Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Congrats.

Now beat the Oklahoma teams.
Thanks, that was a crazy game! I'm still shocked because Tech was killing us in the first half.

As for the Oklahoma teams, boy I hope we can!

You are a prime example of the class and respect that comes with Big 12! Back in the Big East days it was much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Week 7 Recap:

Final Score:

West Virginia 46, #24 Texas Tech 35

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWV3Ufkx-4

If you had any doubt that this West Virginia team is determined and passionate, than just watch the second half over their comeback victory over Tech. The first half of the game was the Mountaineers worst so far this season. Credit Tech for their incredible performance, but West Virginia certainly allowed Tech to run all over them offensively. Tech's defense also held WV in check and sacked Grier often. Let's just say that at half time the game looked grim at best! Then all of the sudden the lights started coming on and the game changed. Tech was able to get one more score, but after that it was WVU as they scored 29 unanswered points during the last 20 mins. They also held Tech to 4 straight 3 and outs, with an interception of Tech's last possession. The defense made the right adjustments and really showed up in the second half. The offense found their magic and Grier threw again for over 300 yards and 5 TDs! Our run game wasn't good, but the pass game was really efficient. David Sills is leading the nation with 12 TD catches, and had 3 yesterday. I mentioned in the pre-game predictions that Ka'raun White was going to have a big day and he did with 2 TDs, over 100 yards receiving, and his TDs coming in the fourth with one giving us the lead. We are super proud of our Mountaineers, as they showed why they are a good team!

Final thoughts: It is nice beating ranked teams and gaining much deserved respect!

Back in the polls at #23

Next up: @ Baylor

Let's Gooooo!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2017, 07:40 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It was unfortunate to say the least. Hopefully the Mountaineers can shake it off and show up for tomorrow's match-up against Tech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I agree that there were a couple of really bad calls in that game, but I was actually there, and I'm not convinced they were intentional. The XII is awesome for WVU. There are bad calls in every game, and unless one team is dramatically better than the other, bad calls can sometimes determine the outcome.
Nah college football is rigged and fixed bros. It is every bit all about money as much as the pros are. The Big 12 views WVU as the spoiler and the red headed stepchild. They want at least 2 or 3 teams to have a shot at getting into the playoffs and/or elite bowl games, and the rest of the Big 12 teams to be dogs.

WVU is always the spoiler and has an ok team, but is never good enough to get into that discussion or into the top 10.

Mark my words if Oklahoma State is 6-1 when WVU plays them. The refs will try and help Ok State win. I'm calling it right now. I wouldn't put money on that game and take WVU in a million years. The fix will be in.

Now if Oklahoma State goes into Morgantown at 5-2 and WVU is also 5-2, they will let the game play out and not put in the fix for Oklahoma State.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-15-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Week 8:

#23 West Virginia (4-2) @ Baylor (0-6) // Kickoff 8:00 PM EST (7:00 PM Central) // Televised on FS2

Baylor Homecoming

All Time Series: 3-2 WVU

Last Meeting:
Dec 3, 2016 // Baylor 21, WVU 24

Highlights from Last Year's Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiP2dObezU

In last weeks episode of the Billy Grier Hillbillies, the "coonskin capers" were able to muster up an impressive second half rally to stun the Pink Raiders of University of Texas at Lubbock The amazing comeback was a high energy endeavor that got the Mountaineer faithful ignited! This week however, the Mighty Mounts now have to travel to Waco to face a winless Baylor Bears team. The Fighting Baptist will be celebrating their homecoming this weekend, and are looking for their first win of the year over a hot West Virginia squad. The Mountaineers have never won in Waco, so they are looking to end that streak.

This game just screams!!!

I am genuinely concerned for this game. I feel that the Mountaineers aren't going to take Baylor series and will not show up for this late night contest in Texas. Their crowd will show up, and their play makers will be looking at our defense like a alligator at a daycare! However, if West Virginia is the team I believe they are (and have proven thus far), they will come prepared and will come away with the win.

Smoking Musket Game Breakdown:
https://www.smokingmusket.com/2017/1...otball-preview

Game Threads:

ESPN favors West Virginia at 70.3%

Predictions:

If West Virginia comes to play (as any team should), then West Virginia will pull away in the second half. They will start slow, but in the 3rd will make some big plays on a banged up Bear squad. Grier will be himself, but I think Sills in targeted by the Baylor secondary and he is unable to be Grier's main guy. That means Gary Jennings, Ka'raun White, and Marcus Sims will step up and make some plays for Grier and the offense. The defense will bend, but not break. I think the running game will be back to their usual caliber.

Final Score:

West Virginia 45, Baylor 28

Let's Gooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Week 8 Recap:

Final Score:

#23 West Virginia 38, Baylor 36

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjpsfdkTJhk

West Virginia about were on the receiving end of an embarrassing come from behind loss like Texas Tech received from the Mountaineers last week. However, the Mountaineers were able to escape Waco with a victory courtesy of a big defensive stop on Baylor's two point conversion try in the last few seconds. West Virginia was fortunate to gain their first ever victory in Waco, when our defense decided to take the rest of the night off in the 4th quarter. The Baptist Bears caught some fire late, and decided to make it a ball game coming back from being down 16. The defense looked like they had forgotten that this isn't flag football! Despite how terrible the 4th was, a win is a win on the road in conference play no matter who you are playing. That improves our record to 5-2 (3-1 in conference) and keeps us in the running for a Big 12 championship.

Up next, the Eers welcome #11 Oklahoma State.

West Virginia's defense will have their hands full!!!

Let's Gooooo!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 AM

Sorry for this last minute and condensed preview, but I forgot about it yesterday and I'm heading to the game here this morning.

Week 9:

#10 Oklahoma State @ #22 West Virginia / Noon kickoff (11:00 Am Central) / ABC

West Virginia will have to come out swinging on offense and play tough on defense if they wish to win this game. OSU has a prolific offense, and a solid defense that will give The EERs fits if we can't establish a run game.

Predictions:

Upset!!!!

Let's go Mountaineers!!!!

Old 10-28-2017, 12:54 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
WVU's running game is absolutely atrocious they really need to do something about that for next year.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Sorry for such a late week 9 recap. I have been super busy, plus the pathetic play by the Mountaineers didn't exactly motivate me for posting about it.

I will also feature the preview for this week to save a post.

Week 9 Recap:

#11 Oklahoma State 50, #22 West Virginia 39

WVU Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opuNu8ttZKk

Thoughts:

sigh..... Well this game was a major disappointment. The EERs forced 5 turnovers, including a pick six and blocked punt for a TD and couldn't do anything on offense. The Grier/Sills Show came to a halt Saturday, as Oklahoma States defense bullied the offense around pretty much all game. OSU played good enough to win and played excellent on defense. Our run game over the last 3 weeks have been invisible. The loss puts WVU all but out of the Big 12 Championship game discussion.

Week 10 Preview:

#15 Iowa State @ West Virginia // 3:30 PM EST (2:30 Central) // ESPN2

West Virginia has to play better this week if they want to beat the red hot Cyclones. If West Virginia can't figure out how to run the ball, then ISU will be able to manage our pass offense. In all honesty West Virginia should win this game easily! However, that'e what Oklahoma and TCU said as well.

Predictions:

This will be a close game. WVU will struggle to do what they want, mainly because the run game will start slow. However, I believe they will figure out a way to win in the second half. Grier will have a much better game, and eventually the running backs will find holes. The defense will be fine, but Iowa State will keep it interesting the whole game.

Final Score:

West Virginia 33, Iowas State 31

Let's Goooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM

Week 10 Recap:

Final Score:

West Virginia 20, #15 Iowa State 16

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX9ivJr298k

West Virginia "upset" the #15 ranked Iowa State Cyclones this past weekend to improve to 6-3 and bowl eligibility. I use the word upset lightly because West Virginia is truly the better team, but ISU has had a remarkable year this year. The Mountaineers again didn't play a full game on offense, but did enough in the first half to be able to maintain the lead in the second. I thought the defense played much better, although Iowa State's offense isn't Oklahoma's or Texas Tech's. The EERs bounced back and are still technically in the conference championship race. All scenarios for the Mountaineers making to Arlington include them winning out, as well as ISU beating OSU. It's certainly possible, but if the Mountaineers can't produce a solid 4 quarters of football, then they will be lucky to win 1 more game this season.

Up next the EERs travel to Bill Snyderland to take on team AARP! All jokes aside, I will preview that game tomorrow!

Let's Goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:41 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Playing the Grand Old Man's Wildcats is always a trap game, especially in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football