Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 07:05 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times

Advertisements

Lots of hype around the Manning kid, but he will redshirt this year - at least that is the supposed plan. We shall see though.
We are hoping Ewers has developed and will be more consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 04:42 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Lots of hype around the Manning kid, but he will redshirt this year - at least that is the supposed plan. We shall see though.
We are hoping Ewers has developed and will be more consistent.

Anyone think he's going to be there past his Junior year?

So, unless you've got a proven quantity at QB right now, hell, even if you do.. I don't think i'd redshirt him. Maybe he doesn't start all year, but I'd think you want him in there getting game experience during blowouts at the very least.

Maybe he pulls a Trevor Lawrence and you have three (nearly) full years from him.

But, if not.. I mean, he's GOING to be the starter next year and the year after.. So.. rather than having him go in cold next season.. At least have him available this year.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Will Clemson claw its way back into contention?

Can Michigan keep up their momentum?

Is there a dark horse?

My dark horse would be Tennessee, or Miami...yours?
Clemson's done no more time at the top.

Tennessee and Texas are my choices. One for its coach and the other for the talent hot bed it is in the middle off but not coaching or scheming them to the top and selection of who recruit has been questionable for some time.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:49 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Will Clemson claw its way back into contention?

Can Michigan keep up their momentum?

Is there a dark horse?

My dark horse would be Tennessee, or Miami...yours?
This could be Clemson's year. I'd put them third behind Georgia and Alabama in terms of chances to win the national championship. Ohio State, LSU, and FSU are the other contenders. Harbaugh just don't care enough about the postseason to make Michigan a reasonable possibility.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
This could be Clemson's year. I'd put them third behind Georgia and Alabama in terms of chances to win the national championship. Ohio State, LSU, and FSU are the other contenders. Harbaugh just don't care enough about the postseason to make Michigan a reasonable possibility.

Clemson's got too many unanswered questions for me to say that right now Their problem previously was mainly QB. Now.. DJ wanted to blame that on the playbook.. The coaches basically said "This is what he could handle".. The only real way we'll know for sure is how he plays at Oregon State. Because, the offense is totally new at Clemson now.

How will Klubnik acclimate? They still have excellent RBs. WR are unproven. New kicker. Defense looks good..

So.. I don't know. Look, I can certainly see them making a run. In theory, even a single loss MIGHT still get them in.. Pending on if FSU, ND and South Carolina do this year.. If they're as good as expected. Most years, they'd just have to win out because of a weak ACC.. But.. FSU, ND, and.. I'm kinda interested to see how UNC does. I dont' expect them to make a run, but.. I like what's happening there.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I'm not saying Clemson won't be able to return to the top, but looking back, their amazing run lasted 5 years (2015-2019), where they went to the National Championship game 4 times and won it twice. They peaked in 2018, heck Saban has never gone 15-0 like Dabo did that year.

Most fans bases would give their right arm to get one national title in their favorite program's existence!

Old 08-11-2023, 06:19 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Poor Wash. St. and Ore. St. Tsk, tsk. Two teams still trying to get an invite to the prom.

https://apnews.com/article/pac12-ore...table%20ground.

While Washington and Oregon are headed to the Big Ten, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are bound for the Big 12 and Stanford and California are talking with the ACC, the Cougars and Beavers are still trying to find their own stable ground.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:39 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Clemson's got too many unanswered questions for me to say that right now Their problem previously was mainly QB. Now.. DJ wanted to blame that on the playbook.. The coaches basically said "This is what he could handle".. The only real way we'll know for sure is how he plays at Oregon State. Because, the offense is totally new at Clemson now.

How will Klubnik acclimate? They still have excellent RBs. WR are unproven. New kicker. Defense looks good..

So.. I don't know. Look, I can certainly see them making a run. In theory, even a single loss MIGHT still get them in.. Pending on if FSU, ND and South Carolina do this year.. If they're as good as expected. Most years, they'd just have to win out because of a weak ACC.. But.. FSU, ND, and.. I'm kinda interested to see how UNC does. I dont' expect them to make a run, but.. I like what's happening there.
I agree that I do not think Clemson will win the ACC. I'm not sure who will but they are not maintaining their eliteness with the key losses they've had over recent years - vs. S Carolina, at Notre Dame, against Ohio State in the CFP, etc. They really need Klubnik to be THE guy. Any elite contender has a high quality QB. If he's not, then forget it. FSU has Travis, UNC has Maye.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I agree that I do not think Clemson will win the ACC. I'm not sure who will but they are not maintaining their eliteness with the key losses they've had over recent years - vs. S Carolina, at Notre Dame, against Ohio State in the CFP, etc. They really need Klubnik to be THE guy. Any elite contender has a high quality QB. If he's not, then forget it. FSU has Travis, UNC has Maye.

Well, don't put words in my mouth.. I didn't say that they wouldn't win the ACC.. Just that it's too early to tell.

Their 'key losses' the past few years have pretty much all come down to QB play.

The loss against ND was a Trevor Lawrence team, but remember he didn't play that game. And they lost it in Double OT.

The loss against Carolina last year.. You remember DJ's stats? 8 of 29 for 99 yards, 1TD and 1INT.. And they STILL lost by only 1 point.

FSU.. They're on the rise. Are they better than Clemson? Again.. I can't say that until I see what Clemson's new look offense can do. I'm happy that their defense will still be good (not elite, but good).. but the offense is a total unknown.

Which Klubnik do we get? The ACC Championship Klubnik who went 20/24 for 279 and a TD

Or the Orange Bowl Klubnik who was 30/54 for 320 with 0 TDs and 2 INTs?

With Kobe Pace transferring. Their RB depth is still excellent. Shipley and Mafah are still a good 1-2. They have NO senior WRs.. Beaux Collins is the most experienced and he's a junior.

I'll still maintain that the 2015 season team that lost in the national championship to Alabama might have been a better overall team than the next year that beat Alabama.

They COULD have won the 16 and 17 championships.. Save for a.. Admittedly, gutsy onside kick call by Saban. He saw the way the game was going, and the only way to flip the score was that onside kick.. And they pulled it off.

People gave Clemson no chance in that game, and they gave Alabama all they could handle.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
I think Michigan can contend as can PSU & LSU. People are quitting on Saban too soon, I wouldn't be shocked if they return this year to the top. Can't help but be impressed with UGA but 3 peat is asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football