Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 03:38 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times

Advertisements

They tore down/moved off all the portable classrooms from Wando last summer. It wouldn't surprise me if they just relocated down the street to LB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 02:17 PM

15 posts, read 21,322 times
Thank you for the information. It's nice to know. I also wondered about Oceanside Collegiate Academy; there is a waitlist to which I added our name but I don't think my son would get in for next year. As I originally said, my kids are tennis obsessed and would love to have the more flexible schedule Oceanside allows to practice their sport.

It just does seem like such a great community for families. So much for children -- art classes and sports teams and manners classes...you name it.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:36 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady1023 View Post
Thank you for the information. It's nice to know. I also wondered about Oceanside Collegiate Academy; there is a waitlist to which I added our name but I don't think my son would get in for next year. As I originally said, my kids are tennis obsessed and would love to have the more flexible schedule Oceanside allows to practice their sport.

It just does seem like such a great community for families. So much for children -- art classes and sports teams and manners classes...you name it.
From what I've heard, Oceanside Collegiate is a great School but getting into it can be difficult. Much like the Academic Magnet High School and many of the other limited admission schools. It's good that you are on the waiting list but I wouldn't count too heavily on gaining admission.

Old 03-03-2023, 03:01 PM

One more question - and I know I asked a variation of this before: in Mount Pleasant are there certain neighborhoods that are just known as KID neighborhoods? Just known for kids outside on the streets and zooming around on bikes? In thinking about where we want to be I'd love to be in kid central...that's what we are really lacking here in our current situation. I know several neighborhoods were mentioned but of those -- are any just like above and beyond overflowing with kids? I don't even know if that's quantifiable, but I'd be interested in what you all have to say.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by littlelady1023; 03-03-2023 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Clarify

Old 03-03-2023, 05:15 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Carolina Park
Portions of Park West (Pembroke comes to mind)

Those two are top of mind for young families

Old 03-03-2023, 07:06 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Belle Hall is flooded with teens running around. Really close to Lucy Beckham and tennis facilities. On the negative, not much available.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:13 PM

ok thank you...will check those out for sure.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:28 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Hi there. Have you visited the area?

Mount Pleasant and Daniel Island are good suggestions BUT Mount Pleasant does not have the "small town community feel" that you said you love. Nor does it have the "character of old east coast neighborhoods and gardens except in the Old Village historic district which is beautiful and mucho bucks. If you come, be sure to visit.

There's no center to Mount Pleasant, no downtown. It's basically a highway (Hwy 17) that runs the length of it with subdivisions spawning off of it. The subdivisions are nice, and those will become your "community". Snee Farm is a great location. Hamlin, Charleston National, and Carolina Park are two of the nicer ones in North Mount Pleasant.

If you are looking for a "resort style" planning community though, with pickle ball courts and tennis courts, and a big community center with a gym and yoga classes, lots of events, and multiple pools, I believe you'd need to look at something like Cane Bay in Summerville or Nexton in Summerville. Nexton was voted the #1 master planned community in the US recently, and in addition to the aforementioned amenities, has a bunch of shops and restaurants, vet and other things. It's a ways from downtown Charleston though. You're also far from the water.

The "small town community feel" you want is on Daniel Island (which doesn't feel like an island at all). It's part of Charleston, but feels like a little town. I grew up in New England, and it reminds me the most of a small New England town - lots of town events, parades, very close community feel. Very safe - probably the safest area in the Charleston metro (MP would be next). It's small enough to feel homey, but has most of everything you'd need absent big box stores and a hospital, but is only 15 min for downtown Charleston. Every part of Daniel Island is connected to all the other parts via paved trails.

Other than Cane Bay and Nexton, I don't know of any subdivisions that outdoor pickle ball courts like you may be imagining. I think there are some but they are indoor at gyms and rec centers.

Come take a look around. They are all very different.
I agree with most of this post, but just want to correct information about Cane Bay & Nexton being far from the water. Cane Bay and Nexton are only about 50 minutes from the ocean. And, Cane Bay actually has a 300-acre lake system with many lakefront homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area