Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 05:12 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,987,697 times

Advertisements

Google earth updated their images for April 4th for peninsula up to riverside park just past was the naval base. The most notable stuff i'm seeing is the bridge at McMillan ave over the railway, the new railyard just past that bridge, and what appears to be a rather large project at at shipyard creek right across from the leatherman terminal, not sure what that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 10:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,254,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I'd think inner city bus routes would work better just because it's a much denser population.
I think portions of close in West Ashley and lower North Charleston also have adequate density. Beyond that they would need to strategically place bus stations or pick/up drop offs either for being central walking points or park and ride. MUSC/CofC/a couple of others already have de facto park and rides with CARTA. Whenever you see a bus marked Express it means it has limited stops- usually one or two lots in each part of town and about 4 employers/main points. As much as the pro-mass transit crowd is often anti-corporate, the big employers are who could really drive bus use.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:38 AM

273 posts, read 285,765 times
Chick Fil A is building a new location at Ladson Road and Palmetto Commerce across the street from Spinx and Bojangles.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:48 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,637,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think portions of close in West Ashley and lower North Charleston also have adequate density. Beyond that they would need to strategically place bus stations or pick/up drop offs either for being central walking points or park and ride. MUSC/CofC/a couple of others already have de facto park and rides with CARTA. Whenever you see a bus marked Express it means it has limited stops- usually one or two lots in each part of town and about 4 employers/main points. As much as the pro-mass transit crowd is often anti-corporate, the big employers are who could really drive bus use.
The park and ride concept makes more sense to me than busses in the burbs. It could be done with Sprinter vans taking 12 or so passengers at a time. It still has all of the inconveniences of not driving your own car on your own schedule but less of the problems that come with busses. I don't know if it could be economically feasible to be only carrying that many passengers but maybe. I think it's use and therefore it's effectiveness in alleviating traffic would be pretty limited though. I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:03 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 28 days ago)

5,772 posts, read 4,779,203 times
Without restricted lanes for buses, it probably wouldn't work.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,254,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
The park and ride concept makes more sense to me than busses in the burbs. It could be done with Sprinter vans taking 12 or so passengers at a time. It still has all of the inconveniences of not driving your own car on your own schedule but less of the problems that come with busses. I don't know if it could be economically feasible to be only carrying that many passengers but maybe. I think it's use and therefore it's effectiveness in alleviating traffic would be pretty limited though. I'd be happy to be wrong about that.
If you work somewhere were parking is truly remote- think MUSC or VA- the park and ride concept becomes a lot more appealing as you come and leave in pretty close proximity to your building or office. This is true for some at CofC as well. Then you factor in the time savings of not having to deal with 'rush hour' in the parking garages which can be a real pain.

It will never work for someone who has multiple school drop-offs or has multiple off site meetings any given day. The big impediment remains how congested some roads are- this kicks the buses off schedule fairly quickly so unless your employee makes concessions in regard to timeliness, some people pass for that reason.

Old 06-02-2024, 02:20 PM

With Inlet Square in Murrels Inlet getting demolished after being purchased in 2023 just adds to the fact the owners of Citadel Mall will never do anything to the property.

Old 06-02-2024, 04:33 PM

320 posts, read 266,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
With Inlet Square in Murrels Inlet getting demolished after being purchased in 2023 just adds to the fact the owners of Citadel Mall will never do anything to the property.
The literally uplifted the JCPenney space for MUSC. The old Sears building is used for filming and production work. Some production jobs were actually moved here from New York. It's leased by HBO, not the Righteous Gemstones production company. Some of the vacant inline space is now being leased to offices and warehouse uses. The mall far from being neglected.

There will be an announcement once the stormwater plan gets approved. The stormwater plan should be going before council soon.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
The literally uplifted the JCPenney space for MUSC. The old Sears building is used for filming and production work. Some production jobs were actually moved here from New York. It's leased by HBO, not the Righteous Gemstones production company. Some of the vacant inline space is now being leased to offices and warehouse uses. The mall far from being neglected.

There will be an announcement once the stormwater plan gets approved. The stormwater plan should be going before council soon.
Yes they are doing stuff to the mall, but the wide scale plans are still in the dark while other similar projects are fast lane driving to completion.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

13,052 posts, read 18,918,799 times
Was demolishing Citadel Mall ever in the plans? I see my dermatologist and rheumatologist at MUSC there. I had physical therapy there, too. Their facilities are gorgeous, first-class. Target is next door.

I’ve known many properties to be bought and demolished only for crickets to then happen for years. Sometimes new construction happens quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area