Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 10:44 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times

Advertisements

Sounds like somebody was out sowing his wild oats for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 01:45 PM

3,275 posts, read 1,751,783 times
We had one rescue get out about 20 years ago and hit by a car. When we moved to a rural area, we had a neutered Maine Coon cat who liked to get outside. He was a big guy, about 18 pounds and he was sassy enough to chase the neighbor's dog out of the yard. Then he disappeared for three months before finally showing up skinny enough to have his ribs showing and with all the fur on his neck rubbed off. I guess some local mental case got hold of him and had him tied up someplace. Had the vet check him for broken bones. Thankfully none were found. But he either ate a poisoned rodent or had been poisoned deliberately. After a few days at the vet's to be sure we took him home and a couple of weeks of good eating he was back to his sassy old self again. He lived for several years after that. We tried keeping him inside, but he did manage to get out and unfortunately got hit by a truck not far from home. Our most recent rescue is a tabby who is a dedicated house cat who fortunately shows no interest in going outside.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:21 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 13 days ago)

791 posts, read 376,509 times
So the cat had kittens quick.. It had them on my tractor seat and then I bought a house to put blankets in where they could be left alone and the mother took to it quick. She moved the kittens to the house and she always had a full bowl of food and water. Yesterday she moved them to the outbuilding after 2 weeks in the house and I am not sure why. Maybe the towels were dirty or something? We were more active in the garage but the house is closed and insulated.

Questions are:

1. Why did she move them? I wanted them closer to the house and not in the dirty outbuilding. It is far more dangerous out there for kittens. The mom is friendly, she lets me pick her up and waits for me outside in the morning.

2. I saw one kitten dead when I moved my tractor and it was gutted. Did she do that?

Sorry if this is graphic but its nature.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat gone missing... then back-img_3411.jpg  

Old 04-19-2024, 09:19 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
So the cat had kittens quick.. It had them on my tractor seat and then I bought a house to put blankets in where they could be left alone and the mother took to it quick. She moved the kittens to the house and she always had a full bowl of food and water. Yesterday she moved them to the outbuilding after 2 weeks in the house and I am not sure why. Maybe the towels were dirty or something? We were more active in the garage but the house is closed and insulated.

Questions are:

1. Why did she move them? I wanted them closer to the house and not in the dirty outbuilding. It is far more dangerous out there for kittens. The mom is friendly, she lets me pick her up and waits for me outside in the morning.

2. I saw one kitten dead when I moved my tractor and it was gutted. Did she do that?

Sorry if this is graphic but its nature.
No, she did not do that. It sounds like there are predators around, which is why she moved the kittens. Providing her with a house is ok but it should have front and back entrances; otherwise, she and the kittens are very vulnerable to predators.

I know you live in a rural area but why do the cats not live inside? It would be so much better for them if you would just bring them in the house.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

80 posts, read 17,556 times
I Live in the Country- I have had more strays than I can count my fingers and toes come to my house looking for food.

Most - though not all I catch and care for. I disagree with letting these animals roam because we have fox and box cats out that will kill them. Plus Have have taken care of 3 litters when I first moved here so it is unfair to the poor animals and baby kittens.
Hawks are waiting in the trees when they are born.. and then the snakes.

So I have trapped- spaded and neutered and cared for well over 40 cats in the 29 years I have lived in the Country. They all are loved and they are well taken care of.
I use to call up my neighbors to ask if the cat(s) were theirs. One neighbor only said if it was a male it was his. He came for it and then his Mom called and said they could not find it(Left it out again to roam). She kept calling asking if I had him. I did not . So either it got killed or someone else got him.

I suggest not letting them roam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats