Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Seriously, I though picking a place to live based on politics and religion went out with the pilgrims.
Ummm... No, not really. Would you want to move the Dearborn, MI? And before you say yes, you'd better check it out first. I hope you like your food Halal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:05 PM

104 posts, read 148,478 times
Regarding the invasion of the rude New Yorkers. Strange, I grew up on Long Island and even just 35 miles from New York City it was rural and socially provincial. I graduated in 1962, packed up my stuff and headed west, never looking back. Of course I returned to visit relatives and by some twist of fate find myself living back here after being away in Washington State for most of my adult life (It's more laid back there too). My grandparents came from France in the early 1900s. They kept their cultural traditions and that is what probably insulated me from becoming a Rude New Yorker. We (readers of this posting board) can probably all agree that it is a mistake to stereotype people based on where they come from. Not all Southerners are gracious and hospitable, nor do they have secret meetings with white hoods. Not all Irishmen get drunk and into bar fights etc. But it is difficult not to see "trends" and "tendencies" in regional groups and make generalizations based on these observations. Diane and I recently visited St. Croix for two weeks. We were warned about the high crime rate. For the first few days we were afraid to walk home to our apartment at night. There were "Rasta" groups on dark street corners, sharing rum and conversation. Instead of crossing the streets to avoid them, we began walking by and saying "good evening". These tough-looking fellows responded with "good evening, how you do'in man?". And by the end of our stay we were acknowledged by our street corner friends as members of their community.
The point being that everyone comes from someplace, near by or far away and who we really are is defined by our behavior, attitude, and are willingness to become involved in the community. I am no more a Frenchman than a New Yorker or Washingtonian. I just want a safe, friendly place with some good BBQ near by where I can relax.
Al Mabari

Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM

But choosing a place that has kind and intelligent folks and is safe and beautiful is still in vogue.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
But choosing a place that has kind and intelligent folks and is safe and beautiful is still in vogue.
It is indeed.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:46 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Either buy and island and start your own country or move to downtown Wilmington NC.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:00 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Okay folks, the main reason i joined this site was to find help deciding where i should relocate to. I have severe seasonal depression from Oct-April. Every year i tell myself i'm leaving but then inertia sets in . . .

THIS YEAR I AM MOVING!

SOCIAL: I'm a single chica in 30s, no kids, work from home, estranged from most fam and disconnected from most friends since they all started having kids. 2 cats which i adore

POLITICS: I am so far left that i am falling off the edge on social issues. I am a bit more moderate on fiscal policy but still have liberal values in that area. I'm not a fan of taxes (who is?) but especially since much go to school systems and i don't have kids. I read, but don't utilize the library. And i'm fine to pay for my own trash/recycling. Religion is open.

IDEAL (in no particular order):
  • Mild Winters
  • Liberal Politics
  • Can buy a house for about 250k
  • Low Taxes (on property, and income, don't care as much about sales taxes)
  • SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN!!!
  • Would love to be near the ocean but not mandatory (i don't know if i'd fit in on southern east coast and Cali is prob out of my price range)
  • An active Arts scene (artist is my second job)
  • Cat friendly

Some ideas i've been thinking of for many years:
  • North Carolina coast (but don't know where would be a good fit- suggestions??)
  • Sedona AZ (but not sure about losing daylight since there is no daylight savings time.)
  • Santa Fe or Albuquerque NM (but Albq may be too cold)
  • Maybe somewhere in Cali i haven't considered?
  • Florida- but where??
  • Vegas- low taxes, low COL, sun but do i REALLY want to be near all those "vices?"
I've already ruled out USVI and Hawaii.

Any thoughts (or at least help in whittling down my mega list??)

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

(PS- Sorry if you see this post elsewhere, i'm thinking i should post it in some of the places i'm considering too.)
You do indeed have a quandary.

Most area that are very liberal are also HIGH CoL area because all the things liberals want cost more in tax dollars to support them.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
I just want a safe, friendly place with some good BBQ near by where I can relax.
Well, I hope you know that in NC, what kind of barbecue you like (Eastern or Western, it's an NC thing, research it) can be more divisive than politics, religion, or rudeness!!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most area that are very liberal are also HIGH CoL area because all the things liberals want cost more in tax dollars to support them.
Actually, most "very liberal" areas are in urban areas or on the coasts (or both) and the COL is higher because of the of the desirability of living there, for the most part (nice restaurants, theaters, modern apartments, etc) none of which are cheap, but none of which are "tax dollar" sponges, either. And more educated people live in cities, correlating to better job markets which also raises the average income and thus cost of living.

Those who vote "Blue" tend to be at the top and bottom quintiles of the education spectrum.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:23 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,324 times
I think you would like Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Few places in Florida are blue, but Broward County is one of them, for the most part.

Bear in mind that most college towns tend to be progressive, if that helps any. I hear Savannah is pretty progressive these days, perhaps from the design college there.

Cali seems to have your name written all over it, but not sure what you can buy there for 250K. You can buy a decent house in South Florida for that.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:32 AM

There are a few of us pilgrims looking for a safe sane place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina