Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:45 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Look at SOLD (not asking) prices on eBay to get an idea of worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 07:31 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm bumping up this old thread because I'm trying to sell some antiques that belonged to my mom. All different kinds of things.

I was aware that some record stores will buy records from you, so I assumed that that would be the case with antique dealers. I thought I could maybe bring the items in by the box and let the dealer go through them. I contacted an "antique mall" made up of many different dealers and asked if I could bring things in for appraisal (although a lot of it my mom had already gotten appraised) and possible purchase. Someone from their online site got back to me and said that the only dealer that they knew who would buy from people had moved out of state. I haven't contacted any others yet.

I don't feel that it's really worth my time and effort to try to list each separate item online. I'm keeping some of her things, but I don't have room for all of it. I suppose I'll end up donating them and hoping they're found by someone who will appreciate them.

In addition to family heirlooms, there are items my mom had thrifted and tried to sell on eBay. Even years ago, she was complaining about what a lot of you have posted here on CD, that a lot of people today just don't want a lot of things that would have sold in the past, and that's another reason why I don't want to put too much work into it.

I just wanted to confirm that this was basically how people sell their personal items, either listing online or renting a booth of some sort.

Thanks for any help!
Around here, you can find antique shops who will pay a lump sum for all the items. Don’t expect them to pay much, but at least you don’t have to haul everything to Goodwill.

My husband collected some things that are small and easy to ship. He is selling them on Etsy. He’s getting less than what he paid, but the listing and selling keeps him busy.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:43 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The indoor flea markets and junk shops are rapidly disappearing around here. I know of four big ones that closed in the last few months. Online and the yearly yard sales that occur around the time of the world's longest yard sale are about all that is left. There are, of course, auctions and estate sales.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:00 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Thanks, everyone, for the responses!

Old 04-17-2024, 02:29 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Look at SOLD (not asking) prices on eBay to get an idea of worth.
100%. A lot of people grossly over inflate the value of items that they are posting.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:32 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm bumping up this old thread because I'm trying to sell some antiques that belonged to my mom. All different kinds of things.

I was aware that some record stores will buy records from you, so I assumed that that would be the case with antique dealers. I thought I could maybe bring the items in by the box and let the dealer go through them. I contacted an "antique mall" made up of many different dealers and asked if I could bring things in for appraisal (although a lot of it my mom had already gotten appraised) and possible purchase. Someone from their online site got back to me and said that the only dealer that they knew who would buy from people had moved out of state. I haven't contacted any others yet.

I don't feel that it's really worth my time and effort to try to list each separate item online. I'm keeping some of her things, but I don't have room for all of it. I suppose I'll end up donating them and hoping they're found by someone who will appreciate them.

In addition to family heirlooms, there are items my mom had thrifted and tried to sell on eBay. Even years ago, she was complaining about what a lot of you have posted here on CD, that a lot of people today just don't want a lot of things that would have sold in the past, and that's another reason why I don't want to put too much work into it.

I just wanted to confirm that this was basically how people sell their personal items, either listing online or renting a booth of some sort.

Thanks for any help!
Take the records to a music store and take what they will give you for it. If you have a lot of stuff of little value, donate it to Goodwill. If you have a lot of stuff of value, consider an estate auction.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Take the records to a music store and take what they will give you for it. If you have a lot of stuff of little value, donate it to Goodwill. If you have a lot of stuff of value, consider an estate auction.
Thanks, that was something else I had wondered about, whether or not people are expected to haggle.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:39 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Hold on. The easy way out is rarely the most profitable. Those who have extensive knowledge of a collector base are in it to make a profit. What they buy for, what they give as ""worth" is to be taken with a truckload of salt.

I have some somewhat rare air force promotional records that were given to radio stations to use as recruitment tools. Some of the players went on to be well respected. I went into a brick and mortar record store, suggesting that a friend had expressed interest and I wanted to check valuation - not even suggesting I might sell. The response was "They aren't worth anything - just give them to the friend." I gave them to myself.

In movie posters, there are any number of buyers who are more than happy to low-ball and laugh. I just sold one that to the untrained eye was worth $20, if that. The actual value - over $1,000.

Sometimes a situation demands just dealing with what ever can be gained on short notice. I CRINGE at people who have extensive collections and will them to offspring without instructions how to handle them to get what they are worth.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
My children (in their 50) like friends kid who were left to clean out house, are minimalists.

They dont want our trinkets and trash (paintings, fine antique furniture, china, silver tableware, figurines, etc), even jewelry. I know MrsM's jewelry, some dating back more than a hundred and fifty years and some pieces in the high 5 figure appraisal value, will end up being sold at scrap gold, platinum and silver plus diamonds (one 5ct) prices. Even family photographs don't interest them

Prices for antiques have dropped.

I suggest that you contact a reputable antique consignment shop in your area and see what they think that they can get you.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hold on. The easy way out is rarely the most profitable. Those who have extensive knowledge of a collector base are in it to make a profit. What they buy for, what they give as ""worth" is to be taken with a truckload of salt.

I have some somewhat rare air force promotional records that were given to radio stations to use as recruitment tools. Some of the players went on to be well respected. I went into a brick and mortar record store, suggesting that a friend had expressed interest and I wanted to check valuation - not even suggesting I might sell. The response was "They aren't worth anything - just give them to the friend." I gave them to myself.

In movie posters, there are any number of buyers who are more than happy to low-ball and laugh. I just sold one that to the untrained eye was worth $20, if that. The actual value - over $1,000.

Sometimes a situation demands just dealing with what ever can be gained on short notice. I CRINGE at people who have extensive collections and will them to offspring without instructions how to handle them to get what they are worth.
This is the situation I have been in. The amount I've already given away is much more than what I have left. Right now, I'm more concerned with simplicity and speed than with making a great profit.

As I've mentioned, my mom had already listed out the appraisal amounts for most of the items. I'm sure the rare records are going to be worth the most at this point, so I'll be looking up those for sure.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; Yesterday at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques