Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 04:06 PM

10,116 posts, read 5,035,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Jesus sends the holy spirit in his name, and I would say that the holy spirit are actual souls of people who became priests and now their congregation are to other souls they visit.
I believe there is a spiritual war taking place with an army of God verses an army of unclean spirits that were also people who actually lived but now have become unclean spirits, and that the ranks have to be replenished on both sides.
In the Bible I find God's holy spirit is Not a person but a neuter "IT" - Numbers 11:17-25
God sends forth His spirit..... - Psalm 104:30
Adam became a living soul (Gen. 2:7) and at death Adam became a dead soul, a life-less soul - Ezekiel 18:4,20
Just as God's spirit (it) is neuter so is our spirit (it) according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 B
Unclean spirits are the fallen disobedient angels and Not people

War in the spirit-angelic realm ended - Revelation 12:12,9
Armageddon (war to end all wars - Psalm 46:9) is still ahead of us
Jesus' words along with angelic armies will do away with the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 05:01 AM

9,942 posts, read 1,317,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I like these types of questions
A lot of us are expressing in our own way that we see/understand that there is both a difference in soul and spirit and there is also a connection between soul and spirit and soul/spirit are both of the internal and non-physical realm/dimension

Our brain on the other hand is physical - and I believe there is an energetic connection between the brain and soul

That is why there are 2 different words used in the Hebrew, and also the Greek and English (and probably the Latin too)

At one level it’s relevant (the theological and philosophical) and at another level it isn’t relevant I think (the natural)

We also are not all interested (or educated) in the same type of areas, we also all have different types of abilities
All true! Like you, I find the topic to be very interesting.

Body, soul and spirit are connected. They influence one another. There is a connection between our physical, emotional, and spiritual health.

“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones” (Proverbs 17:22, NIV).

This verse tells us that the conditions of our souls and spirits affect our physical health.

The spirit is what I’m most interested in. Keeping it nourished is of upmost importance. We can achieve spiritual health through study of God’s word and constant prayer. It is our spirit that allows us to communicate with Him. It is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Last edited by MissKate12; 05-16-2024 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-16-2024, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
In the Bible I find God's holy spirit is Not a person but a neuter "IT" - Numbers 11:17-25
God sends forth His spirit..... - Psalm 104:30
Adam became a living soul (Gen. 2:7) and at death Adam became a dead soul, a life-less soul - Ezekiel 18:4,20
Just as God's spirit (it) is neuter so is our spirit (it) according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 B
Unclean spirits are the fallen disobedient angels and Not people

War in the spirit-angelic realm ended - Revelation 12:12,9
Armageddon (war to end all wars - Psalm 46:9) is still ahead of us
Jesus' words along with angelic armies will do away with the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15
Sorry Matthew, but what you say is not Biblical. The Holy Spirit is not an IT. The Scriptures never refer to Him as such.

Genesis 1:2
Spirit is feminine gender.

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance
ruach: breath, wind, spirit
Original Word: רוּחַ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: ruach
Phonetic Spelling: (roo'-akh)
Definition: breath, wind, spirit

Numbers 11:17
Spirit is feminine gender

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

Psalm 104:30

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

Have a great day,

Kate

Last edited by MissKate12; 05-16-2024 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-16-2024, 01:00 PM

11,977 posts, read 3,801,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
All true! Like you, I find the topic to be very interesting.

Body, soul and spirit are connected. They influence one another. There is a connection between our physical, emotional, and spiritual health.

“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones” (Proverbs 17:22, NIV).

This verse tells us that the conditions of our souls and spirits affect our physical health.

The spirit is what I’m most interested in. Keeping it nourished is of upmost importance. We can achieve spiritual health through study of God’s word and constant prayer. It is our spirit that allows us to communicate with Him. It is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.
Also we need to realise that we communicate with each other spirit/soul to spirit/soul via the medium of our clumsy words (written and spoken)

Written and spoken language are the way it is communicated to each other which is what Paul is meaning here

1Co 13:1**Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:11**When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12**For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

The written isn’t face to face either - that is where I ‘see’ the differences in timing and regionality coming into it as well, and also the symbolism

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-16-2024 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry Matthew, but what you say is not Biblical. The Holy Spirit is not an IT. The Scriptures never refer to Him as such.

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

Have a great day,

Kate
I think you 2 are speaking of 2 different things

It is not as concrete as spirit having/not having gender I think, our consciousness and intellect and emotions aren’t male/female - our gender is determined by the connection to the external physical body

This is why it says in Galatians that ‘in Christ’ there is neither male/female and Jesus says in the resurrection, people do not marry as they are as/like the angels/messenger’s, sex/marriage is a function of the carnal and earthly and reproduction

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-16-2024 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 02:41 PM

64,116 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:

It is not as concrete as spirit having/not having gender I think, our consciousness and intellect and emotions aren’t male/female - our gender is determined by the connection to the external physical body

This is why it says in Galatians that ‘in Christ’ there is neither male/female and Jesus says in the resurrection, people do not marry as they are as/like the angels/messengers, sex/marriage is a function of the carnal and earthly and reproduction
This will disappoint a lot of people, Meerkat, especially the "eternally married" LDS.

Old 05-16-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This will disappoint a lot of people, Meerkat, especially the "eternally married" LDS.
Maybe?

I try to see/understand things from a higher unaffiliated position or perspective while still understanding we are all limited by our own affiliations and the religious types - none of us are free from it

Human ‘beings’ are human - part of the greater humanity

The LDS organisation is earthly and carnal and I believe they generally know they are created for a higher purpose than just themselves

That eternal marriage of their priests is about the work they have needed to do in this temporal, earthly, religious environment/landscape but it gets ‘clothed’ by their own ‘myths/legends’

The same as the Jews clothed their own prophetic knowledge and visions in myths/legends, the same as the Greek writers/scribes did, the same as the Roman writers/scribes

Buddhist/eastern types did the same thing, Muslims as well

They all have figure ‘heads’ the idols/gods, who are men/human and generally male

The heart itself was in the right place and their own ‘children’ ‘offspring’ have been the source of a lot of knowledge that we are now using regarding the religious distribution of human beings into unexplored areas via the missionary efforts

Eph 2:10**For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

What I notice here is that is God referred to - not the Father, the same as Genesis 1 refers to God (Elohim) creating by the spoken on various Days

And Genesis 2 is about the Lord God (male)

The LDS, COC and JW’s all go back to America in the 1800’s where they were having their own regional religious and spiritual ‘revivals’

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-16-2024 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:

This is why it says in Galatians that ‘in Christ’ there is neither male/female and Jesus says in the resurrection, people do not marry as they are as/like the angels/messenger’s, sex/marriage is a function of the carnal and earthly and reproduction
Matthew was speaking of the Holy Spirit not our spirits.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Matthew was speaking of the Holy Spirit not our spirits.
This has to do the his own affiliation to the JW organisation which is not wrong it just limits what information he is able to process, he is ‘kingdom’ focused

how I understand that the Holy Spirit is part of the trinity of which the father and son are both male - the spirit is attached to soul to the human body

So spirit doesn’t have gender but does have personality, our literal physical bodies do have biological gender

And that’s getting into a different (but related) topic

Old 05-16-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

◄ 7307. ruach ►
Strong's Concordance

Have a great day,

Kate
I have noticed before and think it’s significant that it’s not ruach/spirit breathed into Adam in Gen 2

Gen 2:7**And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

H5397 (Strong)
נְשָׁמָה
neshâmâh
nesh-aw-maw'
From H5395; a puff, that is, wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect or (concretely) an animal: - blast, (that) breath (-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-16-2024 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity