Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 05:21 PM

35 posts, read 11,900 times

Advertisements

CA is infamously known for not having an Albanian community, esp. to other Albanians.

I met a few here in the Bay who are like, "uh... CA has everything except Albanians." I find this interesting; why? CA has 6,000 Albanians, not even 0.02 pc of the state. NY and MI are like 0.5-1%, which doesn't sound like a lot and isn't really, but considering how small Albania is with 3 million people and a few million others in Europe, that is still way more.

CA attracts everyone mostly, and a lot of Albanians are in the media and arts scene: Regis Philbin, that girl from the Lopez show, Dua Lipa, Belushis... so why are there are only 5,000 in CA? I read San Francisco only has 200-300 Albanians. Wow! I've heard everything ethnic group pretty much exists enough to have a church or restaurant... but with the exception of Albanians, and I cannot think of any other group with such little presence but a big presence in another state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 09:07 AM

7,609 posts, read 3,968,393 times
Why does it matter?

Old 05-14-2024, 09:08 AM

35 posts, read 11,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Why does it matter?
Can you relax please?

Old 05-14-2024, 10:04 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,452,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
CA is infamously known for not having an Albanian community, ......
Really? Really?

Old 05-14-2024, 11:00 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,045,388 times
Why does it matter?

Old 05-14-2024, 12:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,676,679 times
Anecdotally speaking, while visiting Encinitas in northern San Diego County five years ago, my Uber driver was of Albanian and Italian descent. I live in Sacramento, which is home to a number of Balkan and Eastern European communities. However, I have yet to meet anyone of Albanian descent in my area.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:51 PM

32,004 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Anecdotally speaking, while visiting Encinitas in northern San Diego County five years ago, my Uber driver was of Albanian and Italian descent. I live in Sacramento, which is home to a number of Balkan and Eastern European communities. However, I have yet to meet anyone of Albanian descent in my area.
Very common ancestry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...banian_descent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbëreshë_people

Many Americans hear an Italian sounding last name and make automatic assumptions, however many what Americans consider "Italian-Americans" are actually of Albanian descent.

Jimmy Kimmel, Regis Philbin, Jim Belushi, John Belushi and Michael Belushi, Danny deVito, Victor H. Schiro...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nian_Americans

Generally in USA you find Albanian communities not far from or in same areas as Italian, which is natural when you understand nature of relationship between Italy and Albania.

Albanian presence in USA is comparatively small compared to other nationalities. Aside from above mentioned areas there is a population of Kosovar-Albanians in Riverside/San Bernardino district of California. These are Sunni-Muslim Albanians who came to USA largely as refugees from Kosovo after invasion ( and subsequent war) by Yugoslavia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_Americans#

Last edited by BugsyPal; Yesterday at 12:01 AM..

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

7,609 posts, read 3,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianContagion View Post
Can you relax please?
I am relaxed. You looking for an Albanian restaurant or something? Anyway, who knows? Don't immigrants often settle-down near their closest coast? Asians on the West Coast; Europeans on the East Coast?

Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

10,383 posts, read 6,949,226 times
I figured Calif had a decent representation of all the world's peoples. Including North Koreans. (It's not easy to flee that place...)

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,046,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I am relaxed. You looking for an Albanian restaurant or something? Anyway, who knows? Don't immigrants often settle-down near their closest coast? Asians on the West Coast; Europeans on the East Coast?
Armenians started off east
They said ********** cold crap and went to California in the 1800s. Now CA is the epicenter for Armenians.
Probably the only group to switch coastal preference.

California has the largest Armenian population in the United States, with more than half (245,774) of all Armenians in the country living there. The state with the second largest Armenian population is Massachusetts, with 28,595, followed by New York with 24,460.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California