Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

I haven't traveled out of USA & used TracFone. Yes, I have looked at their website, which was useless. I also googled, with conflicting & confusing results. TracFone customer service is terrible, if I message, all I get is robot trying to sell phones, if I call, put on hold indefinitely.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy phone, if that helps. Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 08:09 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Where and when are you traveling? What phone (make/model #)? If you can't find the answer, eventually you will have to speak with their customer service, no matter how difficult it might be.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Where and when are you traveling? What phone (make/model #)? If you can't find the answer, eventually you will have to speak with their customer service, no matter how difficult it might be.
I noted make/model above. My first trip isn't anything exotic, just into Canada. It's not that I don't want to speak to customer service, there IS NO Customer Service.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
No, your Tracfone will not work internationally…

People also ask
Will TracFone work internationally?
Can I receive international calls on my TRACFONE cell phone when I am outside of the United States? No. TRACFONE cell phones don't work outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S.

Are Samsung Tracfones locked?

Samsung mobile phone units that you can get from TracFone are locked and can be used only on this specific carrier. This prevents the user from using it on other networks.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I noted make/model above.
Actually, you didn't. I have a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and they are similar but definitely not the same phone. If you bought your phone through Tracfone, it is more likely an "A" series Galaxy phone. They have different features/capabilities. That's why I asked what make/model # you were using.

Old 02-09-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
actually, you didn't. I have a samsung galaxy s23 ultra and they are similar but definitely not the same phone. If you bought your phone through tracfone, it is more likely an "a" series galaxy phone. They have different features/capabilities. That's why i asked what make/model # you were using.
ao3s

Old 02-09-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
ao3s
Thank you for clarifying. The reason I asked is that some of the less expensive models (Galaxy A series in particular) may lack certain required frequencies that would allow them to operate even if unlocked.

Old 02-10-2024, 01:27 AM

Yes, it's a cheap one. I would only use for calls & texts, don't need the rest.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's a cheap one. I would only use for calls & texts, don't need the rest.
You might not need or want data, but the plans are designed to include voice, text, and data. You can block data by placing the phone in airplane mode and using local Wi-Fi instead. As pointed out above, the phone will not roam internationally with Tracfone.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
You might not need or want data, but the plans are designed to include voice, text, and data. You can block data by placing the phone in airplane mode and using local Wi-Fi instead. As pointed out above, the phone will not roam internationally with Tracfone.
OK, thanks for the info. Now, do you know if there is a international equivalent to Tracfone? I need a phone, but I'm not going to change my cell phone habits or usage. I'm guessing there must be a pay-as-you go type of cell phone in countries outside of USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones