Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 06:31 AM

712 posts, read 393,820 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I am wanting to start to a Christian financial literacy company which would basically be like Dave Ramsey's outfit for the new generations. I dont know if it should for-profit or non-profit because Dave Ramsey's company got into trouble for alledgely discrimination and I have heard that I would have more freedom to run my operation according to Christian values if it was a ministry and not a profit-generating business.So do yall think it should be for-profit or non-profit?I know yall are not professionals but I dont have the money to hire a lawyer right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 06:52 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Start your "financial literacy" be reading about Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code:

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...-organizations

See if your proposed "ministry" would qualify to be tax-exempt.

Question: Are you going to provide your services for free or will you expect to be paid a fee or collect revenue of any kind?

Old 12-12-2023, 07:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
There are quite a few Christian financial literacy programs already out there. What are you thinking of doing?

Old 12-12-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Start your "financial literacy" be reading about Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code:

Question: Are you going to provide your services for free or will you expect to be paid a fee or collect revenue of any kind?
The ministry would charge money for services and we will take fees and collect donations The reason why I dont want to be for profit is because the Bible says preachers cant profit from preaching

Old 12-12-2023, 07:28 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
If your "Christian" tenets condemn usury as a capital offense (Ezekiel 18:13 KJV), then your advice will have to be "don't contract with usurers for interest". That means no interest bearing bank accounts, stock accounts, nor mortgages and loans.

https://www.newsreview.com/sacrament...ntent?oid=7610
Historians trace the practice of usury back approximately 3,500 years, and for the vast majority of that time, it has been repeatedly condemned, scorned and prohibited for moral, ethical, religious and economic reasons. Since biblical times onward, lending money for profit has been essentially forbidden by the tenets of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism, as well as other religions worldwide.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 12-12-2023 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-12-2023, 07:32 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
https://www.conservapedia.com/Usury
Because of this Biblical condemnation, Christians were forbidden to lend money for interest for centuries. In the Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno places usurers in the seventh circle of Hell. In Renaissance society, the only people allowed to charge interest were Jews, which often led to resentment as the Jews were enriched by their shrewd financial activity [and disregard for the ban on usury]. However, Christian thinking on this subject has changed [under the influence of usurers perhaps], and almost all Christians now either lend their money for interest, or have an account in a bank which does it for them. The last Christian denomination to remove the ban on usury was the Roman Catholic Church, in 1918.
Thus all Christian denominations have ceased their prohibitions on USURY, and have capitulated to evil that rules this planet.
Good luck with your ministry.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
There are quite a few Christian financial literacy programs already out there. What are you thinking of doing?
I want to start a church of Christ money management ministry.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 12-12-2023 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-12-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Start your "financial literacy" be reading about Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code:its

I talked to my friend at church who works in the non-profit sector and she suggested having my money management ministry be incorporated as a church and not a non profit because its a lot less red tape.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I want to start a church of Christ financial stewardship ministry
Most have a book, a workbook, small group studies, forms to fill in, leader's guides, real life examples based on Biblical principles. Do you have any of that put together yet?

You really need to work out a full business plan that covers every aspect of this ministry to figure out how to get from idea to starting it up. Then decide if it's something you can do.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
https://www.conservapedia.com/Usury
Because of this Biblical condemnation, Christians were forbidden to lend money for interest for centuries. In the Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno places usurers in the seventh circle of Hell. In Renaissance society, the only people allowed to charge interest were Jews, which often led to resentment as the Jews were enriched by their shrewd financial activity [and disregard for the ban on usury]. However, Christian thinking on this subject has changed [under the influence of usurers perhaps], and almost all Christians now either lend their money for interest, or have an account in a bank which does it for them. The last Christian denomination to remove the ban on usury was the Roman Catholic Church, in 1918.
Thus all Christian denominations have ceased their prohibitions on USURY, and have capitulated to evil that rules this planet.
Good luck with your ministry.
I will not teach that usury is sinful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business