Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2024, 08:43 AM

7,319 posts, read 9,394,942 times

Advertisements

Manitoba Metis Federation accuses Ontario group of indigenous identity fraud. https://www.thecanadianpressnews.ca/...4c31c1fcb.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 09:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 565,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Manitoba Metis Federation accuses Ontario group of indigenous identity fraud. https://www.thecanadianpressnews.ca/...4c31c1fcb.html
That's funny, I know a lot of Cree and Ojibwa people that accuse Metis here of the same thing. Alot of metis here are pretty much white. A lot of "native tribes" in Canada are more white than native these days. It's crazy how many people can get away with saying they are indigenous just because their grandma or great Grandma was native.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:52 AM

7,319 posts, read 9,394,942 times
My understanding always was that only the Metis in Manitoba and points west were Metis and I guess that's what the argument is about. I really don't know anything about the history of the groups east of Manitoba. This link sheds a little light in clear language on what this is about.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/l...ians-1.3537419

Old 05-15-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My understanding always was that only the Metis in Manitoba and points west were Metis and I guess that's what the argument is about. ]
Yes you are correct. The term is used rather losely back east, but the Metis are actually a specific recognized group out here on the prairies.

Old Today, 02:16 AM

Just when I thought the tide was starting to turn on this nonsense. ....

Quote:
Bill to mark transgender and two-spirit day passed by Manitoba legislature
There was acrimony in the Manitoba legislature Thursday as politicians passed a bill to designate March 31 an annual day to recognize two-spirit and transgender persons.

The bill to establish Two-Spirit and Transgender Day of Visibility passed a final vote with unanimous support of the governing New Democrats and most of the Opposition Progressive Conservatives in the chamber.

But four Progressive Conservatives voted against the bill, prompting Premier Wab Kinew to accuse them of engaging in “an act of hate.”
https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/2024/05...a-legislature/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada