Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 11:48 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeades View Post
I see your frustration, but shouldn't the home owner have the opportunity to sell to the highest bidder?
Not always, I sold my rental property (after 15 years), to the middle bidder, not the highest. I looked at the people and their situations. I told the investment buyer that offered cash to get lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 05:31 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Yes, they should have the opportunity, they should have the choice. The decision they make is on the seller.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:33 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
Thread from over a year ago but we purchased in the upstate last Dec and the house we purchased was on the market for 24 hours we found it , inspected and closed within 2 weeks FROM Fl without ever seeing it in person so.......

Old 09-22-2023, 11:20 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EutawSprings1992 View Post
Thanks m1a1mg ,

That is what I am hoping for. It was astonishing to see a double wide on .50 acres of land offered for sale at $250k. That would have been a $60k listing just 48 months ago. Or the uncleared acre listings for land for 20k? There is really something odd going on. I get that the greater Metro area is booming. But Eutawville, Holly Hill, Eloree ? So odd to me.
It's been over a year. Someone else brought this thread back to life, you're still renting in Summerville I assume. The recession you were hoping for(!) hasn't happened. I don't know why you were hoping for hundreds of thousands of people to be put out of work, to lose their income and their homes, just so you could afford your little slice of heaven.

Anyone who hopes for a recession has obviously never lived through a recession.

Old 09-23-2023, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 43,021 times
Recession? Heck no. Just a correction.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:26 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Fed will likely raise rates one more time this year. Probably not a recession but it’s definitely going to hurt home sales, and could lead to lower prices.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Fed will likely raise rates one more time this year. Probably not a recession but it’s definitely going to hurt home sales, and could lead to lower prices.
...unfortunately high interest rates are actually driving prices higher in the segment I'm looking for in Summerville (55+ communities).
People close to retirement are making it like bandit on their cash, CDs and MMFs and very few buy with mortgages (at least large ones).
There are certain segments that are experiencing a mini bubble.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:38 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Not always, I sold my rental property (after 15 years), to the middle bidder, not the highest. I looked at the people and their situations. I told the investment buyer that offered cash to get lost.
In my last home sale, I sold to the middle buyer as it seemed the "cleanest" of the 3. He was a being relocted by Boeing.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:33 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...unfortunately high interest rates are actually driving prices higher in the segment I'm looking for in Summerville (55+ communities).
People close to retirement are making it like bandit on their cash, CDs and MMFs and very few buy with mortgages (at least large ones).
There are certain segments that are experiencing a mini bubble.
I agree. And, and I also believe higher interest rates won't effect younger buyers moving to the Charleston area from other areas, cities, and states with a lot of money. So, it's not just people close to retirement that can afford to pay higher home prices without mortgages or with minimal mortgages. And, I also believe that the higher interest rates won't effect some home prices either. Some will remain steady or increase based upon location, amenities, etc - especially if they are waterfront properties.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:33 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
I agree. And, and I also believe higher interest rates won't effect younger buyers moving to the Charleston area from other areas, cities, and states with a lot of money. So, it's not just people close to retirement that can afford to pay higher home prices without mortgages or with minimal mortgages. And, I also believe that the higher interest rates won't effect some home prices either. Some will remain steady or increase based upon location, amenities, etc - especially if they are waterfront properties.
High interest rates affect everyone in a roundabout way. Current mortgage holders who have ~3% rate are reluctant to sell and with good reason in most cases. No one wants to trade their mortgage for one that's twice as high, so many folks are staying put who would be otherwise upsizing/downsizing or moving for any other non-essential reason. This results in fewer houses coming to the market, which results in a higher demand/supply ratio, which results in higher prices. Yes, folks who are paying cash don't have to consider the current mortgage rate but they still are faced with the higher prices. That said, It's definitely true that those hardest hit are homebuyers wanting to put a minimum down and of course this means many young, first time homebuyers.

It's interesting to note that the average mortgage rate over the past 50 years is 7.74%. The highest year on average was 1981 when the average hit 16.63%. Can you imagine that?

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/h...ortgage-rates/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area