Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 06:57 PM

54 posts, read 79,843 times

Advertisements

Isn't all things "South" bad in Chicago? I've heard nothing but deadly things about the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 07:53 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
Isn't all things "South" bad in Chicago? I've heard nothing but deadly things about the south side.
The South Loop and Near South Side is one of the most affluent parts of the city. There are also other pockets of relative affluence and safety throughout the south side including Hyde Park, Kenwood, Beverly, and others. It is not all bombed out and desperate.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:37 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
There are pockets of good areas. South Loop is really just the area bordering the Loop to the south. Hardly the "south side". I have a few minutes - let me give you a quick guide

River North = where tons of restaurants and nightlife is, but very touristy, loud, and IMO getting worse and more like a place I'd rather avoid, unless I'm going to a restaurant.

Old Town = just north of RN - more residential, can be young and frat house like in some spots, and a couple blocks south of the Sedgwick train stop there is project housing that provides an unpleasant pocket. North of North Avenue is beautiful and expensive.

Lincoln Park = the bougie 'hood, north of OT. It expands far west of the lake as well, less bougie there, but mostly can't go wrong in this one, depending on what you want. Very white.

Wicker Park/Bucktown = young, edgy, yet upscale.

West Town (this contains Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, Noble Square) - very mixed, pretty diverse, good restaurants, mid-level safety. Good history here (I live in this area now).

Pilsen = this is "south" but hip and up and coming. Young. Rugged in spots. Very artsy.

Lakeview = huge neighborhood, generally nice, contains Wrigleyville (avoid - young and nuts), Roscoe Village (quieter, nice), Boystown (hip, gay, nice), amongst other areas. It's hard to define, but generally a positive overall 'hood. Very white.

Uptown = extremely diverse (like, every color), near the Lake, far north, rough in spots, not my cup of tea but I know some people who live there and love it. Concert/blues venues there. Old architecture - but the area could use a facelift for sure.

North Center = very nice, safe, decent amount of families

Lincoln Square = same as NC, but with a charming "town center" which brings a lot of community. Not sure it's great for meeting single women, but a very nice place (I lived here for 4 years). Very white.

Ravenswood = just east of Lincoln Square and full of warehouse type properties, breweries, etc. Quieter area. Very white.

Andersonville = beautiful, far north, very gay friendly, tons of shops and eateries. Very white.

Rodgers Park = don't know a lot about it, but it's diverse, similar to Uptown where it's got some danger spots but some people absolutely love living there.

Bridgeport = a nice south side area - near White Sox Park

Hyde Park = considered THE black neighborhood of Chicago for people with means. It's adjacent to some rough areas but a nice pocket. Museums, close to the Lake.

Bronzeville = high black population, up and coming but behind Pilsen, great architecture, good location, but lacking restaurants at this point. This is a place to watch for the future, but it's not quite there yet.

Avoid these neighborhoods:

Austin, anything with Lawn in it, Humboldt Park (hate to say it, it shows potential and my wife was born there, but too much crime, really), anything with Garfield in it, Roseland, Pullman, Englewood, Auburn-Gresham, Little Village, Chatham, Greater Grand Crossing.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Kmanshouse, oh how I enjoy your write-up!

But HOLD ON! HOLD ON! HOLD ON!

Little Village has such great restaurants and shopping, so please, at least, give it THAT!

Old 01-03-2024, 09:26 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
That's exactly the info I'm looking for Kmanhouse. Thanks.
1) Highly suggest rent, glad you are going that direction.

2) Lots of great apartments with amenities near-loop, puts you close to everything.

3) I'd look around using apartment rental guides where you can input rent amount and other things to figure out a good fit for you. One suggestion just to give an example would be NEMA.

Not sure how they feel about ad links here so won't provide one but it's an easy google for those things.

All the best.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:35 AM

54 posts, read 79,843 times
Thanks all. Think I'll focus on Hyde Park and Bronzeville when I first arrive. Sounds like nice places to live while getting acclimated to Chicago.

Quick search showed multiple properties under $2200/month with a gym and parking. I'm happy with only a studio.

If anyone knows of a complex with a commercial gym on the ground floor or a very nice community gym, drop a note here please. I'll keep searching Apartments.Com.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:16 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Thanks all. Think I'll focus on Hyde Park and Bronzeville when I first arrive. Sounds like nice places to live while getting acclimated to Chicago.

Quick search showed multiple properties under $2200/month with a gym and parking. I'm happy with only a studio.

If anyone knows of a complex with a commercial gym on the ground floor or a very nice community gym, drop a note here please. I'll keep searching Apartments.Com.
They just completed '43 Green' in Bronzeville and a neighboring high-rise is under construction. It has a fitness center and is right next to an 'EL' station as well as being really close to the expressway. The area has a lot of new infill and renovations going on. It's close to Hyde Park, Oakwood Beach and Burnham Park.

Bronzeville is on the rise and is transitioning into a diverse version of a southside Lincoln Park.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
That was a great and accurate neighborhood assessment by Kmanshouse.

Old 01-03-2024, 05:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
BigLake, don't let him get away with it; he neglected mentioning the great, authentic Little Village food that definitely needs a shout out!

That little stinker, him!

Old 01-04-2024, 05:17 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times
I happened upon this thread and moved away from Chicago 6 years ago so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt but I'm a 44 y/o SBF and loved South loop and would highly recommend it.

Used to live at 1130 S Michigan (twice) and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago