Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:07 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
CARB says that trucks are to blame for “70 percent of the smog-causing pollution and 80 percent of carcinogenic diesel soot even though they number only 2 million among the 30 million registered vehicles in the state.”

Visalia keeps adding warehouses cause it apparently wants to be the inland empire north. Another example of foolish republican politicians ruining everything they touch. Article about Visalia below.

So much potential down there and it's being wasted on warehouses and megachurches. I get hanford and Chowchilla adding that stuff, but Visalia should have some standards.

https://thebusinessjournal.com/meet-...e-for-visalia/

Work from home article about Fresno

https://gvwire.com/2021/12/13/fresno...oastal-cities/

Bakersfield housing prices have caught up to Fresno per redfin. Last time that happened was probably around 2006. I wonder if all that positive press Bakersfield has gotten from big media is the reason for this surge in prices. Hah, I'm just semi-joking.

But Here's a recent nytimes articles on bako

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/11/u...kersfield.html
Unfortunately that is the only industry that central cali seems to be landing--those big warehouse/distribution facilities. And with Visalia just being too far from the bay and too far from LA to really be a semi remote destination for white collar jobs, they have to take what they can get.

It's why I always believed Fresno was/is the next big metro after Sacramento, to gain population and an upswing due to still being realistic in semi-remote workers if they still have to go to the office few times a week. SJ can be as quick as 2 hours away, SF in 3 (of course no traffic). Sac was the easy no brainer as an oasis for the bay where nearly all aras of the bay area from SF to SJ is 2 hours and sometimes less.

Kings county/tulare county just doesnt have that same convenience. NExt up obviously is Bako which mimics fresno in that same closeness to metropolitan LA if not even closer, but only until Lancaster/palmdale area has become so unaffordable that the next stop is Bako.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
SJ can be as quick as 2 hours away, SF in 3 (of course no traffic). Sac was the easy no brainer as an oasis for the bay where nearly all aras of the bay area from SF to SJ is 2 hours and sometimes less.
Some folks don't realize how close Sacramento and the Bay Area really are:
as compared to Fresno

Lets see what google maps is saying right now:

From Sacramento: to Vacaville (Genetech) 29 minutes
From Fresno: to Gilroy 2hrs, 2minutes

------------------

Sacramento to Oakland: 1hr, 14mintes
Fresno to Oakland: 2hrs, 44minutes

Sacramento to San Francisco: 1hr 22mins, round-up 5mins to 1hr 27mins
Fresno to San Francisco: 2hrs 55mins, round-up 5mins to 3 hours

Sacramento to San Jose: 1hr 51mins, round-up to 1hr 52mins
Fresno to San Jose: 2hrs 38mins, round-up to 2hrs 40mins

---------------

To Solano County:
Sacramento to Fairfield: 43 minutes
Fresno to Fairfield: 3 hours

To Napa County
Sacramento to Napa: 1hr.
Fresno to Napa: 3hrs, 20 minutes

To Contra Costa County
Sacramento to Concord: 1hr, 4 minutes
Fresno to Concord: 2hrs, 45 minutes

To Sonoma County
Sacramento to Sonoma: 1hr, 8minutes
Fresno to Sonoma: 3hrs, 28minutes

To Alameda County:
Sacramento to Albany: 1hr, 10mintes
Fresno to Fremont: 2hrs, 41 minutes

To Marin County
Sacramento to Novato: 1hr, 13minutes
Fresno to Novato: 3hrs, 14mintues

To San Mateo County
Sacramento to San Mateo: 1hr, 42minutes, round-up to 1hr, 45mintes
Fresno to San Mateo: 2hrs, 54minutes, round-up to 3 hours

-------------
The longer or further you have to travel the more likely you will have to stop and rest and the longer you will need to rest.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-10-2022 at 10:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 02:09 AM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
Fresno stretches that silicon valley pay check the farthest. Anything else would be out of state but then you have that pay cut and no beaches close by or top tier like Pismo beach or Santa Cruz beach.

- Austin is already quite unaffordable plus they have higher property taxes and no chance of universal healthcare in the near future. After that statewide power outage that was a definite no for me. I had a cousin who left Texas for Florida because of that power failure. I'll take the very limited power outages that seem to never effect me in California or most of the bay area / LA very much.

- Nashville is good price but I am a beach bum. Lets see Fresno is 2 hours away from the beach with options to take a charter bus for a daycation. Nashville is 7-9 hours away from the closes beach. I went to Myrtle Beach, SC and it just wasn't the same for me compared to Pismo/Santa Cruz. Heck the OC beaches / hotels are even closer and I love those ones.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Some folks don't realize how close Sacramento and the Bay Area really are:
as compared to Fresno

Lets see what google maps is saying right now:

From Sacramento: to Vacaville (Genetech) 29 minutes
From Fresno: to Gilroy 2hrs, 2minutes

------------------

Sacramento to Oakland: 1hr, 14mintes
Fresno to Oakland: 2hrs, 44minutes

Sacramento to San Francisco: 1hr 22mins, round-up 5mins to 1hr 27mins
Fresno to San Francisco: 2hrs 55mins, round-up 5mins to 3 hours

Sacramento to San Jose: 1hr 51mins, round-up to 1hr 52mins
Fresno to San Jose: 2hrs 38mins, round-up to 2hrs 40mins

---------------

To Solano County:
Sacramento to Fairfield: 43 minutes
Fresno to Fairfield: 3 hours

To Napa County
Sacramento to Napa: 1hr.
Fresno to Napa: 3hrs, 20 minutes

To Contra Costa County
Sacramento to Concord: 1hr, 4 minutes
Fresno to Concord: 2hrs, 45 minutes

To Sonoma County
Sacramento to Sonoma: 1hr, 8minutes
Fresno to Sonoma: 3hrs, 28minutes

To Alameda County:
Sacramento to Albany: 1hr, 10mintes
Fresno to Fremont: 2hrs, 41 minutes

To Marin County
Sacramento to Novato: 1hr, 13minutes
Fresno to Novato: 3hrs, 14mintues

To San Mateo County
Sacramento to San Mateo: 1hr, 42minutes, round-up to 1hr, 45mintes
Fresno to San Mateo: 2hrs, 54minutes, round-up to 3 hours

-------------
The longer or further you have to travel the more likely you will have to stop and rest and the longer you will need to rest.
Welcome to this thread. Wondering what took you so long

You are right with those facts. Only those from the south bay of San Jose are the most ideal candidates to pick Fresno over sac. The greater bay area is closer to Sac. But with Sac median prices definitely higher in desirable areas, and many dont even want to go to SAC, but to the more boujie suburbs in placer county and el dorado counties (roseville/rocklin/lincoln/loomis/GB/EDH/etc) or folsom, then the distance becomes further as you know full well that those places are at 30-40mins further from sac on a good-decent day when the 50/80/65 isnt crazy.

So again those from San Jose are almost right in the middle unless they really want to move IN SACRAMENTO or even closer--Elk Grove, then its a no brainer. But if someone is picking north fresno or clovis vs placer county/folsom/el dorado county, it might--and has swayed people.

Also the way to fresno is inferior and just the roads/driving/style and who you get stuck behind on those one lane road stretches from gilroy/152/until pacheco pass makes a difference.

going on google maps and putting fresno puts you in downtown fresno which most bay area transplants are not going to live around. More realistic is north fresno off herndon. San jose on google maps puts you in downtown SJ so that fine. That puts Fresno to SJ around 140-145 Miles You want Clovis then its 150~ miles.

If someone wanted to live around downtown Sac or better yet in Elk Grove, yea its a win for that. It's only 120 miles to around downtown sac and even less if Elk Grove ~110miles. I know I have been able to hit Elk Grove in 1hr and 45 minutes

But a lot of transplants I know want higher end suburbs so they go to roseville/folsom/etc.

So as an example, all those new communities in Folsom South of 50 (Bidwell/Whiterock) happens to also be ~145 miles, Same distance as north fresno/clovis from same san jose plot.

So this is more of a different perspective for those who might not realize that. Folsom is a superior city in a metropolitan area that is bigger and more to offer, but you clearly are paying more for it. Not everyone might care for all that with the higher price tag and be content with Fresno/Clovis at big savings. Although the way to fresno is inferior, it has less areas prone to traffic compared to those going to sac area as you are competing and sharing the roads (despite more ways to it) with other people in the north valley and contra costa and tri valley areas. Fresno to SJ and vice versa with the 2hr 40min estimate is usually worse case scenario and beginners driving on Pacheco pass and being stuck behind slow trucks on the 1 lane roads. I'm a delivery driver so I've driven both ways multiple times. And to reiterate most transplants are not moving to downtown fresno area which google maps puts when just putting fresno. It's 2hrs- 2:20 which is similar if one was to drive from SJ to folsom in the example above both in good traffic conditions and going 70-80mph. The road to fresno doesnt have that previlage to do that all the way from SJ (gilroy 152/los banos).

Old 01-12-2022, 05:25 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
If you don't think gentrification has hit everywhere in Fresno already, and painfully, you obviously haven't tried renting lately. Finding a 1-bedroom apartment under $1200/mo or even $1500 is practically impossible. Rent is on par with or higher than Austin TX where I moved from. I was last in Fresno in 2012 when I lived in Visalia, and it also looks a lot better now with more development and much better bus system, which is not a bad thing unlike the unaffordable housing.

Downtown doesn't have to be popping for gentrification to have happened. Neither San Jose nor Los Angeles has particularly active downtowns, but they're still unaffordable and displacing people with wealthier people. That's what gentrification is. I'm confused by the positive use of the term gentrification here. Gentrification is not something to be desired, because it means high prices and displacement. I think y'all mean something more like beautification or development, which may also be part of gentrification but are more of the positive side. Gentrification is already happening when prices are going up and people are having to leave. Y'all need to make sure High Speed Rail if it happens has strong anti-displacement provisions and doesn't make Fresno totally unaffordable to Bay Area levels, because the trend is unmistakably in that direction. It's true Fresno doesn't have much high-paying industry on its own, but if it becomes easy to work in the Bay Area from Fresno, that doesn't matter to prices.

There needs to be a lot of housing developed to keep demand from outpacing supply -- find a way to get more of the positives of good-looking, well-paying residential and business development, as well as more diversity of income of people, in the change to the character of an area, but without the negatives of massive displacement and unaffordability. Equitable development, not gentrification.
I'm not a fan of neighborhoods being gentrified but imo all downtowns need to be gentrified especially the struggling ones like DT Fresno. Really I don't even associate gentrification with a downtown because they're supposed to be the hot glistening go to place to work, live, and play in a city. Plus if downtown take's on the the majority of new developments, bars, restaurants, entertainment venues, etc. then in some cases, traditional neighborhoods will be less inclined to fall prey to gentrification and displacement.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Welcome to this thread. Wondering what took you so long

You are right with those facts. Only those from the south bay of San Jose are the most ideal candidates to pick Fresno over sac. The greater bay area is closer to Sac.
Yes you are right the Sacramento area is closer to the greater Bay Area than Fresno on average from 1.5 hours to 2.25 hours.

But lets focus on the parts Fresno is closest to such as Santa Clara County/Silicon Valley. Still yet though, Sacramento is closer to Silicon Valley than Fresno.

Travel Time to SILICON VALLEY

Sacramento to Mountain View: 1hr, 51 minutes
Fresno to Mountain View: 2hrs, 45 minutes

Sacramento to Palo Alto: 1hr, 50 minutes
Fresno to Palo Alto: 2hrs 43 minutes

Sacramento to Santa Clara: 1hr 51 minutes
Fresno to Santa Clara: 2hrs, 40 minutes

Sacramento to Cupertino: 1hr, 57 minutes
Fresno to Cupertino: 2hrs, 39 minutes

Sacramento to Milpitas: 1hr, 39 minutes
Fresno to Milpitas: 2hrs, 38 minutes

Sacramento to San Jose: 1hr 51 minutes
Fresno to San Jose: 2hrs 38 minutes

Sacramento to Los Gatos: 1hr, 57 minutes
Fresno to Los Gatos: 2hrs, 36 minutes

Sacramento also has had regular daily (7-10 trains a day) to Silicon Valley for the last 25-30 years.
The Capitol Corridor train stops at 2 different Santa Clara stations and a third, the downtown San Jose station. This train also connects with BART for which you could take BART to the North San Jose BART station or connect with BART going in the direction of the SF Peninsula and connect with CALTRAIN down towards Silicon Valley.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:06 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Yes you are right the Sacramento area is closer to the greater Bay Area than Fresno on average from 1.5 hours to 2.25 hours.

But lets focus on the parts Fresno is closest to such as Santa Clara County/Silicon Valley. Still yet though, Sacramento is closer to Silicon Valley than Fresno.

Sacramento also has had regular daily (7-10 trains a day) to Silicon Valley for the last 25-30 years.
The Capitol Corridor train stops at 2 different Santa Clara stations and a third, the downtown San Jose station. This train also connects with BART for which you could take BART to the North San Jose BART station or connect with BART going in the direction of the SF Peninsula and connect with CALTRAIN down towards Silicon Valley.
What about Lothrop/Manteca? I expect this area to grow a lot from the remote work exodus.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
What about Lothrop/Manteca? I expect this area to grow a lot from the remote work exodus.
Already has, and the prices are expensive there already.

Mountain House--------Tracy------Manteca-------Lathrop

Only thing people avoid is Stockton because it seems to be gangland there. While Fresno has improved it's crime tremendously in the last decade under Police Chief--now mayor, Dyer. Stockton it seems just got worse. People just bypass Stockton and go further to Lodi then Elk Grove. Heck even Modesto seems to be picked over Stockton. When you start getting in that distance of Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, Sac. The order seems to be Sac, Fresno, Modesto, Stockton.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:07 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Already has, and the prices are expensive there already.

Mountain House--------Tracy------Manteca-------Lathrop

Only thing people avoid is Stockton because it seems to be gangland there. While Fresno has improved it's crime tremendously in the last decade under Police Chief--now mayor, Dyer. Stockton it seems just got worse. People just bypass Stockton and go further to Lodi then Elk Grove. Heck even Modesto seems to be picked over Stockton. When you start getting in that distance of Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, Sac. The order seems to be Sac, Fresno, Modesto, Stockton.

Stockton's Downtown has a lot of charming historic architecture but there has not been any incentives to gentrify it. Tracey could attract a more upscale demographic but lacks the amenities.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:

your still plotting from the default fresno location on google maps is smack in downtown and least desirable areas by those moving in?

above is all correct but just giving readers more realistic as mentioned in previous post.

a lot of families want to go to placer county/folsom/ED county which puts distance/time very similar to not the default frenso plot on google maps, but the more realistic areas of where potential fresno residents go which is north fresno/north clovis. But again--im agreeing with you, those who simply want to live IN city of SAC or even closer to the bay--- Elk Grove, its a clear win for sac metro.

Then the cherry on top of having actual transportation there as you mentioned.

Only thing fresno has or had--not sure anymore, is greyhound type bus.

https://www.zillow.com/community/arb...67256569_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...18800221_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...18801721_zpid/

vs

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...94691465_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...58536609_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...17593249_zpid/

I mean if you can afford the $200K difference then there is no argument a high end suburb of both metro areas of sac or fresno, that the one in sac wins. BUT not everybody can nor wants/needs some of the extra stuff sac metro has. So im just saving a good alternative option is fresno metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California