Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2024, 04:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

I recently (and mistakenly) though transitioning to a new food with additional vegetables would help with hairballs. The base formulas are pretty much identical but notice the inclusion of blueberries in the new food. Suddenly my cat is very gassy and has thrown up the food several times, currently she won't touch any dry food and am awaiting a Chewy order of the old dry food tomorrow. A quick internet search indicated blueberries and their seeds can cause issues. Has anyone else seen or heard this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 05:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
Unlike dogs, cats are obligatory carnivores. I wouldn't expect ANY fruit or veg in my cat food.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:08 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
My parrots love blueberries with no ill effects (except their poo is purple).

Old 04-22-2024, 07:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,771,744 times
Feed cats wet or raw food. Cats are obligate carnivores, who get most of their water through their food. If fed dry food, they often cannot drink enough water to be sufficiently hydrated.

I feed wet and raw to my 3 cats (one a long haired cat) and they gift me maybe one very small hairball every 2 years or so.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:31 PM

496 posts, read 327,466 times
Cats evolved to get their nutrition from meat like whole prey like voles and rats. They do not eat plants in the wild.

I suspect the packaging mentioned the blueberries because they are marketing their products to the humans who are buying the cat food.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
My parrots love blueberries with no ill effects (except their poo is purple).
Parrots. Hmmm. Parrots. No cats, eh? Unlike cats, I have always understood that parrots are fruitarians, or nearly so, as their diet is mostly nuts and fruit.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I used to say that it was frustrating how many cat foods are marketed to sound good to HUMANS when if it were truly a species appropriate cat diet, we'd be seeing less "Turkey dinner with rice and carrots" and more "Bunny Brains and Mousie Guts." Lizards, birdies and bugs.

Well, I went into one of those super bougie fancy pet health stores not long ago (between a Whole Foods and a bike shop if that tells you anything) and lo! They had a canned cat food featuring MOUSE as its main ingredient! I was so excited. Then I looked at the ingredients list. Obviously they added a plant based filler, of course they did. Tomato paste? Tomato paste. Look, I know that some cats (I used to have one) will mug you over a pizza slice and gobble that sucker tomato sauce and all if allowed, but I have never seen tomato used as a cat food ingredient before and I'm just not sure about all that. I decided not to buy it.

I vaguely get that animal based material is costly and most, if not all, of the canned (and even some of the raw) cat food products on the market have stuff that isn't really nutritionally useful for our cats. But surely blueberries are not a cost effective filler and tomato paste is just weird.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

24,586 posts, read 10,896,457 times
We use dry food/kibble as a sprinkle on top of wet food and leave some out over night. Izzi is a very bad eater and every bite counts.
If your cat has problems and you noticed it - quit feeding that stuff! Pleasae!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats