Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:17 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear that. The snowball effect of modern technology.

"It just works" is a quote from Apple founder Steve Jobs, that's had plenty of jokes/memes spawned from it. I'm a magnet for scenarios involving technology where "it doesn't work". They should be hiring me as a worst case scenario expert to help eliminate these problems before they start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 05:47 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Sorry to hear that. The snowball effect of modern technology.

"It just works" is a quote from Apple founder Steve Jobs, that's had plenty of jokes/memes spawned from it. I'm a magnet for scenarios involving technology where "it doesn't work". They should be hiring me as a worst case scenario expert to help eliminate these problems before they start.
Indeed. One might think that with so many people transfering cell phone providers and porting cell phone numbers they would have figured this out long ago.

I can live without the alerts for a while, but if it continues I will have to seek a work around.

The immediate ptoblem would be 2FA on various accounts/websites, where I log on with a username and password, but have to confirmed by a number code sent my text to my cell phone. If those bounce then I lose access to my bank accounts.

Will wait until Monday then try logging on to some of those sites and see what works.

I suppose I should be grateful that pretty much everything else is "working" at the moment.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:38 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
One thing I have found is that Google numbers seem to not work with all financial institutions. Some of them mistakenly think a Google number cannot receive a text. I use email for alerts instead.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
One thing I have found is that Google numbers seem to not work with all financial institutions. Some of them mistakenly think a Google number cannot receive a text. I use email for alerts instead.
Indeed. I am familiar with Google Voice, which allows texts, but where the phone number is perceived by some banks as invalid, due to it being internet-based. Same with Ooma, although Ooma cannot do texts.

But Google Fi is a legitimate MVNO, using the T-Mobile network. So I hope that it works or will work with text alerts. I know the texting feature works, just not with my banks ( so far ).

Some of my banks do email alerts and some do not. They apparently have different rules and perceive "risks" differently.

What I am about to try, is to set up banking text alerts to my Google Voice number, which will trigger text-to-emails.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:44 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
But Google Fi is a legitimate MVNO, using the T-Mobile network. So I hope that it works or will work with text alerts. I know the texting feature works, just not with my banks ( so far ).
My guess is whatever flag is coming through as "un-textable" for Google Voice, perhaps Google Fi gets the same treatment by these banks. Google Fi works via Google Voice when it can. For example if the phone is on wifi, then when a call is placed, it will use VOIP just like if Google Voice was used to place the call.

Last edited by akrausz; 02-04-2024 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
It still might be the same problem. Google Fi is "related" to Google Voice. For example if the phone is on wifi, then when a call is placed, I believe it will use VOIP to whatever extent it can. So whatever flag is coming through as "un-textable" for Google Voice, perhaps Google Fi gets the same treatment by these banks.
I suspect you are quite right ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones