Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:06 AM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times

Advertisements

We are looking at all of the major and mid size Canadian cities for a potential northward migration. We are native Floridians in our mid 30's with 2 young children (1 & 3). I work in Finance/Accounting and my wife works in healthcare.

Over the past 12 years we have moved from FL -> UT -> CO -> TN -> Upstate NY -> UT so have a fairly good idea of what we like.

Based upon size/Cost of living Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are pretty much out; leaving all of the tier 2/3 city options. Our exposure to various climates have left us wanting a dry (low humidity) climate, access to mountains, change of season, minimal rain, and lots of sunshine. We'd prefer a small to mid size city with plenty of jobs/diverse economy and a relatively low Cost of living. Work/life balance is important so having summer & winter access to Lake Lousie, Banff, Jasper would be attractive.

Could anyone provide a summary of Calgary culture? Is Calgary that much different than greater Canada or the region? Our only exposure to Canadian culture is the snowbirds coming to Florida and the 5-6 times we drove from NY to visit Montreal (obviously Alberta will be different than Quebec).

Is Calgary a good place to raise a family? Is there a large ghetto/urban area? How about crime is it safe to roam the majority of the city during the day and weekend nights without fearing robbery? How is the homeless population and is the city clean? Is there a large drug addiction crisis to opiates and/or meth?

Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated! Edmonton and Winnipeg would be possible other options.. How about smaller cities like Red Deer, Kelowna, and Kamloops ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 07:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
I’m going to assume you have immigration already worked out otherwise it’s just a thought exercise.

I’m also assuming that long bitterly cold winters are ok as well. Note the rainfall in the summer.

There are areas of higher crime, and right now with the low oil prices Alberta isn’t doing that well compared to some years past. Drug addiction is a problem in Calgary as in other cities.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:26 PM

Thx Mark! I'm confident based upon our education + professional experience + industry we should be able to get through the immigration process. I'm less concerned with that and am in no particular rush but more concerned with trying to target a specific area of Canada.

I have noticed that once you get passed the top 1 to 2 cities in a territory that the population falls quickly. In Alberta you go from Calgary 1.2M to Edmonton 1.0M down to red deer which is 100k. BC has a similar falloff... So it's a struggle to find a metro areas < 500k people but greater than 100k.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:46 PM
Mif

1 posts, read 2,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I have noticed that once you get passed the top 1 to 2 cities in a territory that the population falls quickly. In Alberta you go from Calgary 1.2M to Edmonton 1.0M down to red deer which is 100k. BC has a similar falloff... So it's a struggle to find a metro areas < 500k people but greater than 100k.
Don't forget about Lethbridge, which has just surpassed Red Deer in population, according to the last census.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times
Calgary is safe, sunny, dry with the occasional chinook to break up the winter. We live "inner city" and our kids go to inner city public schools. We don't feel unsafe but it is a city, so crime will happen. The key to Calgary living is to really enjoy outdoor activities both summer and winter, which seems to fit your criteria. Alberta is the most conservative province politically. Our experience with the healthcare system has been positive with one surgery required after multiple MRI's. No issue scheduling, healthcare staff were top notch. I still find it weird not having to stop at reception to pay. Family doctor, dentist, orthodontist, vet, all top notch and comparable to what we had in the US.

I would not move to Edmonton or Winnipeg if you paid me vast sums and neither fit your criteria anyway. I know nothing about Red Deer or the other smaller towns but I would assume similar lifestyle to Calgary, cheaper cost of living, less amenities.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
OP: But WHY? My goodness, you've been living (and presumably working too) in Florida, Utah, Colorado??
You mentioned that you like mountains. What didn't you like about Colorado, for example? Also considering a fairly affordable cost of living in CO / UT.

Why do you want to go North, to long and frigid Canadian winters? What's attracting you? Maybe more job opportunities (even if Canadian personal income taxes are higher and wages smaller than in the U.S.)? Or more controlled healthcare costs maybe?

I did exactly the opposite of what you're trying to do (Montreal => Waterloo, ON => Colorado). I never regret my decision (love mountains, dry climate, more balanced seasons / milder and non-monotonous winters, the interesting mix with Latino infusion from the South, lower cost of living, warmer people and getting a lively feeling to my daily existence, insurance mafia less present, higher wages, more diversity etc).

My humble and uninterested recommendation: don't do it. I've also got to meet folks in Greater Toronto Area who have moved from Alberta or more specifically Calgary area, because they didn't like it (their main reason being: "weather unpredictable, too sudden changes, chinooks etc").

Old 09-11-2020, 01:02 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
My humble and uninterested recommendation: don't do it. I've also got to meet folks in Greater Toronto Area who have moved from Alberta or more specifically Calgary area, because they didn't like it (their main reason being: "weather unpredictable, too sudden changes, chinooks etc").
Sure, and there are those who move from Toronto to Calgary too. My ex-wife and I did. I liked the fact that the climate was drier (southern Ontario can be unbearably hot and humid in summer), and the fact that Calgary had chinooks in winter (warm winds that provide respite from subzero temps, which no Albertan ever complains about), which are most welcome. Calgary does not have a "long and frigid" winter, it has a four-season climate, and summers were long enough that we could grow great crops of tomatoes and peppers in our backyard garden. Except for the humidity, we didn't find Calgary to be different from Toronto--except Calgary is farther north, and thus the sun sets later in summer, and so we could get in 18 holes of golf after work then.

Most interestingly, my ex-wife, who came from to Canada from Colorado, found Calgary to be much like Denver: a similar climate, close to the mountains that she loved, and with many of the arts and cultural opportunities that she enjoyed. To her, as a Coloradan, Calgary might as well have been "Denver North," the difference in everything was that negligible. All Calgary didn't have was her beloved Denver Broncos, but she grew to love the Calgary Stampeders, and we could get the "NFL Sunday Ticket" cable package, so she could follow her Broncos all season long.

The OP hasn't really given a reason why he or she wants to move to Calgary. I presume that there is one, but it also seems to me that the OP's mind is made up, and isn't going to be changed. OP, as one who lives in Alberta, I'd be happy to answer your questions as best I can. I've lived in three Alberta cities, in all seasons.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:38 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We are looking at all of the major and mid size Canadian cities for a potential northward migration. We are native Floridians in our mid 30's with 2 young children (1 & 3). I work in Finance/Accounting and my wife works in healthcare.

Over the past 12 years we have moved from FL -> UT -> CO -> TN -> Upstate NY -> UT so have a fairly good idea of what we like.

Based upon size/Cost of living Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are pretty much out; leaving all of the tier 2/3 city options. Our exposure to various climates have left us wanting a dry (low humidity) climate, access to mountains, change of season, minimal rain, and lots of sunshine. We'd prefer a small to mid size city with plenty of jobs/diverse economy and a relatively low Cost of living. Work/life balance is important so having summer & winter access to Lake Lousie, Banff, Jasper would be attractive.

Could anyone provide a summary of Calgary culture? Is Calgary that much different than greater Canada or the region? Our only exposure to Canadian culture is the snowbirds coming to Florida and the 5-6 times we drove from NY to visit Montreal (obviously Alberta will be different than Quebec).

Is Calgary a good place to raise a family? Is there a large ghetto/urban area? How about crime is it safe to roam the majority of the city during the day and weekend nights without fearing robbery? How is the homeless population and is the city clean? Is there a large drug addiction crisis to opiates and/or meth?

Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated! Edmonton and Winnipeg would be possible other options.. How about smaller cities like Red Deer, Kelowna, and Kamloops ?
I am surprised to be reading this from you @SWFL_Native. You are always so high on Utah life! I think a trip to Calgary and western Canada are very much in order before giving this much more thought. A Detroit-based Canadian-American friend of mine summed up Canadian social problems best when he said this: Canada and the United States have largely the same social problems, but they're just typically more magnified in the States. Having grown up in western Canada, I couldn't agree more. For the most part, I have zero aspirations to return to Canada just for the sake of being in Canada. It's not particularly different, and I just find that there are too many drawbacks to warrant moving back without a fantastic opportunity. However, I don't have significant family ties to anyone in Canada anymore.

Calgary, Alberta, and western Canada are generally more conservative than the rest of Canada. The atmosphere isn't much different from the Salt Lake City area, although I always got the feeling that Salt Lake City proper was significantly more liberal-progressive than anywhere in the Calgary area. Calgary, like almost all large American and Canadian cities, has its higher crime and blighted areas. However, Calgary is a fairly newly developed city, so you don't have the de-industrialization that you have in Ontario and the eastern United States. I agree with the assessment that Calgary bears a lot of resemblances to Denver, but Denver is way more progressive and feels more cosmopolitan.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I am surprised to be reading this from you @SWFL_Native. You are always so high on Utah life! I think a trip to Calgary and western Canada are very much in order before giving this much more thought. A Detroit-based Canadian-American friend of mine summed up Canadian social problems best when he said this: Canada and the United States have largely the same social problems, but they're just typically more magnified in the States. Having grown up in western Canada, I couldn't agree more. For the most part, I have zero aspirations to return to Canada just for the sake of being in Canada. It's not particularly different, and I just find that there are too many drawbacks to warrant moving back without a fantastic opportunity. However, I don't have significant family ties to anyone in Canada anymore.

Calgary, Alberta, and western Canada are generally more conservative than the rest of Canada. The atmosphere isn't much different from the Salt Lake City area, although I always got the feeling that Salt Lake City proper was significantly more liberal-progressive than anywhere in the Calgary area. Calgary, like almost all large American and Canadian cities, has its higher crime and blighted areas. However, Calgary is a fairly newly developed city, so you don't have the de-industrialization that you have in Ontario and the eastern United States. I agree with the assessment that Calgary bears a lot of resemblances to Denver, but Denver is way more progressive and feels more cosmopolitan.

We still like Utah and SLC metro but I see things changing very quickly and not for the better (IMO). Posters in this thread have mentioned diversity and progressiveness as a + but I read into it as the opposite and it makes me more interested in Calgary. I'd prefer to not get into politics/religion/etc but I think in general what is being described here would suit us quite well.

I also think an extended trip up through Glacier National Park and into Calgrary would be a great idea for a road trip next summer assuming everything normalizes.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Sure, and there are those who move from Toronto to Calgary too. My ex-wife and I did. I liked the fact that the climate was drier (southern Ontario can be unbearably hot and humid in summer), and the fact that Calgary had chinooks in winter (warm winds that provide respite from subzero temps, which no Albertan ever complains about), which are most welcome. Calgary does not have a "long and frigid" winter, it has a four-season climate, and summers were long enough that we could grow great crops of tomatoes and peppers in our backyard garden. Except for the humidity, we didn't find Calgary to be different from Toronto--except Calgary is farther north, and thus the sun sets later in summer, and so we could get in 18 holes of golf after work then.

Most interestingly, my ex-wife, who came from to Canada from Colorado, found Calgary to be much like Denver: a similar climate, close to the mountains that she loved, and with many of the arts and cultural opportunities that she enjoyed. To her, as a Coloradan, Calgary might as well have been "Denver North," the difference in everything was that negligible. All Calgary didn't have was her beloved Denver Broncos, but she grew to love the Calgary Stampeders, and we could get the "NFL Sunday Ticket" cable package, so she could follow her Broncos all season long.

The OP hasn't really given a reason why he or she wants to move to Calgary. I presume that there is one, but it also seems to me that the OP's mind is made up, and isn't going to be changed. OP, as one who lives in Alberta, I'd be happy to answer your questions as best I can. I've lived in three Alberta cities, in all seasons.

Thank you this was very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary