Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2023, 09:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 714,883 times

Advertisements

Just curious if this classifies as insurance fraud. Company I took it was was one of my insurances preferred spots to take it into for an estimate. Took them about a month to repair front of the car (Just cosmetic. Their initial bill was 2.5x what the estimate was. I then noticed a small problem with it literally 5 minutes after I picked it up. Took it right back by and when they were pulling it into the shop they hit a parked vehicle. Now they are also billing that damage to insurance - is that correct or illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 03:02 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Just curious if this classifies as insurance fraud. Company I took it was was one of my insurances preferred spots to take it into for an estimate. Took them about a month to repair front of the car (Just cosmetic. Their initial bill was 2.5x what the estimate was. I then noticed a small problem with it literally 5 minutes after I picked it up. Took it right back by and when they were pulling it into the shop they hit a parked vehicle. Now they are also billing that damage to insurance - is that correct or illegal?
Whose insurance did they file a claim with, the insurance the shop probably (hopefully) carries or yours? It wouldn't be fraudulent to file with their own liability insurance. It is possible they also filed with yours on your behalf, but identified themselves as the at fault party. Unless you're privy to the claim paperwork how would you know the details?

Old 10-25-2023, 08:40 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Now they are also billing that damage to insurance - is that correct or illegal?
Did you think to ask the shop owner what's going on?

Did you think to call your claims adjuster about what happened?

Maybe you should do that.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:44 PM

45 posts, read 33,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

This....

But it's good that you're paying attention and questioning. Make sure you speak to your adjuster after you discuss with the shop owner.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:49 AM

1,768 posts, read 714,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Wasn't sure what to do about it hence the thread.
I can say they have 6100 total for damages on receipt when it was finished and my insurance paid out that amount. They then asked for the bill back right after they damaged it and new "estimate" got 3 days later is 8100. Maybe there is another reason but looks like those damages were just added to my existing claim. I was leaning towards talking to insurance first because I've been extremly displeased with this shop.

Old 10-30-2023, 08:07 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Wasn't sure what to do about it hence the thread.
I can say they have 6100 total for damages on receipt when it was finished and my insurance paid out that amount. They then asked for the bill back right after they damaged it and new "estimate" got 3 days later is 8100. Maybe there is another reason but looks like those damages were just added to my existing claim. I was leaning towards talking to insurance first because I've been extremly displeased with this shop.
Talk to the adjuster to be certain.

It may be that your insurance is still primary and they pay for the second accident but then recover from the insurer of the garage as they were at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance