Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Harbaugh be fired?
Yes 2 8.70%
No 21 91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 03:00 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times

Advertisements

There is literally no excuse for a coach to be in a position that long and field such a wretched team. Especially in a program such as Michigan that's supposedly elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
that poll HAS to be backwards! If Michigan fans want to keep Harbaugh they are basically saying "we're just fine being a mediocre team and we don't really care about post season games or championships"

ok (shrugs)

Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There is literally no excuse for a coach to be in a position that long and field such a wretched team. Especially in a program such as Michigan that's supposedly elite.
I wouldn't necessarily call Michigan "elite", one National Title in the last 70 years (1997), no Big Ten Championships in the last 16 years, and going 2-17 against Ohio State over the last 19 years is definitely NOT "elite"!

Michigan definitely has a name brand and did great back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, but it seems like they are trying to live off that history and make people believe they are an elite program, when in reality they are not, maybe back then, but not now.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I see what you're saying, but it shouldn't be good enough for a program like Michigan to settle for being extremely mediocre just because their head coach is a well known name.

Who do they replace him with? I don't know personally, and maybe the Michigan fans out there don't know, but someone in Michigan should have an idea, it's their job to look into what is best for their program that has become irrelevant. It doesn't need to be a well established name either. Look at Ohio State, Urban Meyer steps down and they promote Ryan Day to head coach. His name held no weight, no one outside of Columbus knew much about him, and the Buckeyes could have attracted any big name out there to come join, but Urban Meyer and Ohio State didn't publicly need to research the next guy in line and include the fans in the search, they did it all internally and made a really good choice. In fact, recruiting has even gotten better since Urban left. No slight against Urban, but the point is if Day can do it, then certainly someone can help do that for Michigan. Harbaugh will not beat Ohio State this year, unless a miracle happens, and I don't know how Michigan can accept a high profile coach being 0-6 in his first 6 attempts against the Buckeyes.

This is just my opinion. Again, I'm not even a Michigan fan. But as a Buckeye fan, Harbaugh no longer concerns me like he did when he was first hired at Michigan. And sadly, every other program, and recruit, likely feels the same way.

I agree.

Every major D1 school pays an athletic director big bucks to know the answer to that question. Any AD who does have a "list of prospective coaches" on hand at all times should be fired.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
that poll HAS to be backwards! If Michigan fans want to keep Harbaugh they are basically saying "we're just fine being a mediocre team and we don't really care about post season games or championships"

ok (shrugs)

The poll was finalized after the 2017 season.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Who would UM hire to replace him? Who out there is a better candidate?

Old 03-03-2021, 12:11 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Who would UM hire to replace him? Who out there is a better candidate?
At this point, the list would be pretty long. How many of them would be willing to take on the mess in Ann Arbor is another matter entirely.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:39 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
At this point, the list would be pretty long. How many of them would be willing to take on the mess in Ann Arbor is another matter entirely.
Okay. Who do you have?

Old 03-14-2021, 09:23 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
As pointed out, this poll is from 2017.

While Michigan had a terrible season in 2020, it was also a rather different season than anything seen before or since.

The reality is that Michigan and Jim Harbaugh negotiated a new deal that makes it financially easier for Warde Manuel, the Michigan Athletic Director, to terminate Harbaugh's contract. Additionally, Harbaugh has shaken up his staff, replacing a great number (possibly half) of his assistant coaches. And there's always new recruits - Harbaugh may not get so many top recruits like Alabama or Ohio State does, but Michigan usually does better than the rest of the Big 10 in recruitment.

I think that Jim Harbaugh has at least one and possibly two seasons to put together a program that is highly competitive in the Big Ten. IMO, in the next two years he needs two good seasons, at least one victory against OSU, and a berth in the Big 10 Championship game, else he's probably out the door. I do acknowledge that there are some in the Michigan fan-base who are perfectly content if Michigan remains at the competitive level of Iowa, but I believe that most Michigan fans expect more than being the sixth best team in the Big Ten.

As to who replaces Harbaugh if he's shown the door sometime in 2022 - Warde Manuel has 12 to 24 months to conduct a search.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:58 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call Michigan "elite", one National Title in the last 70 years (1997), no Big Ten Championships in the last 16 years, and going 2-17 against Ohio State over the last 19 years is definitely NOT "elite"!

Michigan definitely has a name brand and did great back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, but it seems like they are trying to live off that history and make people believe they are an elite program, when in reality they are not, maybe back then, but not now.
Michigan these last 15-20 years has been that suburban high school with middle to upper middle class families who swear their kid's school is good because well their kid goes there, and they would never send their child to an inferior school or one that was not living up to it's potential. That's Michigan in a nutshell. Michigan is good because it has history on it's side. It has that block M to fall back on. It has that famous helmet decal that has been around ages to fall back on. Michigan lives off the notion that it's impossible to be bad because well we're Michigan!!! We can't be bad.

On a side note, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who is a huge UofM fan and we discussed or at least tried to discuss how is it that during these last 20 years, tOSU has been through 4 coaches and UofM has been through....4 coaches, yet one program has come out the other side time and time again as the superior program and by all accounts has pushed their program into hyperdrive and left the other one behind. It's not as if UofM is the lil sisters of the poor.

Will UofM return to what they were in the late 90s / early 00s?? Time will tell.

If you're a UofM fan just be thankful you don't have RichRod leading the way. That one is still a head scratcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football