Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:45 AM

2,533 posts, read 1,483,276 times

Advertisements

We know of the famous passage in Numbers 25 where some of the people of Israel joined themselves to Baal-Peor. They were enticed by the women of Moab to join in their sacrifices and festivals. In it they bowed down to their gods, and thus received them into their person. These passages of course are for our benefit. We can learn from their error.

So for us, can we commit spiritual prostitution? What are some ways for that to happen? Perhaps one way is through taking part into activities such as Yoga. Yoga is a spiritual practice in becoming yoked with the gods of India. So for someone who does it, they are identifying with those gods, bowing down to them just like the people of Israel bowed down to Baal-Peor.

Another way we might commit spiritual prostitution is by what we willingly listen to and watch. (Certain songs or shows) John 6:63 states.........

The Spirit gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life............

This is Jesus speaking to His disciples. The words He spoke to them, Jesus said are spirit. These words come straight from what He hears the Father says and does. As we know, Jesus was constantly in prayer and communication with the Father. Prayers for Jesus was like start-up meetings for us at work. (Obviously it was more than that, but Jesus received His daily tasks straight from what He received from the Father) So the words He spoke were spirit and life. When we receive them, we are made whole and are transformed.

If Jesus' words are spirit, what are the enemies' words? That's a different kind of spirit, a deadly one. If we receive the satan's words, I believe we are prostituting ourselves. So how do we receive the enemies' words? A common way we may easily do it, is by listening to and enjoying songs we know are contrary to God's ways. There may even be songs that outright mock God's ways, but if it has a good beat to it, we bop our heads to it. We move along to the sound and beat. This bopping and dancing, could be like bowing down to the gods of Baal-Peor. We are giving consent. It could be the same with certain shows and movies we watch. If we are a "fan" of horror movies for instance, you are giving an allegiance to ideas that destroy life, which is exactly what the enemy desires. These things we receive into our spirit, they have an impact on how we treat others and especially effect us in our obedience toward Yahweh. If Yahweh tells us to do something for someone, we might hesitate or not do it because we become afraid we might get taken advantage of just like we see in the movies.

So let me know your thoughts. What are some other ways we could possibly be committing spiritual prostitution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 09:34 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,626,979 times
Yoga can be done strictly for the physical benefits derived from the movements and stretches and need not be done for religious reasons.

'Spiritual prostitution' would be anything that you put before God or in place of God or along with God. Listening to certain songs or watching certain shows is not 'spiritual prostitution' though it could lead to brain rot. I doubt that many people actually worship a tv show or a song.

And good grief, dancing is not a sin. As a Christian, just put God first in your priorities and you'll be fine regardless of what songs or tv shows you enjoy watching. The exception is rap crap music. If you listen to that junk you're going to hell. Just kidding.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:57 AM

Of course Yoga doesn't have a patent on stretching. I would say if one wants to stretch, stretch. The specific poses and stretches in Yoga, are about honoring the various gods of Hinduism. When I think about the scene in Numbers, the people were invited to the festivals of Moab and Midian. Perhaps Yoga is an invitation as well. We say its just stretches, but to the spiritual world it is a sign of declaration. In a spiritual sense, it is like a gateway drug before you get hooked on the deeper stuff.

The same with music and dancing. Nothing wrong with them. However, what ideas are we feasting on? Jesus said man shall not live on bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. If we can feed and live on God's words, are there also words that kill? Are there words that destroy? Are there words that foster an attitude that is not productive for God's use?

For instance I think about the song and show "Rawhide". Anybody who had parents who grew up on the westerns know what I'm talking about. To this day my parents watch this show. The song itself is about driving cattle. There's a lyric that says, "Don't try to understand them (the cattle), just rope, and throw, and brand them. Soon we'll be living high and wide!" Now for me, even treating cattle like this can seem harsh. All with the means of making money and living selfishly. However ultimately, with this being adapted as the theme for the show "Rawhide", the show itself is hardly about driving cattle. This is a western! This show is about conflict between people, and shooting folks. So this song, is about how to treat other people! Don't try to understand them, as the song says. Just rope, throw, and brand 'em. Treat people like cattle and worry about yourself. This message produces an attitude contrary to how God wants us to treat each other.

These are the kinds of things we are putting in our spirit, which the enemy can use later if it takes root in our heart.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:14 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,626,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Of course Yoga doesn't have a patent on stretching.
I never implied that it did.

Quote:
I would say if one wants to stretch, stretch. The specific poses and stretches in Yoga, are about honoring the various gods of Hinduism.
Only if that is your reason for doing them.

Quote:
When I think about the scene in Numbers, the people were invited to the festivals of Moab and Midian. Perhaps Yoga is an invitation as well. We say its just stretches, but to the spiritual world it is a sign of declaration. In a spiritual sense, it is like a gateway drug before you get hooked on the deeper stuff.
Again, only if your reason for doing yoga is for religious reasons. Yoga done for exercise or relaxation is perfectly fine.
Quote:
The same with music and dancing. Nothing wrong with them. However, what ideas are we feasting on? Jesus said man shall not live on bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. If we can feed and live on God's words, are there also words that kill? Are there words that destroy? Are there words that foster an attitude that is not productive for God's use?
Certainly words can be harmful both to yourself and to others. Gossip, maligning, judging, words spoken in anger can hurt other people and their reputation and harm your relationships with others. So don't engage in those things.

Quote:
For instance I think about the song and show "Rawhide". Anybody who had parents who grew up on the westerns know what I'm talking about. To this day my parents watch this show. The song itself is about driving cattle. There's a lyric that says, "Don't try to understand them (the cattle), just rope, and throw, and brand them. Soon we'll be living high and wide!" Now for me, even treating cattle like this can seem harsh. All with the means of making money and living selfishly. However ultimately, with this being adapted as the theme for the show "Rawhide", the show itself is hardly about driving cattle. This is a western! This show is about conflict between people, and shooting folks. So this song, is about how to treat other people! Don't try to understand them, as the song says. Just rope, throw, and brand 'em. Treat people like cattle and worry about yourself. This message produces an attitude contrary to how God wants us to treat each other.
You're over thinking it. It's just the theme song about a Western. It's not about treating people like cattle.
Quote:
These are the kinds of things we are putting in our spirit, which the enemy can use later if it takes root in our heart.
Certainly the concept of 'garbage in, garbage out' is valid. So you should be discerning about what you take in. But to put the theme song to Rawhide in the category of 'garbage in' is silly.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:27 PM

7,331 posts, read 6,960,726 times
God demands a choice, His way or the way of the world.
Taking one's guidance of men and not of God.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in his place.
With out the Holy Spirit one is an academic superficial christian.
On judgment day Jesus will look for those that obeyed Him, His Lordship intact.
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Calling Jesus Lord does not make it so. Obeying him makes it so.

Old 05-12-2024, 01:03 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,781,394 times
Looks like you have started yet another thread based on poorly thought premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
We know of the famous passage in Numbers 25 where some of the people of Israel joined themselves to Baal-Peor. They were enticed by the women of Moab to join in their sacrifices and festivals. In it they bowed down to their gods, and thus received them into their person. These passages of course are for our benefit. We can learn from their error.

So for us, can we commit spiritual prostitution? What are some ways for that to happen? Perhaps one way is through taking part into activities such as Yoga. Yoga is a spiritual practice in becoming yoked with the gods of India. So for someone who does it, they are identifying with those gods, bowing down to them just like the people of Israel bowed down to Baal-Peor.
I'm willing to bet that most people doing Yoga are doing so with no thought whatsoever to the gods of India (even those Indians who practice Christianity). They are doing it for the mental improvement and flexibility and exercise.

Quote:
Another way we might commit spiritual prostitution is by what we willingly listen to and watch. (Certain songs or shows) John 6:63 states.........
I suppose there are a few songs and shows that may not be spiritually uplifting, and a few of those that may be negative influences, but [for the most part] the songs you choose to listen to and the shows you choose to watch are simply manifestations of your personal preferences. Nothing more. Nothing less. Very, very few people see deep meaning in songs to the degree that Charles Manson did with "Helter Skelter."

Quote:
The Spirit gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life............

This is Jesus speaking to His disciples. The words He spoke to them, Jesus said are spirit. These words come straight from what He hears the Father says and does. As we know, Jesus was constantly in prayer and communication with the Father. Prayers for Jesus was like start-up meetings for us at work. (Obviously it was more than that, but Jesus received His daily tasks straight from what He received from the Father) So the words He spoke were spirit and life. When we receive them, we are made whole and are transformed.
You just said that this is what Jesus said to his disciples. Have you got some demonstrable reason to think that what Jesus said to his disciples was intended to be heard as directions for everyone today?

Quote:
If Jesus' words are spirit, what are the enemies' words? That's a different kind of spirit, a deadly one. If we receive the satan's words, I believe we are prostituting ourselves. So how do we receive the enemies' words? A common way we may easily do it, is by listening to and enjoying songs we know are contrary to God's ways. There may even be songs that outright mock God's ways, but if it has a good beat to it, we bop our heads to it. We move along to the sound and beat. This bopping and dancing, could be like bowing down to the gods of Baal-Peor.
You had two huge "If" statements there. Then you continued as iff the "If" statements were established facts.

That's really a bizarre way to look a listening to music and dancing. If you think dancing is bowing down to Baal, then you probably shouldn't dance, but that's no reason for you to try to convince the rest of us that dancing is bad. I know several people that will readily tell you that dancing is the way they experience joy. That's really horrible that you would disparage someone for doing so.

Quote:
We are giving consent. It could be the same with certain shows and movies we watch. If we are a "fan" of horror movies for instance, you are giving an allegiance to ideas that destroy life, which is exactly what the enemy desires. These things we receive into our spirit, they have an impact on how we treat others and especially effect us in our obedience toward Yahweh. If Yahweh tells us to do something for someone, we might hesitate or not do it because we become afraid we might get taken advantage of just like we see in the movies.
Good grief! Some people like musicals. Some people like Sci-Fi. Some people like horror movies. No big deal. It means absolutely nothing beyond the act that people like different things.

Quote:
So let me know your thoughts. What are some other ways we could possibly be committing spiritual prostitution?
Spiritual prostitution? What a ridiculous concept!

Old 05-12-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I never implied that it did.

Only if that is your reason for doing them.

Again, only if your reason for doing yoga is for religious reasons. Yoga done for exercise or relaxation is perfectly fine.

Not that I'm trying to bind people up with legalism. Yet knowing the origins of a practice should make a believer hesitate. Perhaps the same things could be said about holidays such as Halloween and even Christmas to a degree (the date we celebrate it and the possible reasons why).

With that said, we can perhaps justify anything as being okay or not. Yet how does this look from a spiritual perspective? I believe Yoga uses a lot of breathing techniques and mantras. Emptying your head and being totally relaxed. Does God want us with an empty head? Or does He want us with a head full of His thoughts and ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Certainly words can be harmful both to yourself and to others. Gossip, maligning, judging, words spoken in anger can hurt other people and their reputation and harm your relationships with others. So don't engage in those things.

You're over thinking it. It's just the theme song about a Western. It's not about treating people like cattle.

Certainly the concept of 'garbage in, garbage out' is valid. So you should be discerning about what you take in. But to put the theme song to Rawhide in the category of 'garbage in' is silly.

When harmful words and thoughts are mixed in with good sounding music or a very entertaining movie, it goes into our soul unrestrained. When life presses down on us with enough pressure, whatever we have on the inside of us will come gushing out. The song is about driving cattle, and paired with the tv show that features all sorts of conflict between people and people groups, the underlying message is treat people like cattle.

I don't think I'm over thinking this one. Most westerns are certainly about conflict, shooting, etc. Many of these shows feature Native Americans in a negative light. I think about my physical ancestors, the slaves of America and how they were treated. The lyrics 'Don't try to understand them, hook, and throw, and brand 'em' certainly fit how the slave owners viewed the slaves. So if we spend a good bit of our times listening and watching things like this, at some point the feeling will come out in a real life situation. We certainly aren't going to behave like Jesus if someone wrongs us. Nope. RAWHIDE is coming out!!! (HAH!!! *crack of the whip sound*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God demands a choice, His way or the way of the world.
Taking one's guidance of men and not of God.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in his place.
With out the Holy Spirit one is an academic superficial christian.
On judgment day Jesus will look for those that obeyed Him, His Lordship intact.
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Calling Jesus Lord does not make it so. Obeying him makes it so.

I hear ya! And again I don't want to come across with legalism. As long as we are in Jesus, we will bear fruit. Depending on how deep our relationship is with Him, we will bear either 100 fold production, 60 fold, or 30 fold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

I'm willing to bet that most people doing Yoga are doing so with no thought whatsoever to the gods of India (even those Indians who practice Christianity). They are doing it for the mental improvement and flexibility and exercise.

I wouldn't doubt that. Especially since it is promoted for those things. However for a believer who finds out the origins concerning Yoga, there should at least be some trepidation that enters concerning it. Again if one wants to stretch, let them stretch. If one wants to exercise, let them exercise. Why adapt all the practice of something that comes out of worship for another god just for the sake of exercise? And does God want us to meditate like the world meditates? (Emptying our head, breathing control, etc.) Even if we were to take Yoga's way of worshipping their gods, and flip it to worship our God, that would possibly be wrong as well. (As God told Israel not to worship Him the same way the people around them worship their gods)

Quote:
I suppose there are a few songs and shows that may not be spiritually uplifting, and a few of those that may be negative influences, but [for the most part] the songs you choose to listen to and the shows you choose to watch are simply manifestations of your personal preferences. Nothing more. Nothing less. Very, very few people see deep meaning in songs to the degree that Charles Manson did with "Helter Skelter."

Of course our own preferences, ones that come from our physical instinct, can be deceptive. This goes back to spiritual application. Everything a believer does, should be done from the desires God gives us. This comes from the new nature in Jesus. If our mind is not on who we are in Jesus, then its on pleasing the old nature of this body.

Ultimately what I'm saying is even things the world might not see as problematic, is problematic in God's eyes. We have freedom in Christ, but we shouldn't use that freedom to indulge in ungodly pleasures and desires.

Quote:
You just said that this is what Jesus said to his disciples. Have you got some demonstrable reason to think that what Jesus said to his disciples was intended to be heard as directions for everyone today?

All believers are disciples of Jesus.

Quote:
You had two huge "If" statements there. Then you continued as iff the "If" statements were established facts.

That's really a bizarre way to look a listening to music and dancing. If you think dancing is bowing down to Baal, then you probably shouldn't dance, but that's no reason for you to try to convince the rest of us that dancing is bad. I know several people that will readily tell you that dancing is the way they experience joy. That's really horrible that you would disparage someone for doing so.

Dancing is not a bad thing at all. Its what we are dancing to. If I'm dancing to a song that glorifies things God would find detestable, I'm not in agreement with Him. If I'm enjoying watching movies with murder and cheating, the same thing. In many movies that highlight such things, very rarely are the characters met with bad consequences to their evil action. Not in an ultimate sense. Many times they are rewarded for such actions and made to look cool. If this is what I indulge in, how can I say I'm in agreement with God's Spirit? That's not what's going to come out when things get real in life.

Quote:
Good grief! Some people like musicals. Some people like Sci-Fi. Some people like horror movies. No big deal. It means absolutely nothing beyond the act that people like different things.

And again, if my "likes" come from my old nature, it is a big deal. That said, there's nothing wrong with imagination. God created the universe from His own creativity. If we want to watch a Sci-Fi flick, cool. A musical, sure. I would encourage whatever we watch, make sure to discern the themes. Yet as for horror, I don't know of any that produces God's kind of thoughts. I suppose it would come down to how one defines a horror flick.

Old 05-12-2024, 07:39 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Default How Can a Christian Commit Spiritual Prostitution?

I am trying to understand where you are coming from with this notion of spiritual prostitution. In one way, I see it as a concern for what states of mind we allow ourselves to be in (because our state of mind entirely defines the character of everything we do). In that case, it is consistent with the instruction to be "in Christ" (in the "mind of Christ") as often as possible. When we are in the "mind of Christ" our state of mind is in one of those associated with God's Holy Spirit and we cannot do anything wrong in God's eyes.

Philippians 2:5-30 King James Version
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.

It is other states of mind from the above that make us vulnerable to "sin." In that sense, I can see your concern. But being vulnerable to "sin" is not the same as committing it. As you present it, it seems too legalistic and command-driven, IMO. It reminds me of the movie "Footloose." In any case, it IS our state of mind that makes what we do "sinful" or not. As Paul said (paraphrasing), nothing is of itself unclean, but to someone who thinks it is unclean, it IS unclean.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:01 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,976,310 times
by doing idolatry and doing pagan sexual rituals and ritual and cultic and shrine prostitution

Old 05-12-2024, 08:36 PM

572 posts, read 683,245 times
When I was a young neophyte on the path, I was a full-time student at a Methodist Theological Seminary, but on Sunday's, I would rotate a Catholic mass with a meditation and lecture at a Hindu ashram. Also, there was a nice little Buddhist monastery only a few blocks away from my home that I also liked to go to, plus, my friend was a ' pagan white witch". A monk did not call what I was doing prostituting myself in my fervent search for God, but he was rather concerned that I would come down with what he called , " A bad case of Spiritual Indigestion" lol.

Last edited by glenninindy; 05-12-2024 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity