Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 07:02 AM

4,590 posts, read 3,790,042 times

Advertisements

When are we going to get better batteries for smart phones? Would replacing a battery for my iPhone 12 improve performance? It is currently listed as 78% max capacity and listed as “service battery” in the app - for an iPhone 12 that is 2.5 years old.

I have the itch to just buy a new iPhone in September when a new model comes out, but the speed of the iPhone 12 is just fine, so might as well extend it for $89, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:55 AM

6,498 posts, read 10,401,174 times
I have to assume that you mean that a replacement battery installed is $89. If that is the case, it is much more economical than buying a new model unless you absolutely have to or just want to. Until we perfect Dilithium crystals like in Star Trek, we just need technology in batteries to evolve over time.

I have seen battery technology improve since my first phone in the 1990's and it will get better, we just can't predict when or what will evolve.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:20 AM

4,590 posts, read 3,790,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have to assume that you mean that a replacement battery installed is $89. If that is the case, it is much more economical than buying a new model unless you absolutely have to or just want to. Until we perfect Dilithium crystals like in Star Trek, we just need technology in batteries to evolve over time.

I have seen battery technology improve since my first phone in the 1990's and it will get better, we just can't predict when or what will evolve.
Correct - I have an iPhone12 purchased in March of 2021, so it will be 3 years old soon I guess? But it seems the screen and chip technology improves very fast for iPhones.

As much as I want a new iPhone, I’m not a millionaire. It seems more reasonable to upgrade the battery for my iPhone 12 (78% capacity in the app) and make my iPhone last maybe 2 more years

Old 04-06-2024, 12:56 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,542,281 times
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, including the age of my current phone (SE) and battery percentage. I'm also thinking of buying a new phone since in my experience, once the battery starts getting in the low 70% range, it starts to have problems, like turning off when there's still battery left. For my last iphone (6S), I did replace the battery when it was around 70% and I didn't feel like it did much. Maybe a little, but it still drained very fast. I ended up getting my current phone not long after. But that's just my experience with an iphone 6s and it was about 4 years ago so maybe things have improved since then. The Apple store worker at the time told me that there's a lot of other components in the phone that may cause poor performance besides the battery.

Old 04-06-2024, 03:59 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,614,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Correct - I have an iPhone12 purchased in March of 2021, so it will be 3 years old soon I guess? But it seems the screen and chip technology improves very fast for iPhones.

As much as I want a new iPhone, I’m not a millionaire. It seems more reasonable to upgrade the battery for my iPhone 12 (78% capacity in the app) and make my iPhone last maybe 2 more years
Sounds as though you don't have AppleCare on the phone. If you had AppleCare, Apple would replace the battery once it hits 80% or goes below 80% (I can't remember which). AppleCare has been a good value for me on other things...but not on my phone (it stubbornly has stayed at 83% for years ), so I eventually canceled the AppleCare on that device (phone is an iPhone 2020 SE purchased new in 2020). I originally had the phone in an Otterbox Defender case from day one, but I switched to this battery case:

https://www.amazon.com/mophie-3673_J...153544539&th=1

...and I like the combined/added up battery power available as well as the 'smaller footprint' of this case.

As others have mentioned, if your maximum battery percentage gets much lower than your current 78%, you may start to have 'issues'.

Old 04-07-2024, 05:59 AM

4,160 posts, read 3,085,928 times
I agree about phone batteries. When the battery on my "dumb phone" failed after a few months of ownership, I had to contact the manufacturer and convince them to send a new battery from China. Why can't phones just use standard batteries that people can buy at the drug store?

Old 04-07-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Why can't phones just use standard batteries that people can buy at the drug store?
Keep in mind, if available, those are typically aftermarket built, not under any manufacturer warranty and can be questionable in build quality. For example, the phone cables bought there rarely last as long as OEM cables. That is not something that I am willing to risk with my cell phone, your choice.

Also, keep in mind that typically, each model phone uses a slightly different battery which makes it typically incompatible with next year's model. Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola (for example) do not use compatible batteries with any other manufacturer's device.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 04-07-2024 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-07-2024, 11:19 AM

6,609 posts, read 5,012,638 times
I usually need a new iPhone battery every two years - I had the one in my original SE replaced twice (by Apple - which was worth the extra cost because the second time they fried the phone and replaced it)

My current iPhone, bought October 2021 is at 84% battery health and I am starting to have to top it off late in the afternoon if I take a few calls during the day.

I really wish they were user replaceable like the flip phones were. I always had a spare battery for those.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I really wish they were user replaceable like the flip phones were.
I believe the current trend of non-consumer replaceable batteries is to make phones less susceptible to water and dust intrusion.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:17 PM

6,609 posts, read 5,012,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I believe the current trend of non-consumer replaceable batteries is to make phones less susceptible to water and dust intrusion.
I think we're a little past current trend now, iPhones have always been sealed. Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years now! But yes, that makes sense about the water and dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones