Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,645,283 times

Advertisements

The last few times I visited Bridge Road Bistro I was unimpressed. I think 1010 Kitchen opening down the street (which if I recall took a number of their employees) along with the new Fernbank restaurant right next to Lolas - great burgers by the way- might have chased off some business.

The loss of Tidewater is devastating to me as I have been a fan my entire life. That being said from what I read the owner said that there just isn't enough traffic anymore to keep the place going. Whether that is the full story or not we will likely never know. Chop House was good enough but I've always preferred Laurys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 09:26 AM

16,762 posts, read 15,819,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The last few times I visited Bridge Road Bistro I was unimpressed. I think 1010 Kitchen opening down the street (which if I recall took a number of their employees) along with the new Fernbank restaurant right next to Lolas - great burgers by the way- might have chased off some business.

The loss of Tidewater is devastating to me as I have been a fan my entire life. That being said from what I read the owner said that there just isn't enough traffic anymore to keep the place going. Whether that is the full story or not we will likely never know. Chop House was good enough but I've always preferred Laurys.
The 1010 chef is Paul Smith, the guy that keeps getting nominated for James Beard awards.

I've been to Fernback a few times. The food is good, and they have a nice variety of craft beer on tap. They were the first place in Charleston to get a keg from Koerber, the new brewery in Barboursville.

I was at Tidewater about 6 weeks ago. While I'm not really complaining, I think the food quality has slipped from "really great" to "pretty good." I never ate at Chop House.

I was told last year that a bartender leaving the Bistro had caused the bar service to suffer, but that is not first hand knowledge.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't be surprised regarding the food quality at Tidewater- I was there over Easter and while I only sat at the bar with a few friends/ family, I didn't have a very extensive meal - just the jerk shrimp and Greek salad. And of course the bread. The service was however quite SLOW.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:22 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,227,730 times
Tidewater was truly one of my favorite places in Charleston. It will be missed. The Chop House and Bridge Road Bistro I won't miss.

Restaurants come and go, but places like that have been around long enough that you struggle to imagine them closing.

Old 05-15-2024, 05:25 AM

Two new food options are coming to Charleston hat are both second locations for Hurricane based businesses. And a downtown gelato place is reopening for the summer.

Plus Chuck E Cheese grand reopening after renovation.

Bogey's > Capitol Market (Former Fresh Seafood Co.)
Quote:
Popular Tornado-based barbecue restaurant Bogey’s Driving Range will open a second location in Charleston within the next six to eight weeks to become Capitol Market’s first new, indoor tenant in more than 10 years.

After a months-long search that resulted in more than 50 applications to fill the space formerly occupied by Fresh Seafood Company, market officials announced Bogey’s at Capitol Market as its new restaurant during a media event last Wednesday.
Sergio's Cucina Italiana & Steaks > West Side (Former Books & Brews)
Quote:
Popular (and still new) Hurricane restaurant Sergio’s Cucina Italiana & Steaks is close to opening its second location in the old Books & Brews on Charleston’s West Side, although this location will be called Sergio’s Cucina Italiana & Pizza.

“Signs are up! Hood is up and operating! Staff has been hired! And systems are a go!” owner Sergio Lugo-Mata announced last week, referring to the remodeled space at 222 West Washington St.
Stella's Gelato > Hale Street
Quote:
A boutique café offering artisanal gelato, ultra-premium extra-virgin olive oil and Italian barrel-aged balsamic vinegars has reopened for the summer in downtown Charleston. Tucked just around the corner from the old Blossom Deli on Quarrier Street, Stella’s Gelato & Specialty Market at 202 Hale St. is now open from noon to 6 p.m. every Wednesday through Sunday.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/t...e66af864d.html

Chuck E Cheese underwent a renovation and is holding a grand reopening on Friday.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/grand-...in-charleston#

Last edited by Chriscross309; 05-15-2024 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-30-2024, 06:36 AM

Sergio's Cucina Italiana & Steaks is now open in Elk City at the former Books and Brews. This is a great addition to the culinary scene in that part of town.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...in-charleston/

Old 06-02-2024, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 92 times
Anyone know what the old cellular Verizon store by the ultimate car wash in Kanawha city is being converted into? Looks like a drive thru window has been added so far and major interior remodeling.

Also, where Hardee’s used to be in marmet is in construction there too. There’s a sign posted at the outer edge regarding a permit for Sheetz.

Old 06-02-2024, 11:01 PM

69 posts, read 73,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Sergio's Cucina Italiana & Steaks is now open in Elk City at the former Books and Brews. This is a great addition to the culinary scene in that part of town.

Can't wait to try it out this week. My wife and i are regulars at Guadalajara Modern Mexican in Nitro and Sergio's in Hurricane. The building that this is located in at Elk City is really nice, and i agree this is a great addition to Charleston as a whole.

Old 06-03-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

Looking forward to trying this out when I visit over the Fourth of July!

Old 06-06-2024, 11:57 PM

69 posts, read 73,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Looking forward to trying this out when I visit over the Fourth of July!
Wife and i plan on going this evening. We love their Hurricane location, and the Nitro Mexican cuisine location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston