Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times

Advertisements

that was supposed to link to a photo album-try this

Photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM

104 posts, read 303,239 times
UVA brings national acclaim and recognition to what would otherwise be another ordinary southern town. JPJ atracts national acts that bypass larger cities, even Richmond, so it's hard for Lynchburg to compete from an entertainment standpoint. I agree that peoples perception of L'burg maybe scewd when traveling through on 29 and bypassing the nicest parts of town (rivermont, boonsboro).

Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
I can't even believe this is a serious question... Has anyone, in the state of Virginia, outside of Lynchburg (apparently), ever considered the two on the same level? I didn't even think people from Lynchburg would buy into that!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I can't even believe this is a serious question... Has anyone, in the state of Virginia, outside of Lynchburg (apparently), ever considered the two on the same level? I didn't even think people from Lynchburg would buy into that!
Maybe in 10-15 years, you'll mature enough to understand. Anyone who read your commentary on Richmond would take your opinions pretty lightly, anyway. There are actually plenty of similarities under the surface... enough that the Charlottesville based Weldon Cooper Center places the two cities in the same economic zone, partially due to similarities in the economic drivers of the communities. Cville does gain more economically by benefiting from significantly higher federal and state government money versus Lynchburg, resulting in some of the discrepancies between earnings, but these discrepancies are balanced out by cost of living. True, shopping opportunities are greater, but the difference in GDP between the regions would be very similar excluding federal and state expenditures.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,527 times
Lynchburg does have one restaurant going for it...Macado's. The one in Charlottesville closed and I loved that place! The "Carpetbagger" was heaven!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passo82 View Post
UVA brings national acclaim and recognition to what would otherwise be another ordinary southern town. JPJ atracts national acts that bypass larger cities, even Richmond, so it's hard for Lynchburg to compete from an entertainment standpoint. I agree that peoples perception of L'burg maybe scewd when traveling through on 29 and bypassing the nicest parts of town (rivermont, boonsboro).
Agreed- Charlottesville has a rather unique situation that isn't easily emulated by other college towns. The arts scene is pretty vibrant and is pretty high profile. I don't think that many national acts pass on Richmond in favor of Cville, but they definitely pass on Lynchburg! Lynchburg does have the misfortune (or is fortunate, depending on your view) of being between Roanoke and Cville, both of which are good venues for arts and entertainment, and the same holds true for air travel. Shopping is different, as well- Cville continues to see growth in their retail, and it has pretty good tourist and day trip traffic to keep sales strong. Lynchburg's retail has been quiet for a few years, though there are signs that things might be changing soon.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
Lynchburg does have one restaurant going for it...Macado's. The one in Charlottesville closed and I loved that place! The "Carpetbagger" was heaven!
Macado's? Seriously? Plenty of restaurants in Lynchburg that are MUCH better!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
Quote:
I came to C'Ville from Seattle to look at a house to buy for retirement back in 2003. Looked around and were not that impressed by either prices or the neighborhoods. Had an extra day before flight home so took a drive to Lynchburg which I had never heard of before and had no opinion of in any way. Just happened to make a right on Rivermont off old 29, found the Peakland Boonsboro area and nearby mountains and rest was history. Found a realtor and came back the next month to buy a house. We figured we could always go to CVille for football and some shopping once a month and save $250k on the house which buys LOTS of trips. Not to mention home values in C tanked worse than in L--would have lost multiple $100K.
Turned out L had nearly all the shopping we needed and more good restaurants every year so when we go back to visit we rarely even bother going up to Cville. Also found FCS college football/basketball/hockey etc is pretty good too for about $8/ticket v $50. Plenty of college plays and other shows at the 4 local colleges at retirement friendly prices or free. I would not change a thing. Also we are neither super conservative nor religious. We just feel LU is entitled to their opinions in a free country and we enjoy the positives they bring to the area including clean economic growth.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM

596 posts, read 937,326 times
traffic is really horrible in Cville too for such a small town. i wouldn't want to live somewhere with that many 18-22 year olds as well. the older you get the more annoying college kids get.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
Quote:
The college kids are probably the least liberal people in Charlottesville, considering many of them are from old money southern heritage types. The entire area is liberal, which may be why it's full of successful people who have the money to drive up the housing prices. Ever think it's odd that the most expensive areas in the states are almost overwhelmingly liberal?

Moving on, Charlottesville blows away Lynchburg in basically every measurable statistic except total population.

I think the two areas could be summed up nicely when considering one hosts Jerry Fallwell's disgusting attempt to legitimize his BS teachings with a "university", and the other has a school founded by Jefferson.

Well . . . You might think Liberty is a less-than-desirable university but others might find this interesting

School of Law hits 100 percent bar passage rate in Virginia | Liberty University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville