Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 04:38 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times

Advertisements

I have vet scheduled for tomorrow. She came in around 10-11am and got hurt somehow. Was limping and will not walk on front leg. I did a minor inspection and she growled, but I don't see anything. Something could be underneath the leg.

She can jump because when she came in she jumped through the window I have open for her. Which is a 17" jump. Later she jumped onto a chair. But walking is painful, so she rests/sleeps.

Then she walked to hide/sleep under the bed. I went in to check later and she was still under the bed, happy to see me, but not wanting to follow me to kitchen.

Then about 2 hours pass so I went to check on her again and I was shocked- she was sleeping ON the bed in a peaceful looking curl! And I have a high mattress that makes bed high even for me sometimes to get on. I hope she moves because she is sleeping in my spot and not at the end of the bed, which is a first, and why it surprised me.

So I know she can jump. Vet tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 06:37 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I’m glad that you’re taking her to the vet.

I have never heard of a cat spraining a leg—I feel like that is much more common in dogs. However, I suppose it’s possible. More likely she has something wrong with one of her paws/toes; she may have lost a nail or damaged one of her pads somehow.

It’s also possible that she sustained a bite from another animal and that it is difficult to see the puncture wound under the fur. Such wounds often go undetected until there is swelling (usually, the next day).

Either way, the vet will suss it out tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:29 PM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Fingers and tails are crossed. She will be fine!

Old 04-23-2024, 08:20 PM

Thankyou both! Update- a few hours ago when resting on the bed, i went in and she let me rub her head and chin as she always likes. She turns her head upside down to let me rub her chin. I noticed when she was sleeping she slept on both sides, even on the hurt leg.

About 30 minutes ago I checked on her and she got up and wanted to get off the bed. I helped her off the bed and encouraged her to walk, and she is using the front hurt leg but not with full pressure. 'Tip toe' so to speak. She wasn't using that front leg at all earlier, but always holding it up.

And a few minutes ago I just checked again and she used the litter box!

And now as I write this post she rubbed my leg like she always does at times!

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Keep the vet appointment, but it sounds OK. Either she's getting used to the pain or it's a soft tissue injury and will hopefully sort itself out. My outdoor cat came limping in after having stayed out all Halloween night, so we went to the vet. He said it was OK, but the cat still limps a bit.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
So what does doc say about kitty?

As for leaping onto surfaces, I've said kitties can fly because most cats, even elders, can spring up two or three feet as if they're levitating. Pretty cool trick.

I hope the vet gets at the cause and finds the cure.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

The vet took a look and found a small wound under the front leg, where I thought it was. Kinda of the 'arm pit' area, that's covered up with a lot of hair. We saw a tiny bit of blood too. As he tried to look closer, holding my cat in a small towel, my cat kept swiping at him and actually produced a 1.5 inch scratch on his hand!

Even after being scratched he continued without a pause as if nothing happened, to try and get a closer look at the wound, with assistant's help. But kitty was not liking it so he stopped.

He was very gentle with her, and wasn't go to hold her tighter and force her leg out. Which I think is correct because you don't want to make an unknown injury worse. How deep the wound is we don't know. He saw her walking ok and did not suggest there might be a serious injury. The plan is daily antibiotic, and pain med as needed for 7 days and watch and re-evaluate.

She slept a lot today and that will help it heal. I had a cat once with a severe side injury that fully healed. It was amazing. So I think she will be ok.

Except for still walking slower she does use the hurt leg for everything else like before, cleaning,stretching, etc. And she's doing all the things she likes to do before, like sit on the table in the screened porch and look out in the yard. And my favorite- sitting on my lap every night. Not last night but tonight she did!

I found the cat in the park when she was young. Not a kitten, but young. She wanted to play all the time, so have toys and string for that. She wants to follow me everywhere. If I go for a bike ride she waits for me. She likes to sit/rest on the front door entrance to watch people and pets going by. She likes to sit on my car in the driveway, and even likes to get on the roof!

She use to to get off the roof by herself either from a car, or the fence. To get off the roof she would just jump off (onto the grass)!. Unbelievable. Amazingly acrobatic. She can jump from the bathroom vanity onto the top of the bathroom door, which I've never seen a cat do!. The top of the door is 1.5 inches.

One time I was on the roof checking some shingles, and I felt something touch me- it was her! Then she got to the highest point on the roof to get a good look around. I should have took video.

thanks!

Last edited by james112; Yesterday at 08:10 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Cats are tough. They also take a lot of risks and get hurt but usually bounce right back.

Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that she is okay!

Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Great news; I hope she's fine when the drugs are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats