Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 12:06 PM

124 posts, read 105,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
In my experience, I prefer adopting cats at a very young age - like 8 weeks. I think you can tell a lot about how the cat will turn out as an adult - if you know what to look for.
Thank you for the sharing a different vantage point... it's something I'll take to heart. The rescue story of you special friend is inspiring and I'm so happy you were able to share 13 wonderful years together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It really is fascinating to see how the dynamics change with age, illness and/or external factors. But I think that this is why we love living with cats—it’s a journey, and it is never boring!
This is so true! The connection only seems to grow stronger and stronger over time. And as difficult as it was to see mine through his illness, it only strengthened that love even more. Losing them after sharing the journey of life together is heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 01:26 PM

5,024 posts, read 10,741,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBruno23 View Post
This is so true! The connection only seems to grow stronger and stronger over time. And as difficult as it was to see mine through his illness, it only strengthened that love even more. Losing them after sharing the journey of life together is heartbreaking.
It is heartbreaking. Nevertheless, if we didn’t mourn them as we do, we would never know that others will feel the same when we cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:43 PM

9,489 posts, read 11,253,748 times
I see the adopt a kitten POV, we've been on the opposite end of that scale. Kittens, most likely, WILL get adopted. It's the elders who sit and sit and wait.

Or if not elders, the difficult to place. Our Bizzie and Shelly adoption took a lot of time to iron out, as I've related here in other posts. Bizzie was VERY busy, manic you could say. Shelly was extremely withdrawn. Bizzie had been returned to the shelter twice, for biting we were told. She never exhibited biting with us. Nobody wanted Shelly, she was very withdrawn, she stayed hidden.

It was rough for a while, Bizzie harassed Shelly and otherwise acted as a manic will act. Eventually, Shelly had come out of her shell enough, and grown confident enough, that one day she put a paw to the side of Bizzie's face and said, "Enough!"
And that was it. The chasing was finished. Some time later Shelly hopped into my lap and she was forevermore a sweet warm lap kitty.

We added a sweet Lab retriever somewhere in this mix, because my wife's father couldn't properly take care of her any more. Sammie was as sweet and mellow as they come, she just further calmed down things in the household. Both cats would sleep or sit and meditate with her.

Sorry to bore you if you've seen that tale before. I can also go on and on about Molly and River, two elders (11) we adopted because they were unlikely to go anywhere. That also turned out pretty well. Molly died last year at 19, River's still rockin' at 20.

My point is you never know how that pair or triple, or whatever, of cats will turn out until they move in and live together. To me, rescuing an elder who's otherwise most likely to live out their years in the shelter, is the direction I'll take.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:48 PM

89 posts, read 28,747 times
Some shelters have pairs that require you adopt the set because they are bonded or one needs the other for comfort because they had a hard life.

We adopted a set like that Holly and Jingles. They had been abused terribly and Holly was so full of fleas we were told she almost died. She was always scared but needed her sister Jingles for support. She would not have thrived if she did not have her. Luckily Holly passed first many , many years down the road. They had a good life with us.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:19 PM

6,186 posts, read 4,592,221 times
The thing about dynamics is you never know until you see them in play. It's like dating, where things can look good and not work out. Or cats who fight like tigers can be lonely when one of them goes. Cats usually prefer to be only cats because they're territorial. The most we've had is three and we have 1.5 now, one indoor and one outdoor who's expected in for the night.

My two best girls were adopted as adults, needing homes badly, and they were the most loving animals I've ever known. My one kitten came as a lively, friendly little thing and became a monster. Now at 4 she's becoming more calm and affectionate and equally bonded to each of us. She looks for the arrival of Mr. Outside like she misses him, then starts a catfight that she loses every time. I think she likes being an only cat when she is, but wants more play and attention.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:45 PM

12,128 posts, read 8,523,626 times
I wanted littermates but it didn't work out that way. The male was introduced to the female about two weeks after she came home with us. Both about six weeks old. He was immediately welcomed.

They were best buddies and did everything together including their frequent naptimes in my lap. I always dropped what I was doing when they asked. Never had that luxury before and wanted to create a good bond.

At around a year and a half she began to be the dominant of the two and a bit jealous, I think, of my attention to him so
I used to have to split up the naptime cuddling and it's stayed that way ever since. Of course they aren't so frequent now but they still like to have a snuggle or two some time during the day.

Every now and then they will nap together. Once in a while they will swipe at each other and growl but nothing too serious. Cats need their space.

I was worried that she was being a bit overbearing but I've noticed he's learned to hold his own ground with her when he wants to. He's easy-going and often just apt to go off and find something else to do. She's the one who is deeply bonded with me, personality, communication and all, and he's more like a pet cat. LOL.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

741 posts, read 456,293 times
I adopted my cat because my daughter begged me to, as she only had dogs at her dad’s house. She promised to take care of the cat since I was pretty busy at the time. I gave in and adopted a cat. It was the cat that chose me when I came to the shelter. I was supposed to check out another one that I saw on the website, but came across her first. I thought I just want to pet her, and she rubbed against my leg like she’s known me all her life. She was only surrendered to the shelter only a few days before. I was working from home for 3 years during the pandemic, so I was with her all the time. She’s pretty attached to me, instead of my daughter. Now, I feel like I have a toddler (who gets freaked out when on a car ride) all over again. I’ve been laughing so much since she’s in my life. She’s pretty hilarious, affectionate, and playful. I feel pretty blessed!

If I was to adopt cats again, I’d get a pair of bonded cats. It’s too late to get another cat now since my cat prefers being the only child. I’d feel guilty to leave my only cat at home for a long period of time, since she’d miss me after 8 hours away. I’ve taken short vacations (less than a week at a time), and always have either my boyfriend and now my daughter (can drive now) to be with my cat at least 3 hours a day. Even then, I can see she’s still anxious and needy when I’m back. I’d feel better if knowing my cat having a feline companion that she won’t feel so lonely when I’m not around.

Last edited by Nut4sweets; Today at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats