Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,216 times

Advertisements

Silly question, but I’ve noticed a severe lack of streetlights in the Glen Ellyn/Wheaton/Lombard/Oak Brook/ etc area. Is there a place around here that has well lit roads? Do most suburbs have a lack of street lights? I just moved here, so I don’t know the area that well, but I’m used to having well lit roads and would prefer having that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 01:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,586,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendill View Post
Silly question, but I’ve noticed a severe lack of streetlights in the Glen Ellyn/Wheaton/Lombard/Oak Brook/ etc area. Is there a place around here that has well lit roads? Do most suburbs have a lack of street lights? I just moved here, so I don’t know the area that well, but I’m used to having well lit roads and would prefer having that.
Even communities that were known for "well-lit streets" when first developed in earnest at the turn of the century—Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Lake Forest, and Oak Park immediately come to mind—are today known for an abundance of old street lanterns that give off poor light. I say this because I am not sure that the number of lanterns really makes a huge difference in how well-lit the streets are.

As an issue, I am an opponent of light pollution, so I am resistant to unnecessary exterior illumination. Chicago has a surprisingly large population of birders, bird-watchers, stargazers, and other proponents of dark skies. While I do not know if they have an actual impact, I know that their voices are heard anytime public lighting projects have been discussed in any community that I have been witness to. My recommendation would be to get used to the way things are!

Old 03-17-2024, 04:25 PM

56 posts, read 30,588 times
Meh. Ask someone that lives in a well lit area, when was the last time they've seen stars in the sky? Sorry, the amateur astronomer in me says no more lights.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 6,874,037 times
Within 1 year of me buying my house the city replaced my older "yellow" halogen street light with a super bright "white" LED street light. I despise it.

Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Lombard are all pretty rural in infrastructure terms. As you get closer to the city, everything is better lit. My suburb of Park Ridge for example has street lights galore. If you're looking for well lit areas then I recommend getting closer to the city.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,091,156 times
Downtown Homewood is always very well-lit 24/7.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:30 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,089,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Within 1 year of me buying my house the city replaced my older "yellow" halogen street light with a super bright "white" LED street light. I despise it.

In the name of safety we lived without for decades, they ruined the ambiance with warehouse lighting.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:15 AM

3,950 posts, read 6,874,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
In the name of safety we lived without for decades, they ruined the ambiance with warehouse lighting.
My house is on the end of a T street where one major street ends on my street with my house at the corner. I guess you can see more clearly which is good for traffic reasons, and hopefully the new light is more energy efficient but I can't confirm if that's true. Either way, I still don't have to like it!

Old 03-20-2024, 10:12 PM

119 posts, read 91,642 times
Aurora, Naperville, Elgin, Joliet & Waukegan all seem pretty well lit compared to some of the surrounding suburbs. But i guess they're kinda more cities in themselves that are tucked away in the suburbs.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,216 times
Thanks for all the input. I’ll take a look at closer to the city/within the city.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM

119 posts, read 91,642 times
Here's a nice pic of the city lights from above.
Attached Thumbnails
Are there any suburbs with streetlights/well lit roads.-chicagoland-milwakee-lights.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs