Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 08:16 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Her car insurance has been canceled. Been told if she could past a state driving test she could get back.
Quote:
Her doctor said she can't drive with Dementia without question. She has Bi-polar type 1 and she went into her insurance company and told them she has Dementia which you know they cancelled her insurance on the spot.
So...her doctor said "She can't drive." Her insurance company said "You're an uninsurable risk." Why are we trying to get her car insurance or driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Been told by who?

I find it unlikely that the DMV would let her in the door with that diagnosis.

In fact, if the DMV hasn't been notified of the diagnosis, there's probably a form for notifying the DMV so her license can be revoked.
At least in North Carolina the doctor can send something the the DMV requesting they come in for a test. We had to do that with an elderly family member. Not a fun situation. And of course he thinks everyone is out to get him and the family has no cojones so they didn't take his keys. He still drives a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times
She doesn't own a car anymore I own it.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Depends on the laws where you live, the degree of dementia, having possession of a valid driver's license, and having passed a driver's test. If the law exists in your area, after a certain age, a driver has to have their license renewed once a year and pass an optometry exam. Check out your local DMV and look for a list of health conditions you have to report.

If the patient's doctor deems them incapacitated doc will immediately order DMV to revoke the patient's D/L in perpetuity and the family is notified of this at the same time.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:55 PM

She is 70 years old and lives in Tennessee. Her doctor has said she cann't drive.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:38 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Quote:
She is 70 years old and lives in Tennessee. Her doctor has said she cann't drive.
At this point, her license is suspended and no, sorry, but she cannot get car insurance because of that.

It's very hard to have to give up driving and lose your car. She's going to fight not to have to do that and I get it. **** happens.

I just gave up my car but I can buy anything I need online and have it delivered or take a taxi to appointments etc. You can help her do the same thing.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:11 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Her car insurance has been canceled. Been told if she could past a state driving test she could get back.
Her insurability and driving status might be relevant as to why she was cancelled, such as multiple collisions or something but being told by a Doctor that you are incapable of driving safely is a strong indicator that a person is uninsurable, let alone should not be driving.

I dread this day. I am in Tennessee and nothing is walkable so a scooter is out of the question and I can very much relate.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:02 AM

880 posts, read 564,271 times
Quote:
She does drive very well for someone with Dementia. But it only takes one mistake for bad accident. Doctor found she has Dementia about three months ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. I know what this is like... my grandmother had it.

The reality is, it doesn't get better, it only gets worse... so it becomes a sliding scale. Yes, you can probably find an insurance company to insure her if they don't know any better; however, if you do get in an accident, the insurance company will likely be able to get out of it as they will generally have a legal clause against fraud and deceptive practices.

Unfortunately, this is life... and I'm not looking forward to it, because I am likely on track to get it myself since it runs in the family. Don't let her drive anymore... it's not worth the risk to someone else's life, for the perception of "freedom" in the last years of her life. You can always get an Uber, or a Lyft to provide her with transportation.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:21 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
She doesn't own a car anymore I own it.
And? Are you suggesting YOU, the car's owner would allow an uninsurable impaired driver to operate your car? Might want to double check the terms of your liability coverage. I'm having trouble understanding why you keep trying to weasel something out of this understandably sad, 4month long discussion OP. Who's in denial here?

Old 10-13-2022, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
And? Are you suggesting YOU, the car's owner would allow an uninsurable impaired driver to operate your car? Might want to double check the terms of your liability coverage. I'm having trouble understanding why you keep trying to weasel something out of this understandably sad, 4month long discussion OP. Who's in denial here?
No she doesn't drive anymore for my health and for the public. I can get insurance for myself only.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:28 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
No she doesn't drive anymore for my health and for the public. I can get insurance for myself only.
Unless something changed significantly for her over the months since this thread was created, I really don't understand why the question was asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance