Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 02:43 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,991 times

Advertisements

I could write that book.

I never went anywhere growing up. My family couldn't afford a vacation. I learned about the world from geography class.

Grew up and joined the navy. I got to live my elementary school geography class lessons in real time. By the time I hung up my uniform, my country count was 45. I saw the best & the worst of the world.

I also got a terminal case of wanderlust from my military travels.

Then I got an RV. 34 foot class A beast. I had to teach myself how to safely drive that thing. After a year, I took it on a 5,400+ mile trip from Maryland to Alaska. Took 4 weeks getting there. Then rolled around the Kenai Peninsula for 2.5 months. It was the road trip of a lifetime.

After a few mini mid life crisi, I ended up full time RV living. I kept that RV for 14 years. I full timed in it about 10 of those years. I did a lot of volunteer camp hosting in various state parks. I took a few paying gigs in national parks & national forests, when all I really wanted was the free campsite.

I put 40,00 miles on that rig. I drove it in 34 different states plus a few provinces. My family thought that perhaps an intervention was in order. Because who just lives here & there without roots or a fixed address?

I was never freer than when I was living on the road. Each new destination was its' own adventure. I met amazing, like minded folks. Campground kids were always polite and respectful. The mobile RV repair dude is your best friend and savior.

I may never camp or RV again in my lifetime. But I have a lifetime of travel memories to keep me content in my senior years.

Like Andy said, "Get busy living or get busy dying". I hope those of you reading this choose get busy living.

My rig in Solomons, MD

George Washington National Forest as camp host

Camped out on Cook Inlet, Alaska

Last edited by Monello; 12-07-2023 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 06:20 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That's a touching account.

It reminds me of when I drove from Houston, where we were living, to New Orleans with my then young daughter. We stopped at a diner, just off the I10 inside Louisiana. The young waitress got chatting to us, fascinated by our English accents, and asked where we were going.

On telling her, there was a wistful look in her eyes, and she said that she would love to go there. Unthinkingly I pointed to the I10, and said that it's only a few hours down the road. To her it must have seemed like it was a different world.

On reflection I found the encounter quite sad.
That reminds me of another passage:

"You going in that?"
"Sure."
"Where?"
"All over."
And then I saw what I was to see so many times on the journey - a look of longing. "Lord! I wish I could go."
"Don't you like it here?"
"Sure, it's all right, but I wish I could go."
"You don't even know where I'm going."
"I don't care. I'd like to go anywhere."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing