Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 12:03 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Congrats to Michigan in OT

And a big BUH BYE to Bama who shouldn't have been in the top 4.

Sweet start to the New Year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Completely agree. Alabama has had some great teams, but I don’t think this was one of them. This is a team that barely beat a mediocre Auburn team toward the end of the season but was still rewarded by the CFP committee.
These posts raise a fairly obvious question. If Alabama should not have been in the top 4/playoffs and their team was not very good, then why did the game with the supposed number 1 and favorite to win the championship now go into overtime?

I will agree with you that the team Alabama had this year was not great. The media loved to hype them up and went on and on about how much the quarterback (Milroe) had improved and even mentioned him as a Heisman candidate a few times (which was laughable). Their offense was basically handicapped due to having to strip the playbook down to glorified advanced high school plays. They had to mix in quite a bit of RPO's with quarterback runs because he simply could not execute a more advanced set of plays or progress through check downs. Did he get better as the season went on.....maybe but then again the Auburn game and the CFP semifinal looked more like a team playing a running back as a quarterback and trying to make it work. But......and this is a big but......they almost beat Michigan in the semifinal and had a very good chance of winning the championship with what everyone wants to call a bad team who received favoritism just because they are in the SEC.

We just witnessed the best pair of semi-final games since the 4 team playoff format started 10 years ago. Would you rather had inferior teams in yet again and watched one or two boring blow outs again? If FSU had been in and played Michigan, considering the quarterback they would have had to play, it would almost undoubtedly been a complete worthless 30 point blow out. I am happy with the product we got to watch this year. Both games were competitive and enjoyable to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 12:48 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If Alabama should not have been in the top 4/playoffs and their team was not very good, then why did the game with the supposed number 1 and favorite to win the championship now go into overtime?
The same reason they beat Auburn -- because their opponent repeatedly tried to give the game away. The difference is that Auburn is more inept than Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If FSU had been in and played Michigan, considering the quarterback they would have had to play, it would almost undoubtedly been a complete worthless 30 point blow out.
False. I saw nothing in either of Michigan's postseason games that made me think that FSU, even with Rodemaker at QB, would not have been able to compete with them.

FSU with JT would have beaten any of the playoff teams convincingly. FSU with their backup QB would have had a likely shot to beat any of them.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:03 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
False. I saw nothing in either of Michigan's postseason games that made me think that FSU, even with Rodemaker at QB, would not have been able to compete with them.

FSU with JT would have beaten any of the playoff teams convincingly. FSU with their backup QB would have had a likely shot to beat any of them.

I thought that FSU was ripped off.. But.. The way their team reacted has basically changed my mind. What I think should have happened.. Their players should have been astoundingly ticked off by it, which happened.. They should have showed up and played in the bowl game against Georgia and proved that they belonged. That did NOT happen.

Instead.. Half their team stayed home. I lost all respect for what they accomplished this past season due to that.

I will still maintain.. I think Georgia had a right to be upset.. If we take FSU out of the equation.. Yes.. Georgia had a H2H loss against Alabama.. but.. It was a VERY close loss. It was their only loss.. In three years. While I'm not going to say that the committee got it wrong.. I certainly could get in on the argument that Georgia deserved the #4 spot over Alabama. And since their team showed up for their bowl game.. I certainly would say they deserved it over FSU.

The knock on that thinking.. You saw the improvement in Alabama over the course of the year. You saw a lot of growth from Milroe. Georgia was.. About the same all year. I don't think any of us thought that Alabama would be a playoff team after the South Florida game. and.. I even said.. The benching of Milroe would go one of two ways.. He'd take it as a challenge and step up.. Or it would destroy his confidence. While Milroe I don't think is near as talented as many of the QBs that have come out of Alabama the past 7 years or so.. He impressed me with his attitude.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:18 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I thought that FSU was ripped off.. But.. The way their team reacted has basically changed my mind. What I think should have happened.. Their players should have been astoundingly ticked off by it, which happened.. They should have showed up and played in the bowl game against Georgia and proved that they belonged. That did NOT happen.

Instead.. Half their team stayed home. I lost all respect for what they accomplished this past season due to that.

I will still maintain.. I think Georgia had a right to be upset.. If we take FSU out of the equation.. Yes.. Georgia had a H2H loss against Alabama.. but.. It was a VERY close loss. It was their only loss.. In three years. While I'm not going to say that the committee got it wrong.. I certainly could get in on the argument that Georgia deserved the #4 spot over Alabama. And since their team showed up for their bowl game.. I certainly would say they deserved it over FSU.

The knock on that thinking.. You saw the improvement in Alabama over the course of the year. You saw a lot of growth from Milroe. Georgia was.. About the same all year. I don't think any of us thought that Alabama would be a playoff team after the South Florida game. and.. I even said.. The benching of Milroe would go one of two ways.. He'd take it as a challenge and step up.. Or it would destroy his confidence. While Milroe I don't think is near as talented as many of the QBs that have come out of Alabama the past 7 years or so.. He impressed me with his attitude.
If Alabama improved over the season, it sure didn’t show against a medocre Auburn team. I agree Georgia should have been #4 over Alabama.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:39 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
What I think should have happened.. Their players should have been astoundingly ticked off by it, which happened.. They should have showed up and played in the bowl game against Georgia and proved that they belonged. That did NOT happen.
I agree.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:48 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
If Alabama improved over the season, it sure didn’t show against a medocre Auburn team. I agree Georgia should have been #4 over Alabama.

I give a pass to rival games. Any given year.. Auburn could be winless and Alabama undefeated.. Auburn has a chance to win that game. Same with Michigan/OSU.. Clemson/USC and any number of other rivalries in college football.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:44 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
The bottom line is Alabama polticked its way into the Playoff, had its chance, and ultimately choked.

Season over.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The same reason they beat Auburn -- because their opponent repeatedly tried to give the game away. The difference is that Auburn is more inept than Michigan.

lol - Can I get some of whatever you are smoking?

btw 63-3 says it all.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:16 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
I give a pass to rival games. Any given year.. Auburn could be winless and Alabama undefeated.. Auburn has a chance to win that game. Same with Michigan/OSU.. Clemson/USC and any number of other rivalries in college football.
Completely disagree with this.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:40 AM

116 posts, read 35,390 times
This is excellent.

Now, Ohio State won't lose recruiting battles to Alabama. I honestly don't know if Caleb Downs will come or not. Now, the biggest worry moving forward is getting past Kirby Smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football