Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2023, 02:55 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

If someone has already posted a thread on this, I hope you will point me to it.

I purchased a 1970's polyester wedding gown from a thrift store several years ago. It is a polyester knit, with some lace around the waist and the neckline. It's in great condition, and it is ivory and not pure white anyway, I'm sure it was all the same Ivory color originally, but the lace portions are more "yellowed" from age.

Has anyone had success removing yellowing from old lace? I have read several methods online, but I would love to hear from someone who has actually discovered a tried and true way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 03:42 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
There's a product called "quilt soak" that has worked for me in the past on vintage fabrics, although I've not tried it on polyester. But it may be worth a shot as it can be used on very delicate fabrics and lace.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:18 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have used denture cleaning powder in a basin of hot water to whiten old linens, but a whole dress would take a lot.

Polyester is a tough fabric, so perhaps it could tolerate Yellow Out laundry additive. It would be a Hail Mary as a last resort. It’s a product that gets stains and dirt out of kids white polyester baseball pants.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:58 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I would ask a professional dry cleaner what they recommend. Usually they have cleaned and stored their fair share of wedding gowns and if that is not a service that they offer they should be able to direct you to someone that does do it.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:39 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,372 times
Default what my mother did

My parents were married in 1960. When my sister got married in the 1990s, she wore Mom's dress.
Before the ceremony, Mom did this: She thoroughly scrubbed the bathtub. She bought some liquid cleaner from Amway. She filled the tub with very cold water, including ice, and then put the entire dress in the bathtub! It was scary watching her!
I don't remember how long the dress soaked, and if she had to scrub any spots, but the dress came out snow white. It was a hot day in June when she did this. She hung the wet gown outside in the sunlight to dry. My sister wore it at her wedding.
The dress is upstairs in my mother's bedroom back in its original storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Yellow Out of Vintage Wedding Dress-1960-april-jim-rosemary.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques