Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 07:25 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, nice article!!! Thank you for sharing...

P.S. I took the kids to Ignotz for Father's Day (in that scary southside neighborhood), and since Festa Pasta Vino was cancelled again, we all made our own fest; and we had a great time.

It was beautiful. And me being the outgoing guy I am, struck up a conversation with 2 different fellows there and we all got together for a drink and a toast to Fatherhood... and not that it matters to ME about always throwing skin color in a story, but one man was Black and the other was Mexican; and NO ONE cared about the color of skin. It was just 3 PEOPLE celebrating life. The way it SHOULD be!!!
Thanks Master Jay. And I apologize to everybody because I didn't mean to post it in this thread. I meant to post it in the Garfield Park thread, where those heros risked social snubbery to actually live in Garfield Park.

More, heck I'd take some, need to put their lofty and sometimes destructive cries against "systemic racism " into action and actually move to the 'hoods where it's happening. The actual reasons for systemic racism are much different than most people think. Hint - it has a lot to do with market choices people - often well meaning and virtue signaling people - make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 07:56 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
BRU67, good morning.

Please don't apologize. That was a great article. I enjoyed reading it after work, while I sat down to some nice street tacos and a glass of wine.

And perhaps it was an inspirational red for others, as well.

Have a great Friday!

Old 06-25-2021, 09:37 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
BRU67, good morning.

Please don't apologize. That was a great article. I enjoyed reading it after work, while I sat down to some nice street tacos and a glass of wine.

And perhaps it was an inspirational red for others, as well.

Have a great Friday!
You too Master Jay! This also should be required viewing for all North Side Chicagoans...

https://www.tonijphotography.com/projects/6836945

https://www.foldedmapproject.com/interactive-maps

Very moving, at least it was for me. And starkly illustrates the problem. We can deflect the blame for this at all of the strawmen we want but until the real issues are addressed, segregation, and unequal opportunity, will continue.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:48 AM

BRU67, thank you for putting it out there for North Side Chicagoans (and "honorary" North Side Chicagoans, like myself!) aaaaaaand speaking of fests.....

I see there are a couple of fests this weekend in the Chicagoland area.

I MAY try a new one for me: Strawberry Fest in Long Grove, which is still on the Lake County side.

Anyone have any experiences at this one?

Old 06-25-2021, 06:43 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
This year, Pride in the Park returns Saturday, June 26 and Sunday, June 27. The Chicago Pride Parade will be delayed until Sunday, October 3rd and Chicago Pride Fest remains postponed with a possible return in September or October.

https://chicagopride.gopride.com/info.cfm

Old 06-25-2021, 06:52 PM

NoMansLands, thank you for the update.

I understand it may be very rainy tomorrow, Milwaukee and Chicago! So maybe tomorrow will have to be an indoor to-do.

A safe and healthy and happy weekend to you all, my city-data.com colleagues!

Old 06-25-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
NoMansLands, thank you for the update.

I understand it may be very rainy tomorrow, Milwaukee and Chicago! So maybe tomorrow will have to be an indoor to-do.

A safe and healthy and happy weekend to you all, my city-data.com colleagues!
You're welcome! Enjoy whatever you do in Chicago this weekend, it's not difficult to find exciting things to do!

Pride parade is so much fun in the summer, it will be different in the fall but early enough hopefully to be warm.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:15 PM

NoMansLands, I've been to many of the Pride Parades. I do believe in supporting equality.

The parade party is always high energy. I do get hit on a lot. But that goes without saying; since I'm so handsome.

I'm just hoping we do see more normalcy as the months go on. We do NOT want a repeat of 2020.

I'll have to check back with the Chicagoland weather forecast tomorrow. If it's rainy, it may make for a good try-a-new-restaurant day!

Have an awesome weekend, everyone. I hope the weather works in your favor.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:52 PM

Hello Handsome Jay,
I am not part of the LGBTQ community either, but their enthusiasm during their Pride Parade can't be matched! It's contagious!
I also enjoy the music festivals in Grant Park...here's the schedule
https://www.grantparkmusicfestival.c...ic/2021-season

And who doesn't love the Taste of Chicago?
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...f_chicago.html

Old 06-25-2021, 08:15 PM

NoMansLands. I was lucky. One great thing my parents did was always encourage me to talk to people and to never be afraid of people different from me. I remember my dad taking me and my cousins to Maxwell Street when it was the real, gritty Maxwell..... And my mom took me to all kinds of fests, including gay bars!

So I never felt uncomfortable around any group. And perhaps that readied me to one day be a Social Worker. And to have ease in all sides of the city. In Chicago I never feel uncomfortable.

It helps, also, that I became a Tae Kwon Do Instructor. It taught me confidence and ease with people. .... a handsome Tae Kwon Do Instructor, at that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago