Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 12:19 AM

120 posts, read 169,692 times

Advertisements

Has anybody heard about Dolton’s mayor, Tiffany Henyard? Her spending trips to Vegas, her 2 million dollar giveaway, her lavish security detail, her cancer “nonprofit” that is yet to file for 501c3 status, her spending of taxpayer money on personal billboards?
She was supposed to have been recalled in Dolton, but she managed to get that overturned on a technicality.
She calls herself “Super Mayor” and seems to have a massive social media presence. But how is Cook County, and the Illinois DA, letting this stand?
WGN is doing a good job raising awareness about the situation, but in a city with a 20% poverty rate and DIRE matters, is there something we should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 20,991 times
Do you live there? Vote her out.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:57 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
I am old enough to remember when Dolton was a nice middle-class suburb. Today it is a rotten cesspool.

Old 02-03-2024, 12:23 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Ms. Henyard, in her capacity as Thornton Township supervisor, forced a measure through the Thornton Township board that would reduce the salary of her potential successor in the event that she loses her bid for re-election next year.

Henyard's salary is $224,000 per year as township supervisor. She drafted legislation that would cut her successors' salary to just $25,000. If Henyard stays in office, her salary remains the same.

The editorial board of the 'Sun-Times' denounced that move as "about as politically rotten and self-serving as it gets - a bid by elected officials to use tax dollars and the law to chase away political rivals."

Last edited by Nearwest; 02-03-2024 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-03-2024, 05:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
It's really sad. So many near-south suburbs suffer from generations of neglect and disinvestment. What little money they have goes to the corrupt individuals they keep electing. Thornton, Harvey, Riverdale, Dixmoor. I don't know what anyone outside of these towns can do.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:19 PM

120 posts, read 169,692 times
The one thing that strikes me about Henyard is how brazen and bold she is with her spending.
She recently took a trip to the White House, possibly on taxpayers’ dime, and broadcast it to the whole world. Her salaries are extremely public. She’s spent millions on ad and on self-promotion campaigns.
The South Suburbs have had no shortage of corrupt mayors, but usually, corrupt mayors were discreet about their actions. Henyard, on the other hand, loves the camera, and it doesn’t seem like bad press is a thing to her. The Cook County DA’s busy caseload also helps her…
It’s a shame, really. Underperforming mayors in big cities are put under a microscope, and rightfully so. Their missteps have consequences for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of constituents. But tiny suburbs like Dolton can have mayors committing major felonies in broad daylight and get away with it because people aren’t paying attention.
If you were to go to any suburb, from Winnetka to Ford Heights, and ask people who their mayor is, I’d bet that in any suburb, 75%+ couldn’t tell you who their mayor is, and an even more alarming percentage couldn’t tell you who’s on the city council. It really is a shame, and in areas like Dolton, which are in dire need of development, the system continues to neglect the poorest of the poor.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:38 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I can't wait to see her featured on a future episode of American Greed.

I am hoping some retiree or good Samaritan can run against her knowing they won't get much of a salary, just to get her out. Surely the townspeople will choose ANYONE over her knowing what she did. What a con artist that woman is.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I have never lived in the area but I've been watching the situation with this Mayor with great interest. It's just so hard to believe how brazen she is about it all!

I feel sorry for the folks who live there and have to figure out what to do and who is telling them the truth.

Can't help but watching the drama.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:43 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
More drama out of Dolton. The Mayor played the race card on her constituents Monday night. Here's a quote along with the full article.

“You all should be ashamed of yourselves because you all are Black. You all are Black! And you all sitting up here beating and attacking a Black woman that’s in power,” she said. “You all should be ashamed of yourselves."

https://wgntv.com/news/wgn-investiga...im-the-leader/

Old 02-15-2024, 08:45 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
The NY Post is now reporting on this. This is hilarious but I feel very bad for the residents of the city. Not even our corrupt politicians would act as brazenly as this doofus of a person. She seems like she has a legitimate mental disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs