Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:20 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
A smallish update ---

Spoke to a few separate sources on the evolving hotel project and came away with a couple of tid-bits.

Demolition of the Sears building will begin between Labor Day and the end of September. The exact date is still a bit fluid, I assume it is based on weather or some other factor. But it may be something to do with property ownership transfer as well. I do not know for sure.

The demolition is expected to run through an 8 to 10 week period ending between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The site will then be re-tested for any issues and I believe a density test will be done.

Site prep for new construction is supposed to run from roughly January 1 through March 1 with construction commencing sometime in March, but perhaps not until April. I do think that is weather dependent.

The current plan is for the building to not complete before end of summer 2020.

I do not have any details on the proposed build or brand.

In a some related bit of news, I was informed that a buyer is in the preliminary stages of purchasing Town Center but it would not go public for 12 months with an actual transfer date about 18 months from now, which would be January 1 2020.

Again, I know it is not much and it is unsubstantiated but the sources are solid and I believe them.
Thanks for the information CG! I hope that this project comes to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Yes, thanks for the update CG. It’s fun to visualize the potential of the town center with a new hotel attached in that location. The possibilities are endless.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
I’m setting my expectations for this thing so low that there can’t possibly be a way I’m disappointed with the final outcome if it is ever constructed.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I’m setting my expectations for this thing so low that there can’t possibly be a way I’m disappointed with the final outcome if it is ever constructed.
Lol, that’s not a bad idea.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Sadly I've started doing that with every development in every part of the state...aside from the eastern panhandle.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Sadly I've started doing that with every development in every part of the state...aside from the eastern panhandle.

Morgantown seems to have a pretty good track record, maybe not as good as the EP, but better than other regions in the state.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:51 PM

146 posts, read 166,218 times
Quote:
Yeah I am totally expecting a Hampton Inn and a Shoe Carnival store and will be so excited if it turns out to be a Hilton Hotel and a Dillards or Von Maur.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
I like many of you will not get my hopes up too high for this. I see The potential for something special, however the likelihood of it falling through is concerning. Also, getting stuck with a lackluster hotel would be hard to stomach.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Even the EP has closed a mall and is in the process of "rebranding" into a plaza type development.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Even the EP has closed a mall and is in the process of "rebranding" into a plaza type development.
Very true, but even that has already fallen short of expectations. When it was first proposed, "new to the region" retail and food options to pull from MD, VA.

What do we have? Little Caesars, Five Guys, Wing Stop (first in WV so that is a plus), Five Guys, hair/nail salons, multiple cell phone stores, Mattress Warehouse and a Party City.

Most of the "redeveloped" space remains empty with no new leases being signed. They did a great job redeveloping and giving the property a much-needed facelift...but did so without having leases actually signed.

It's a step forward in the right direction for sure, at least something is being done. It's just unfortunate that even in the fastest growing and most prosperous part of WV, commercial realtors are still having trouble getting ink on contracts. It's also just an indicator of the retail climate nationwide, so I don't get concerned that we're too far behind the curve.

Like others, I'm hoping for the best for CTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston