Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The expanded Playoff will now be switching to a 5-7 format, with the 5 highest ranked conference champions getting a spot, and 7 at large teams. Originally it was going to be a 6-6 model, but with the Pac-12's demise, the powers at be decided to change that.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...2-team-playoff
Highest ranked top 5 champions is a crazy idea.

We have had years where the highest ranked non power 5/4 champions were in the 20s.

Imagine a world where #25 Western Michigan gets in , but not #8 Notre Dame.

This also means those championship losing teams will no longer get those random drops by the voters just to keep them out of bowls.

We have had years where a team in the conference title dropped 4 or 5 spots. That was never logical, but now the voters will have to think strategically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 04:32 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Highest ranked top 5 champions is a crazy idea.

We have had years where the highest ranked non power 5/4 champions were in the 20s.

Imagine a world where #25 Western Michigan gets in , but not #8 Notre Dame.

This also means those championship losing teams will no longer get those random drops by the voters just to keep them out of bowls.

We have had years where a team in the conference title dropped 4 or 5 spots. That was never logical, but now the voters will have to think strategically.
It will still be the CFP Committee ranking the teams. They’ve managed to rig the playoff so far in favor of the name brands, I don’t imagine that changing with the new format.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:36 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
It will still be the CFP Committee ranking the teams. They’ve managed to rig the playoff so far in favor of the name brands, I don’t imagine that changing with the new format.
Totally agree and it is the truth. It seems the non-name brand schools will never have the same opportunities as the name brands. What's the point anymore?

Old 02-24-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Totally agree and it is the truth. It seems the non-name brand schools will never have the same opportunities as the name brands. What's the point anymore?

It will have to change with the format.

We have had years where the champion of a conference was ranked outside the top 10

Can you imagine if the Big 10 champ is an 9-4 Wisconsin who beat an 12-1 Oregon.What about when 9-4 Pitt wins the ACC. And on the other end, the 5th ranked champion is like 8-5 Troy. Youd have a scenario where 3 of the 12 spots are taken by teams outside the top 12.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It will have to change with the format.

We have had years where the champion of a conference was ranked outside the top 10

Can you imagine if the Big 10 champ is an 9-4 Wisconsin who beat an 12-1 Oregon.What about when 9-4 Pitt wins the ACC. And on the other end, the 5th ranked champion is like 8-5 Troy. Youd have a scenario where 3 of the 12 spots are taken by teams outside the top 12.
Shouldn't matter because a conference champion should receive preference. We're crying about a two-loss ACC champion getting in over a one-loss SEC at-large team. Good, the ACC school should be in because they won their conference. Conference champs should be locked in to the Top 4 spots, just how the NFL does its playoff system. It's only fair to conference champions that way. You earn an incentive for winning your conference. Doesn't matter how weak or strong it is.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't matter because a conference champion should receive preference. We're crying about a two-loss ACC champion getting in over a one-loss SEC at-large team. Good, the ACC school should be in because they won their conference. Conference champs should be locked in to the Top 4 spots, just how the NFL does its playoff system. It's only fair to conference champions that way. You earn an incentive for winning your conference. Doesn't matter how weak or strong it is.
First off, the NFL system is wrong.

a 15-2 team could be a 7 seed, a 14-3 team can be left at home. Mean while the division champ could be 5-12

second, no, each conference isnt equal so no, a conference champ doesnt serve to get in just because they won a conference.Otherwise, if you believe what you just said, you would actually be advocating for all conference champs to get in, not just the power 4.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
First off, the NFL system is wrong.

a 15-2 team could be a 7 seed, a 14-3 team can be left at home. Mean while the division champ could be 5-12

second, no, each conference isnt equal so no, a conference champ doesnt serve to get in just because they won a conference.Otherwise, if you believe what you just said, you would actually be advocating for all conference champs to get in, not just the power 4.
If you aren't going to make a level playing ground for all the Power Conferences, then what is the point? You might as well just give the CFP title to the SEC or Big Ten every year. That makes ZERO sense. At that point, don't even play the CFP anymore.

No, I am advocating that a Power Four (not Five anymore) champion each receives a Top 4 seed in CFP. I said nothing about the G5 leagues.... you didn't read my post right.

And your examples of the NFL team records are extreme. The team with the worst record EVER to make the NFL playoffs was the 2010 Seahawks at 7-9. What you mentioned has never, and will never, occur.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
If you aren't going to make a level playing ground for all the Power Conferences, then what is the point? You might as well just give the CFP title to the SEC or Big Ten every year. That makes ZERO sense. At that point, don't even play the CFP anymore.
in my post, I specifically its less about the Autobid and more about it being the top 4 seeds.

Quote:
No, I am advocating that a Power Four (not Five anymore) champion each receives a Top 4 seed in CFP. I said nothing about the G5 leagues.... you didn't read my post right.
I read your post correctly, Im saying your argument isnt logical because you clearly understand all conferences werent equal .

Quote:
And your examples of the NFL team records are extreme. The team with the worst record EVER to make the NFL playoffs was the 2010 Seahawks at 7-9. What you mentioned has never, and will never, occur.
A team with a losing record making the playoffs simply because their division is bad, is not something anyone should support, your argument that they were "only" 7-9 is laughable because still proves my point, especially since one of the 10-6 teams left at home in that conference beat the seahawks head to head. I also remember that 11-5 new England team that missed the playoffs

Old 02-26-2024, 10:25 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
What grinds my gears is the following scenario is likely to happen eventually..

Now that there are no divisions in the B10..

Ohio st and Michigan both are undefeated until they play last game of the season. Doesn't matter who wins they then end up 1 and 2 in the B10 so they play again in the B10 championship game. Doesn't really matter who wins, they'll probably both make the playoffs. Then they could meet in the playoffs

Same game 3 time in one month.. Lame.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
What grinds my gears is the following scenario is likely to happen eventually..

Now that there are no divisions in the B10..

Ohio st and Michigan both are undefeated until they play last game of the season. Doesn't matter who wins they then end up 1 and 2 in the B10 so they play again in the B10 championship game. Doesn't really matter who wins, they'll probably both make the playoffs. Then they could meet in the playoffs

Same game 3 time in one month.. Lame.
I dont necessarily think thats a bad thing.

the Big 10, because of how its division is set up, doesnt always have the 2 best teams in their title game. the SEC has had the same problem before where Alabama and LSU or LSU and Auburn, or even Georgia and Florida were the 2 best teams, but didnt play for the title because of divisions. Best conference record also means the tie breakers work a little bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football