Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:51 PM

803 posts, read 441,022 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I have been recruited to be a dealer for Amsoil. I heard its a MLM but it has a better reputation than most I saw. Would it be a mistake to become a dealer for Amsoil? The recruiters said I could make good money selling Amsoil but I am doubtful. They think it could be a good way to get sales experience even if I dont make much.Personally I believe its prolly a scam. What do yall think?Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 03-11-2024 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,704,810 times
Very few people are changing their own oil these days, I do but only on my 1974 Nova. Our newer vehicles get done at a dealer or repair shop. Those shops all have contracts with companies that they buy their oil from. As a dealer for Amsoil you will depend on being able to get companies to change from their current provider of motor oil and the other Amsoil products. You could try selling their hydraulic fluids to manufacturers of heavy equipment and big contractors but now you are talking about big contracts and it would be hard for a new one-person dealer to compete with long established, well funded companies.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,814 posts, read 58,368,761 times
Most amsoil dealers are only doing it to get their personal discounts and buy for friends. Worth it to me, since I maintain over 50 vehicles and I'm near an amsoil distribution center.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:39 PM

19,912 posts, read 22,848,378 times
Generally I'd steer clear of MLM business models and Amsoil shares a lot of traits with them. I'm not knocking the product, because frankly I don't use them and I don't care, but I have looked at the 'business model' and passed on 1 or 2 requests to finance businesses using Amsoil as a primary product.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:46 PM

14,976 posts, read 9,890,989 times
Amsoil is fine as a tertiary product for your business, especially if your into automotive, fleet or transportation business... where you can demonstrate the products effectiveness with hard, visual, provable facts.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:08 PM

10,924 posts, read 4,668,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Hi everybody, I have been recruited to be a dealer for Amsoil. I heard its a MLM but it has a better reputation than most I saw. Would it be a mistake to become a dealer for Amsoil? The recruiters said I could make good money selling Amsoil but I am doubtful. They think it could be a good way to get sales experience even if I dont make much.Personally I believe its prolly a scam. What do yall think?Thanks in advance.

mee too, albeit 30 years ago. I have since dropped 20 years ago. I never sold any to anyone so the annual savings of what I did use was slightly better than the dealer fee.

someone got $$, it just was not me.

however, this is the future and a lot has happened since then....M1 makes the correct weights oil with the correct added goo to put in motorcycles - amsoil was a decade late to that game, and EVERYONE makes a 0-something, 5-something, 10-something, 15-, 20- etc in synthetic.

In the age of the OLM and dealer free service its outta my hands for the first year or so and then after 50-60K I goto 5K changes and tire rotations, REGARDLESS of use. a quarter mil on the clock is not new to me.

That all being said, I only run the boat - a 1997 chevy v8 - on the marine oil simply because of the TBN (which may or maynot be matched nowadays) and the fact that I put so few engine hours on it and store indoors, I change the oil every 2 years. since it is fresh water cooled, Im not getting any nasty things chewing on my small block. So, how do you plan on doing this? You only make money if you get people under you and in the age when no one changes their OWN oil, and everyone makes a competing product. I dont think it is a viable biz, and its OLD chief competitor - royal purple - is on walmart shelves.

rule of thumb: MLM, be it keto drugs, amsoil, amways etc, only work if YOU do not sell but rather manage those that do. consider wisely.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:14 AM

20,238 posts, read 9,152,864 times
there's no money in it.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:25 PM

803 posts, read 441,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
there's no money in it.
how come there is no money in it, skeddy?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:22 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,129,220 times
Quote:
Personally I believe its prolly a scam. What do yall think?
I'll chime in now that there are some answers.

I initially read this as "Am-Soil", thinking it was selling compost or growing medium to farmers/nursery businesses. You didn't specify the actual product in the OP so I had no idea.

I just looked at the AMSOIL website and as a consumer was instantly turned off. All these 'rewards' and programs, and various offers for tools and extra add-ons. Personally I want simplicity in my life. I own two vehicles and don't bother with doing oil changes myself. I used to, but not anymore - not cost effective for me.

I quickly looked up one of my vehicles on the AMSOIL website and the cost of oil and filter ranges from $81-115 (plus shipping?) if I want to do the work myself. My local dealer charges under $50 with labor and it's done in one hour and disposed/recycled.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,814 posts, read 58,368,761 times
Quote:
how come there is no money in it, skeddy?
Look at the trends...
1) longer oil change intervals (from 3,000 - 20,000 = far fewer changes)
2) fewer people doing their own service
3) corporate service shops get promotions and may be owned by Amsoil competitors
4) many more fully synthetic manf and outlets (including Walmart, Sam's, Costco)
5) increased regulations
6) fewer ICE vehicles.....

Less need for Amsoil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business