Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 10:55 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm going to feel bad for Colorado when Sanders leaves. Most of the players are there for him personally, and dozens will follow him. There'll be nothing left, far worse than pre-Sanders even.

He's has some great recruiting successes, but does he have broad enough appeal for Alabama? Flashy types in skill positions often like him. But it seems like he tosses players quickly rather than seeing what they can grow into in a year or two. He throws them under the bus in press conferences. He might not have the same relationship with the trench guys. And we don't know what he wants to do when his kids aren't on the team.

It seems like a sketchy package for a team like Alabama that will expect to keep the train going.

As for great players becoming coaches, it's often unsuccessful. Number one is they often can't understand why regular players can't do the amazing physical things they once did. And even if they know one position better than any non-playing coach, they don't know the other positions.
I don't think he will leave but he has to do a better job this season at Colorado. At least have a winning record. In his mind, he believes he can win now. We'll see. Lincoln Riley used to transfer portal to get USC back to prominence. Bama wouldn't interest Prime. He wants to create his own legacy, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
You think all black people are flashy? The real world isn't like that. I meant what I wrote, that's it.
I'm sure you did.

Quote:
Sanders hasn't recruited in the trenches anywhere near as well. Even he's said that.
Let me let you in on a secret: OL is the hardest position to recruit in football.

OL tends to have more misses than any other position. For one, most 18 year-olds don't weigh 300+ lbs and it's hard to predict whether they can put on the required mass to play the position. Second, you might have a kid who has played LG his entire football life, but then gets into college and gets asked to play RG, which has completely different footwork and involves a lot more hitting. So the learning curve is often too steep even for a talented recruit. So to get 4-5 quality linemen, you need to be taking several linemen in every recruiting class with the hopes that a few actually pan out. And most programs can't get a couple of quality commits in a decade much less 2 in a single cycle.

But also, you're just wrong on his OL recruiting. He's only been at Colorado for a season and yet people are making it seem like they're judging 5-6 years of results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvypOmGQ4g

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-11-2024 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM

The funny thing about the "need" for O lineman and D lineman. He has addressed that through the portal. Getting experienced players for the trenches was the best way to go, IMO. Seaton might turn out to be a gem on the line but he is a freshman that is going to make freshman mistakes. Prime's mistake was building from the outside in. Again he was trying to win now that's why he focused on skill players at first. That was his initial plan but he realized that those strong trenches are needed and will help with the Buffs success.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:55 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
I may be reading way too much into this, but not talking about Dabo seems strange to me. So such an obvious choice. He knows the pressure of running a championship contender. He can recruit like crazy. And, he went to Alabama.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
The funny thing about the "need" for O lineman and D lineman. He has addressed that through the portal. Getting experienced players for the trenches was the best way to go, IMO. Seaton might turn out to be a gem on the line but he is a freshman that is going to make freshman mistakes. Prime's mistake was building from the outside in. Again he was trying to win now that's why he focused on skill players at first. That was his initial plan but he realized that those strong trenches are needed and will help with the Buffs success.
It wasn't a "mistake." Saying that you need "strong trenches" to be successful in football is like walking up to Michael Jordan and saying "Defense wins championships, Mike!"

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the level of oversimplification on this board can be astounding at times. Like, imagine someone coming to your job and saying "Just do these 12 things simultaneously, get promoted to CEO, and make $20 million per year" like it's so easy. It's not like any of us can walk up to Deion Sanders, who spent a career studying the game along other ATGs, tell him he needs to win in the trenches, and have him say "Oh really? Wow, never thought about that. Thanks. By the way, are you free next Saturday?" LOL.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:06 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I may be reading way too much into this, but not talking about Dabo seems strange to me. So such an obvious choice. He knows the pressure of running a championship contender. He can recruit like crazy. And, he went to Alabama.
They may end up with Dabo, but I don't believe he's in their Top 3. His personality has become more abrasive over the years, and I think he rubs a lot of the Alabama fan base the wrong way.

That said, Dabo is one of the few coaches out there with an ego big enough to truly believe he can follow Nick Saban. Lane Kiffin is another that comes to mind, and I believe Bama would rather have him if given the choice.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
People are talking about him. I'm not sure why you think nobody's talking about him.

Dabo Swinney is coming off a 4 loss season in the ACC and has missed the CFP the past 3 seasons despite having a massive talent advantage over his competition. For that reason, I wouldn't call him a "no brainer" or even the best choice for the position.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:16 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
I'm going to feel bad for Colorado when Sanders leaves. Most of the players are there for him personally, and dozens will follow him. There'll be nothing left, far worse than pre-Sanders even.

He's has some great recruiting successes, but does he have broad enough appeal for Alabama? Flashy types in skill positions often like him. But it seems like he tosses players quickly rather than seeing what they can grow into in a year or two. He throws them under the bus in press conferences. He might not have the same relationship with the trench guys. And we don't know what he wants to do when his kids aren't on the team.

It seems like a sketchy package for a team like Alabama that will expect to keep the train going.

As for great players becoming coaches, it's often unsuccessful. Number one is they often can't understand why regular players can't do the amazing physical things they once did. And even if they know one position better than any non-playing coach, they don't know the other positions.

I see what you're saying and.. I didn't read race into it. Some people just do that with everything.

What I believe you're getting at here.. Deion has had big players coming to him. He hasn't really gone out at gotten anyone.

Let's be honest.. The same could be said of Saban in a way. People want to go play for someone with the success level that he's had AND the number of people who have played for him that have gone on to the pros. Success makes recruiting far easier. With Saban gone, it's going to get harder. In fact, I believe one five star has already decommitted.

Prime had success down at Jacksonville State.. And that success carried over to help recruiting at Colorado.. But.. What now that there's been a LACK of success there?

The good news.. I think Colorado is a very nice school.. That alone might make some people want to come there. But.. Likely not the calibur of player that intends to go on to the NFL. Not if they aren't winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm sure you did.

Let me let you in on a secret: OL is the hardest position to recruit in football.

OL tends to have more misses than any other position. For one, most 18 year-olds don't weigh 300+ lbs and it's hard to predict whether they can put on the required mass to play the position. Second, you might have a kid who has played LG his entire football life, but then gets into college and gets asked to play RG, which has completely different footwork and involves a lot more hitting. So the learning curve is often too steep even for a talented recruit. So to get 4-5 quality linemen, you need to be taking several linemen in every recruiting class with the hopes that a few actually pan out. And most programs can't get a couple of quality commits in a decade much less 2 in a single cycle.

But also, you're just wrong on his OL recruiting. He's only been at Colorado for a season and yet people are making it seem like they're judging 5-6 years of results.

Iowa seems to do a damn fine job of it. Many of the midwestern schools do. Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. Pending on whether you want to consider Texas and Michigan/Wisconsin as 'midwest'.. Maybe just say Big 10..

Maybe i'm just skewed in the thinking there. Just seems Iowa has a pretty good record of quality OL going to the NFL.

Quote:
I wouldn't put them in the same category. At all. Deion Sanders played 14 seasons in the NFL and is regarded as the best ever at his position. Dabo was a walk on at Alabama who barely saw the field and ended up working in real estate at one point. Deion's knowledge of the Xs and Os far exceeds Dabo's and it's a bit disrespectful to suggest otherwise.

I think many people around here vastly underestimate the amount of study required to be good at a position in the defensive secondary. Their technical understanding of leverage, gapping, route trees, coverages, etc. is going to be far higher than the average defensive cooordinator's at the college level, even among large programs. There's nothing Bill Belichik or Nick Saban knows that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed don't know. It's just that most of the great players don't have to go into coaching because they've already made a ton of money and can continue making money other ways. This is why we're unlikely to ever see Peyton or Brady wearing a headset on Sundays (unless it's in a booth).

Swinney's career at Alabama compares basically with Sean McVay's at Miami, OH.

So.. You're saying it's insulting to compare McVay to Prime as well?

Old 01-11-2024, 12:24 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Yeah, some people can make anything about race.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a "mistake." Saying that you need "strong trenches" to be successful in football is like walking up to Michael Jordan and saying "Defense wins championships, Mike!"

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but the level of oversimplification on this board can be astounding at times. Like, imagine someone coming to your job and saying "Just do these 12 things simultaneously, get promoted to CEO, and make $20 million per year" like it's so easy. It's not like any of us can walk up to Deion Sanders, who spent a career studying the game along other ATGs, tell him he needs to win in the trenches, and have him say "Oh really? Wow, never thought about that. Thanks. By the way, are you free next Saturday?" LOL.
I'll take the bait. Obviously, it was a mistake because that O-line was horrible and got Sheduer killed since the TCU game. By the end of the season, he was barely walking. The D-line couldn't stop a nose bleed. A similar trend could be seen when Washington played Michigan for the CFP. Michigan's trench play on both sides of the ball was the difference which nullified Washington's superior passing game. Trench play is why Colorado lost to Stanford when the Cardinal was the worse team in the Pac-12 at the time. As to your MJ comment, defense does win championships. When his supporting cast arrived, i.e. Horace, Pippen, etc., well you know the rest. The Bulls thrived to make it "simplistic" for you. I am a Prime fan from his playing days. Don't get me wrong. He's made some gaffes in his philosophy in building a roster. No doubt he knows the game but sometimes when you are in the mix you can't always see what's going on around you. That's why he got rid of or "encouraged" his assistant coaches to leave. I said it before. He had many foxes in the hen house. Hopefully, he doesn't have to do anymore house cleaning and focus on developing his squad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football