Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2021, 12:44 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems that among the other stuff the younger generation doesn't want, they don't want any of that Navajo jewelry.

They just don't understand or appreciate anything that is handcrafted, do they? They don't want hand made jewelry, they don't want hand woven rugs, they don't want furniture made of rare hardwoods hand crafted by master furniture makers.

My doctor no longer gives me a lollipop when I have a doctor's visit so I will buy myself a treat for being brave. I usually get something like an ice cream bar, but I just had a rough doctor's visit and really deserved a nice treat. I've always wanted a liquid silver necklace, and I deserved it, so I bought one.

Holy cow, Batman. I couldn't believe the prices on the nice Navajo and Hopi jewelry. Peanuts, and absolutely no difference in price between the good stuff and the tourist junk. My sterling silver 20 strand liquid silver was so cheap that I bought an inlaid turquoise pendant to go with it.

So, I guess, thank you, young sprouts, for leaving all that nice stuff for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 11:35 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
It is an unfortunate thing that today's young folk aren't interested in the things you mentioned. But in a way its a good thing, I guess, since you were able to score big! I have some lovely Native American pieces that belonged to my mother and I don't know what I'll do with those, either. I don't want to let them go for peanuts, but the fam doesn't seem interested in any of it and most are vintage items bought on the reservations in the 50's and 60's.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
...... I have some lovely Native American pieces that belonged to my mother and I don't know what I'll do with those,.......

I know that there are some specialty auctions that have sales of native American art. I used to take an Indian Arts magazine and they would have auction prices. There may be auctions still in business.

Not all Native American art has dropped in price. I'd love to have a nice Two Grey Hills rug and prices are really high and nothing really good is for sale. I was never able to afford to buy one and I still can't afford to buy one.

The antique auction that I watch has sold two different native made baskets. Not very interesting ones and I think that the price they got for them was OK, considering there was nothing special about them.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
We have several museum quality collection pieces, that we paid thousands for and considered what we paid excellent prices, that our kids want nothing to do with

Ebay prices don't come close

I'm thinking about finding a museum that's interested and adding it to our wills

Our children are in their 50 and want nothing that we've collected aall our lives

In speaking to friends, it's the same with them

One friend's son begged us to take antique large jade and ivory statues that our friend and his wife spent many thousands of dollars to purchase

Another friend just cleaned house and gave several hundred thousands of dollars worth of antique collectables to The Alzheimers Association to raffle off or sell. They only got pennies on the dollar

Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
COLLECTIBLES AND ANTIQUES are no longer wildly sought after,back in early days of Ebay,everyone claims to be a collector and end up with drawers full of junks.
American Indian jewelry is unique but not everyone cares for their style and material and it does not go well with certain clothing.
These days they want gold,give them gold,and they will come .

Old 04-20-2023, 09:52 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
I have a Navajo watch cuff with 5 turquoise stones on each side I was trying to sell because I've had it for forty something years now and I'm tired of it. People just don't care for the craftsmanship and artistry. The last time I tried to sell it the guy wanted to know the weight of the silver in the watch. He actually thought I. I'd pull the stones and let it go for "melt value". I'd rather be buried with it before selling it for chump change. I have an old Rolex AirKing I bought around 1980 to celebrate my first engineering job which people try to buy nearly every time I wear it but no way I'd part with that.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:54 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
My dad made Indian jewelry. it helped put a couple of kids through college back in the day. I have some of it, and some of his scrap pieces.

Old 04-22-2023, 01:51 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
It's still quite expensive here in Tucson. Perhaps location matters in jewelry as well as real estate.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:25 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It's still quite expensive here in Tucson. Perhaps location matters in jewelry as well as real estate.

I think so. There are numerous auctions here in NM where one can sell/buy Navajo and pueblo jewelry, pueblo pottery and Navajo rugs. Prices are not what they once were, but items get sold and bought. The annual Indian Market in Santa Fe is still packed.

We've donated many pots and rugs to charity auctions here and all sold, some even for more than we paid. Here, one can often go to shows and buy direct from a maker of the item, or from a trader who deals with the maker. There are some shops here we won't frequent because of our concern over authenticity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques