Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:52 PM

58 posts, read 50,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
Forget what the guy said about conservative and religious BS. There are 2.7 million in the area. There are all types of people and if you look for the aforementioned you will find them as well as Muslims Buddhist, and plenty of woke people.

Charlotte is typical large cities but is actually mostly nicer than most in regard to standard of living, sports, proximity to natural resources, education, mountains and beaches, etc. and crime (with the normal exceptions). I lived in Boston, and know Hartford fairly well. It is a nice place, but you won't be shortchanging yourself with a move to this area. Opinions are all relative. It does get hot here, but is does in NYC as well and you aren't that far from NYC. Good luck.
Have you ever lived in a democrat governed area???

Your criticism of my comment about the “ conservative and religious BS” says all I need to know, lol!!!!

It sounds like you are not well informed.

Last edited by Monarkman; 05-08-2024 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 04:00 PM

Thank you so much for your response. It helps very much!

I appreciate you!!!

Old 05-12-2024, 10:54 AM

583 posts, read 560,122 times
Bottom line is that deciding whether or not it would be better for you to move out of your comfort zone or not with the move to Charlotte is Impossible for anyone to answer other than yourself. People don't care if a person is colored. They care about character. I am sure that applies in both places. Both cities are fine and have healthy economies. You probably need to focus on factors other than the three you mentioned except maybe weather.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
Have you ever lived in a democrat governed area???

Your criticism of my comment about the “ conservative and religious BS” says all I need to know, lol!!!!

It sounds like you are not well informed.
Have I ever lived in a democrat governed area? Do you realize the mayor of Charlotte and the governor of N.C. are democrats? So, I suppose I qualify for having lived in a "democrat governed" area. I criticize comments that are irrelevant, idiotic, or from some obviously disgruntle newcomer that can't handle being out of his/her own little environment and uses ridiculous stereotypes to help cope. You determine if you're in that category or not.

Old 05-21-2024, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
1. Weather - is it really better in Charlotte or is it just the absence of snow? Extremely since your not in the north anymore .
2. Jobs - how easy/tough it is to find a job in Charlotte, compared against Hartford area? Brownie points for Insurance/Tech job experience IT is a very good market here but i would say its better in RTP ( Raleigh Durham area )
3. Race - if you are a colored person, is your experience any different (for good or bad) from what you had in CT? Is it any different in Charlotte vs places outside Charlotte? As a colored person ive had no issue and honestly i think CLT is becoming more and more diverse every year which is good.

We have been living in Hartford area for 8 years and we are comfortable here. No family but there are lot of friends here (who became friends after coming here.). We would like to know, based on your experience, is it worth moving out of your comfort zone in Hartford to Charlotte for a new beginning? I think this depends on what your looking for sine your from the north alot of people move down here for lower cost of living which makes sense. Schools wise Charlotte is limiting i think your better off opening your options to all of NC instead of solely on CLT. I would also recommend the Raleigh Durham Cary area.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts!
Comparing Charlotte with Raleigh makes very little sense. Charlotte is a large city (by U.S. standards) and has large city issues that come with large city diversity. Raleigh is a considerably smaller city with comparatively smaller problems, but nevertheless, they are still there. I believe Hartford is about the same size as Raleigh without the same diversity. Charlotte actually has some good public schools at this point. Unfortunately, the city seems to want equality in all schools (public and private) meaning that the goal is that all be at the same low performing level without having better/more advanced schools, but that is the trend in this new ideology we are seeing nationally. The trend is that a student from the worst community that isn't motivated can pass state standardized tests. In other words, Cheetah could obtain a diploma. Overall, Charlotte is an above average city in may aspects, i.e. standard of living, salaries, education levels, technology, opportunity, safety (in most areas), and location.

Old 05-25-2024, 06:24 AM

Having moved from East Hartford 10 years ago to a suburb of Charlotte, I would advise staying in Connecticut.

Old 05-26-2024, 08:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,992,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
Having moved from East Hartford 10 years ago to a suburb of Charlotte, I would advise staying in Connecticut.
Yah we made to move back to New England after living in Charlotte but to each his own

Old 05-26-2024, 05:06 PM

3,876 posts, read 4,301,694 times
During covid, I basically commuted to Boston suburbs and kept residence in NC with the possibility of relo after a year. Nice area and great folks but the housing stock is pathetic for the outrageous prices. My spouse was like, no fckn way. The weather didn’t help with basically 6 months of winter. Several of the folk I worked with were avid golfers and looking to move here or to the south for weather related reasons, two did but were close to retirement anyway.

Definitely better bang for your buck in Charlotte, even in this crazy market. It all boils down to career opportunity and making the adjustments versus beotching about things being done differently here which works both ways, or wherever you move.

I say go for it and definitely don’t seek the advice of anyone else, you’ll get bombarded with opinionated pros and cons. I will say this, most northerners don’t go back and don’t wanna go back, well maybe to visit.

Old 05-26-2024, 06:22 PM

8,413 posts, read 7,716,168 times
Guys, the person who started this thread in 2020 hasn't returned since 2020. No doubt, he's already made a deciscion.Why revive a four year old thread? Pro tip: before replying, look at the date the question was asked.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
If you don’t have friends, family or a job here, why are you drawn to Charlotte? Is it that winter is dragging on in Hartford and you are wanting warmer weather. Yes, it IS warmer in the winter BUT there is a lot of rain. Also, allergies and traffic are crazy here. I’d stay in Hartford.
The actual facts:

- Annual rainfall in Charlotte is 43.6 inches. Annual rainfall In Hartford is 47.1 inches.

- According to the Center for Disease Control, the northeast (which includes Hartford) and the Midwest suffer
the highest Asthma rates.

- You were correct saying that it is warmer in Charlotte in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte