Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

6,108 posts, read 9,149,073 times

Advertisements

Some sad news broke today that Park Place Stadium Cinemas in downtown Charleston will be closing its doors.

Quote:
It is the end of an era for a longtime cinema in the Kanawha Valley.

Park Place Stadium Cinemas announced that it closed its doors for the last time on Monday, according to a message posted on social media by management. The cinema had been in operation for 43 years.

The cinema's owners cited declining business and the high cost of necessary upgrades for the closure.
https://wchstv.com/news/local/park-p...des-owners-say

There is some hope for a new movie theater moving into the space.

Quote:
The owners said they hope to find a buyer who will be able to return the cinema back to its former glory.

“We believe in the power of community and the magic of the movies, and we hope to see the lights of Park Place shine once again,” the message said.

Charleston Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin said in a statement Tuesday that the city will begin looking for a new tenant in the building.

“While we were only informed of the closure this morning, we are aware of other movie theater operators who have expressed interest in the space, the mayor said. “In addition, Mr. Hyman indicated he had spoken with other potential operators as well.”
I am fairly optimistic that the city will find a national brand movie theater company to occupy the space. Believe it or not, the demand is there. Park Place was simply outdated and they didn't want to invest in it. Maybe a Regal, AMC, or something like that would come in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

587 posts, read 598,667 times
Now would be a great time to incorporate a new cinema into the Town Center grand plans if there really is a plan. Lots of potential and possibilities both good and bad.

Old Today, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Now would be a great time to incorporate a new cinema into the Town Center grand plans if there really is a plan. Lots of potential and possibilities both good and bad.
Absolutely! Unfortunately I don’t see the CTC owners having much of any plan. They are really good at boarding up store fronts.

Old Today, 10:40 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,625,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Absolutely! Unfortunately I don’t see the CTC owners having much of any plan. They are really good at boarding up store fronts.
This is really sad to a lot of Charleston residents both current and former who grew up going to Park Place. I still miss Kanawha Cinemas too but I know that one has been gone for years.

I really just think the last few retailers in Town Center should just move onto Capitol Street. American Eagle and a few others seem to be all that is left and perhaps the old Stone & Thomas which is supposed to have been redeveloped for years could just be the new home of JC Penney. I can't think of any reason why they want to stay in the mall other than perhaps they own that space outright. I will note the last time I was in a few weeks ago a number of former mall retailers such as Buckle, Lane Bryant, etc seem to have moved out to Southridge.

Old Today, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
This is really sad to a lot of Charleston residents both current and former who grew up going to Park Place. I still miss Kanawha Cinemas too but I know that one has been gone for years.

I really just think the last few retailers in Town Center should just move onto Capitol Street. American Eagle and a few others seem to be all that is left and perhaps the old Stone & Thomas which is supposed to have been redeveloped for years could just be the new home of JC Penney. I can't think of any reason why they want to stay in the mall other than perhaps they own that space outright. I will note the last time I was in a few weeks ago a number of former mall retailers such as Buckle, Lane Bryant, etc seem to have moved out to Southridge.
That would be great, but I don't see any of the national chains wanting to be in a downtown setting like that. A few of them might just hop on over to the new development in South Charleston. JCP would probably close before they would invest in the Stone & Thomas. That building needs a ton of work, plus there's no parking.

Old Today, 01:07 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,625,581 times
I think you're right about parking constraints. Living in a more urban walkable environment I forget that parking is considered more vital elsewhere and in a place like Charleston where people constantly complained about even paying for parking at the Town Center, that might be a hard sell. The old Stone & Thomas might have needed a lot of work to convert to offices but considering it was a huge multi-floor retail anchor until even the late 90s, it might be more suited for that. Then again, I guess a new build at Park Place or Southridge might make more sense from a cost benefit standpoint. Staying in that dead mall makes little to no sense for me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: