Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 09:43 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times

Advertisements

Is it worthwhile to get a canvas tent (like a Springbar) if I only summer camp from a car ? I like the idea of no rain fly but not sure if extra cost is worthwhile. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We used one for about 8 years when we did a lot of camping in the woods with the 3 kids, it was 8' x 10'. I just saw it in the garage the other day, we still have it, but it's been sitting for probably 20 years. We have a 25' travel trailer now, too old to lay on the ground with a thin pad.

Look for one that has a loop in the top center for hanging a lantern. The fabric may be better now, ours was not great in rain. When we lived in California and camped in the Sierras it was great. Here in Washington, in the Cascades, it was nice and dry . . .until someone touched the inside roof. That spot would start dripping.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We used one for about 8 years when we did a lot of camping in the woods with the 3 kids, it was 8' x 10'. I just saw it in the garage the other day, we still have it, but it's been sitting for probably 20 years. We have a 25' travel trailer now, too old to lay on the ground with a thin pad.

Look for one that has a loop in the top center for hanging a lantern. The fabric may be better now, ours was not great in rain. When we lived in California and camped in the Sierras it was great. Here in Washington, in the Cascades, it was nice and dry . . .until someone touched the inside roof. That spot would start dripping.

Wow, that memory took me back! Same thing happened with ours.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow, that memory took me back! Same thing happened with ours.
Fortunately the bottom of the tent is made of waterproof tarp material. One time we awoke to the feeling of being back in the 70s in a waterbed. It had rained all night and a puddle formed under us, over an inch deep.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Is it worthwhile to get a canvas tent (like a Springbar) if I only summer camp from a car ? I like the idea of no rain fly but not sure if extra cost is worthwhile. Thanks
IMO, a rain fly is always a good idea.

A drippy tent can be just miserable. AND, that extra top layer helps protect against damage from falling twigs / pine cones, and helps control sun damage.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
a $1299 canvas tent? For car camping? Do you have a truck with LOTS of space? Do you have plenty of time to set up and take down camp (hopefully you're not doing this every night, as I typically do)

Maybe I'm missing something (common sense?)

I've spent many hundreds of nights in $30 - $50 tents, One lasted me over 30 yrs of rough motorcycle, bicycling, and backpacking and high wind / mountain use.

Canvas tents are very heavy and tend to mold and are hard to set-up, maintain, waterproof, store...

Since I only have about30 more yrs of camping left in me, I will choose to use a $100 'replaceable' tent, such as a very light backpacking tent. (and it will have a rainfly, since I live and camp in the PNW(et).

Good luck with your choice, and happy camping.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:20 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I don't see much advantage to "car camping." Myself, I use an ultra light tent that I can take anywhere and set up in just a few minutes! Current tent (Agnes UL2) is now 10 years old and has had very heavy use with no issues. Getting ready to take it to Alaska in a few weeks!

Old 06-06-2023, 05:14 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
A canvas tent seems like overkill to me. While they are great for blocking the wind, they are heavy and take longer to setup. Ventilation can be a problem. If it rains, it will get really heavy. I think they are more suited to something like ice fishing/photography blind.

I went to the Springbar website and watched one of the setup videos. If it was windy, I don't see how one guy can set it up.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:25 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
A canvas tent seems like overkill to me. While they are great for blocking the wind, they are heavy and take longer to setup. Ventilation can be a problem. If it rains, it will get really heavy. I think they are more suited to something like ice fishing/photography blind.

I went to the Springbar website and watched one of the setup videos. If it was windy, I don't see how one guy can set it up.
Wet canvas stays that way a lot longer making it even heavier. Then you get to load a heap of wet heaviness into your car, and then set it up to make sure it's dry at home. It also molds. Nothin' more evocative than the scent of mildewed canvas on a camping trip !

Old 06-07-2023, 07:16 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times
The one I looked at was $599, The Kodiak's are pretty similar. The $100 tent I have now isnt bad but I cant stand up inside, set up a table and such so I figure if I have to buy another one anyway maybe I should research canvas. I also considered a tear drop camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
a $1299 canvas tent? For car camping? Do you have a truck with LOTS of space? Do you have plenty of time to set up and take down camp (hopefully you're not doing this every night, as I typically do)

Maybe I'm missing something (common sense?)

I've spent many hundreds of nights in $30 - $50 tents, One lasted me over 30 yrs of rough motorcycle, bicycling, and backpacking and high wind / mountain use.

Canvas tents are very heavy and tend to mold and are hard to set-up, maintain, waterproof, store...

Since I only have about30 more yrs of camping left in me, I will choose to use a $100 'replaceable' tent, such as a very light backpacking tent. (and it will have a rainfly, since I live and camp in the PNW(et).

Good luck with your choice, and happy camping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing