Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hey anyone have anything to say about these?

Penn state
CUNY City College
SUNY cortland
Pace university
The college of Saint Rose
I've spent some time at both PSU & Cortland and have friends who have graduated from both.

PSU - very large school - very rural & remote location - the town is pretty much the university - nice campus - community is tailored to the school - something for everyone on campus - big time athletics - well thought of in reputation - good party scene .... a lot of events for students ... can get a bit busy at times though

Cortland - smaller campus (their total enrollment would be less than an incoming class at PSU) - although rural it's not really isolated .... Cortland is a typical upstate small city and you are close to Ithaca (very cool place), not far from Syracuse (better shopping, etc) and if for some reason you wanted to go to Binghamton that is not far either .... a lot more schools in the immediate area as well and social life can travel a little bit

cortland has a good reputation - especially for teachers - small athletics, but competative - smaller classes - architecture is distinctly SUNY (a couple really outstanding buildings and the rest are just kind of there) ..... pretty tight knit community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
George Mason in VA? Anyone familiar with that school? What is the campus like? Academically for a student wanting to go on to medical school, good choice?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Cortland - smaller campus (their total enrollment would be less than an incoming class at PSU) - although rural it's not really isolated .... Cortland is a typical upstate small city and you are close to Ithaca (very cool place), not far from Syracuse (better shopping, etc) and if for some reason you wanted to go to Binghamton that is not far either .... a lot more schools in the immediate area as well and social life can travel a little bit

cortland has a good reputation - especially for teachers - small athletics, but competative - smaller classes - architecture is distinctly SUNY (a couple really outstanding buildings and the rest are just kind of there) ..... pretty tight knit community
Co-signing everything said here about SUNY Cortland. It's not a bad place, especially if you have a car and don't mind cold weather. But it is more of a regional school.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
George Mason in VA? Anyone familiar with that school? What is the campus like? Academically for a student wanting to go on to medical school, good choice?
My understanding is that it's a suitcase school in an suburban area. I think it's a good match school for a B student.

If you are looking for a good LAC for a potential med school student that is known for good merit aid, you might want to look at Juniata College in Pennsylvania. Juniata College, by any measure one of the best liberal arts colleges in the U.S. They have an incredible acceptance rate for grad schools. A very good friend of my kids graduated from there and enjoyed it. He's now in law school in the PNW.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am not attacking the poster above, so let's get that out of the way.

My experience in Virginia (and I worked for one of the major universities and had friends at others) has been that their is a class consciousness to which I have not seen in other regions of the country.

First tier is UVa and VaTech is you are a technology grad. And maybe some of the smaller private and state schools in the Shenandoah region.

Second tier would be places like ODU, George Mason, James Madison, etc.

However, when you look at the medical students at MCV and the other medical schools, you see a more broad diversity of schools NOT limited to the top tier schools.

My recommendation is to visit the school. Before you make the journey, set up an appointment with the Pre-medical or Pre-Dental advisor (most large universities have one) and try to meet with the chairman of the departments that your child is interested in. If you make appointments, you would be surprised the access that you MIGHT have to them. (And if you do NOT have access to them, it is something that you should consider before shelling out the megabucks to attend that university.)

Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Visited St Rose today, beautiful campus, nice people, new buildings, small classes, nice area... I want to see myself there but I just can't. I didn't have that WOW... I think I will be adding it to a match/ saftey school... Still have a ton to visit though.. any experience with wanting to like a college but just not????

Next ones I want to visit: Syracuse, Le Moyne, Marywood, CUNY City... No Penn State, no RUtgers

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: edited to correct school name

Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My understanding is that it's a suitcase school in an suburban area. I think it's a good match school for a B student.

If you are looking for a good LAC for a potential med school student that is known for good merit aid, you might want to look at Juniata College in Pennsylvania. Juniata College, by any measure one of the best liberal arts colleges in the U.S. They have an incredible acceptance rate for grad schools. A very good friend of my kids graduated from there and enjoyed it. He's now in law school in the PNW.
Ok, probably not a fit for her. They have been sending her some "recruiting" info for golf. She defiantly does NOT want a suitcase college and does not want a school that is a "slack" school.

Thanks for the Juniata suggestion. We have plenty of top notch Liberal Arts schools here and for a DIII school, not really worth going out of state for her quite honestly.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am not attacking the poster above, so let's get that out of the way.

My experience in Virginia (and I worked for one of the major universities and had friends at others) has been that their is a class consciousness to which I have not seen in other regions of the country.

First tier is UVa and VaTech is you are a technology grad. And maybe some of the smaller private and state schools in the Shenandoah region.

Second tier would be places like ODU, George Mason, James Madison, etc.

However, when you look at the medical students at MCV and the other medical schools, you see a more broad diversity of schools NOT limited to the top tier schools.

My recommendation is to visit the school. Before you make the journey, set up an appointment with the Pre-medical or Pre-Dental advisor (most large universities have one) and try to meet with the chairman of the departments that your child is interested in. If you make appointments, you would be surprised the access that you MIGHT have to them. (And if you do NOT have access to them, it is something that you should consider before shelling out the megabucks to attend that university.)
Part of the reason for these posts is to rule out schools before we waste the time visiting. With TooBusy's information, we ruled this one out just based on the fact that it is a suitcase college-not what she is looking for. We simply can't visit every school.

She has 3 schools on her "list" right now that she would be happy attending and for a junior, I think that is pretty good. She has visited all of them and are all very similar in what they offer/campus life, etc. The hitch to all of this is that she is getting recruited to play golf, so, depending on offers there, these 3 may or may not be on her list next year.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
golfgal, Are you in the midwest? My niece is a freshman at the University of Wooster in Ohio and she LOVES it. The campus looks gorgeous. Looks like they have biology and womens golf....Fighting Scots Women's Golf - Wooster

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
golfgal, Are you in the midwest? My niece is a freshman at the University of Wooster in Ohio and she LOVES it. The campus looks gorgeous. Looks like they have biology and womens golf....Fighting Scots Women's Golf - Wooster
I will tell her about this. With a DIII liberal arts type school, we can find that here pretty easily. If she goes "that" far away, it would be for a top academic school with a nice golf scholarship and some merit money. She is being recruited by the top DIII teams already and has several DI and DII colleges interested in her and while this campus looks great, the golf program isn't very good....sorry. The girls on that college team wouldn't make DD's high school team....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities