Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:40 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
We should move to a system where one's employer is expected to pick out and pay for the car insurance,
Then the employers would have to raise the cost of goods and services, or lower pay to cover the cost, or a combination of both. The money has to come from somewhere.

You'd be the first one gripe about it when it hits you at the gas pump or grocery story or in your paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 03:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
We should move to a system where one's employer is expected to pick out and pay for the car insurance, and if you happen to not have a good job that provides good car insurance, then too bad for you.

I can't tell if this is satire or not. Having health insurance linked to your employer is one of the worst parts of our employment/healthcare system in the US. I've had to turn down perfectly good jobs after I learned how much the monthly contributions are or how not-so-great their coverage is.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I can't tell if this is satire or not. Having health insurance linked to your employer is one of the worst parts of our employment/healthcare system in the US. I've had to turn down perfectly good jobs after I learned how much the monthly contributions are or how not-so-great their coverage is.
I agree, there is a huge difference in what's offered by various employers, with most public agencies providing the best. I work for one and have great medical, dental and vision. Today 46% of all workers are at a small business, and they cannot afford much in the way of insurance for their employees. I did have a business for 16 years, and paid half the monthly premiums but it was an affordable plan for me, best for young, healthy employees with minimal claims.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:44 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
This is the part that doesn't make any sense. Why are car insurance companies allowed to use gender and age to calculate rates but not race? All are forms of discrimination but somehow one is okay and the other is not.

Don't worry, they do, when they account for zip code, income and credit score.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning;65570423[B
]Why do you say discriminate? If Race were involved then maybe[/b], but younger males have a higher risk on average than a married woman.

Just where is discrimination defined as being limited to race?

After all, there's age discrimination, gender discrimination, ethnic discrimination, religious discrimination, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
This is the part that doesn't make any sense. Why are car insurance companies allowed to use gender and age to calculate rates but not race? All are forms of discrimination but somehow one is okay and the other is not.
So you really haven't heard of the 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution, or Brown v. Board of Education, or any of the hundreds of court cases and pieces of legislation on discrimination on the ground of race in public accomodations?

Sheesh.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:06 AM

6,448 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just where is discrimination defined as being limited to race?

After all, there's age discrimination, gender discrimination, ethnic discrimination, religious discrimination, etc., etc., ad infinitum.
I know there are multiple forms of discrimination, but the OP specifically stated race, so thats what I replied to. Not sure what your point is to be honest. If you want to talk about other discrimination then maybe start a thread on it.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,131,876 times
FWIW, with respect to car insurance, there's always been "vehicle discrimination"...The driver/owner of the 400HP Corvette pays far more than the driver of the 100HP "econo box". The assumption, whether correct or not, is that the 400HP car has the ability to go much faster, therefore is a greater risk....even if it's driver simply wants something more stylish.

I've seen far more "econo box" drivers driving like maniacs, than I drive.....

Old 08-02-2023, 08:51 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
They aren't allowed to use gender in California. The answer is because that's what the law says. Discrimination based on gender is not legal in California for purposes of determining automobile insurance premiums. All forms of discrimination that are not illegal are okay.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
So you really haven't heard of the 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution, or Brown v. Board of Education, or any of the hundreds of court cases and pieces of legislation on discrimination on the ground of race in public accomodations?

Sheesh.
Actually, these amendments to the Constitution have no applicability to a private company selling car insurance. These amendments prohibit states and local government entities from discriminating. Since there is no state action involved they do not prohibit discrimination by any private entity.

What prohibits discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, or religion are laws like the Civil Rights Act (42 USCA 1983). There are also state laws that do the same thing and--in some cases--broaden the number of groups that cannot be discriminated against. I am not aware of any state or federal law that prohibits discrimination against young people.

When a legislature passes legislation, generally speaking, one of the first things it does is "classify". People are placed into groups for purposes of regulation. From a purely theoretical point of view, one could argue that a murder statute is discriminatory because it divides people who commit homicides into different groups and imposes greater or lesser punishment based upon that fact. Those who commit premeditated homicide receive the harshest penalties under the law. Those who kill by accident--manslaughter--receive the least significant penalties.

When we get outside of things like race, religion, national origin, or sex discrimination is generally permissible unless you can show some specific provision in a state law that makes it illegal. In the case of young people, there is plenty of statistical evidence that shows that young drivers are more likely to cause accidents than older drivers are because young drivers lack experience and judgment. Young people are not allowed to vote until they reach age 18 because society believes that only mature people should be able to elect our public officials. Those under 21 are not allowed to drink because we believe they lack the judgment to use a drug like alcohol.

Last edited by markg91359; 08-03-2023 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance