Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Thank you for your very informative reply.

WOW! I had zero idea about any of this. What a terrible shame. It definitely doesn't sound like the BT, VT I know and love. I remember hearing about the murder of Michelle Gardner-Quinn (I believe that was her name) in 2006 and I was completely stunned. We just didn't have to worry about stuff like that at the time. Granted, we'd always make sure to walk home from the bars late at night in groups, but inevitably there would be those times you wound up alone in the dark. Again, abduction and murder just wasn't even on our radars up there.

Burlington was such a lovely, special place for me and so many others. The residents and students deserve so much better.

P.S.
What a shame about the mall situation! I think the last time I went up for a visit, the mall had definitely been torn down and there were big signs showing what the developer planned to do with the space (retail/restaurants/condos, the usual). However, it just sits vacant now?

I thought I saw some sort of video on Facebook saying the old Macy's there had turned into the new high school or something, so I assumed all was good with the space and it had been transformed at this point.
Well, things do change and it was probably inevitable that some of bigger city stuff would make it here. Unless you live here, you might not see it. It's been a slow creep.
We do have drug issues here and I think that drives alot of the problems - and not just in B'ton.
The mall project is still stalled although I hear there is some new negotiated agreement to move forward. At this point, it's become a bit of a joke. But yes, the old Macy's space is being used by the high school. Macy's used to be the best place to shop around here

I still suggest anyone wanting to check things out to come see for themselves. It waxes and wanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 05:18 PM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, things do change and it was probably inevitable that some of bigger city stuff would make it here. Unless you live here, you might not see it. It's been a slow creep.
We do have drug issues here and I think that drives alot of the problems - and not just in B'ton.
The mall project is still stalled although I hear there is some new negotiated agreement to move forward. At this point, it's become a bit of a joke. But yes, the old Macy's space is being used by the high school. Macy's used to be the best place to shop around here

I still suggest anyone wanting to check things out to come see for themselves. It waxes and wanes.
I will definitely be up again soon! I was supposed to do a girls’ weekend with friends last September, but decided to put it off due to Covid. Next time we venture up I am really hoping to stay at Hotel Vermont, as we went to Hen of the Wood and the Juniper Bar outside patio for drinks last time we were there and absolutely loved it! Such a beautiful hotel!
PS I chuckled at your comment about the UVM kids in pajamas and slippers because funny enough when I first got to UVM in 1996, I was a total hippy who followed Phish and wore tye-dye. By the end, I was dressing up in clothes from Echo on Church St every day and hoping to land a good job in corporate America. There were a lot of kids with money up there, so it made me want to keep up with the Jones’s. I’m talking 19 year olds driving around in Land Rovers and wearing Cartier Tank watches to the bars.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:06 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I will definitely be up again soon! I was supposed to do a girls’ weekend with friends last September, but decided to put it off due to Covid. Next time we venture up I am really hoping to stay at Hotel Vermont, as we went to Hen of the Wood and the Juniper Bar outside patio for drinks last time we were there and absolutely loved it! Such a beautiful hotel!
PS I chuckled at your comment about the UVM kids in pajamas and slippers because funny enough when I first got to UVM in 1996, I was a total hippy who followed Phish and wore tye-dye. By the end, I was dressing up in clothes from Echo on Church St every day and hoping to land a good job in corporate America. There were a lot of kids with money up there, so it made me want to keep up with the Jones’s. I’m talking 19 year olds driving around in Land Rovers and wearing Cartier Tank watches to the bars.

I do see some fancy vehicles at UVM but rarely see people dressed up. I think somewhere along the line 'comfortable' got confused with 'your pajamas.' And hey! I still wear tie dye, so I don't judge. All those kids will probably wind up working in corporate America anyway. who knows.

I hope when you next visit the things that might spoil a great day in B'ton will be cleared up. With winter, obviously everyone will look for the warmth of inside, somewhere.
I love Hotel Vermont and Hen of the Wood is superb. Have a friend who owns a waterfront condo directly adjacent to it - facing the lake so you can imagine the view - and they go to the back patio there frequently for an evening cocktail.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:55 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Mild bump. I’ll be there next month. Any other things to do or places to go? Or good restaurants?

Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2023, 03:25 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Mild bump. I’ll be there next month. Any other things to do or places to go? Or good restaurants?

Thanks!!
I've had to go to downtown Burlington once a week and will continue to throughout the summer for an assignment. IMHO it seems like things have stabilized downtown and not looking as bad as it did 2020/2021. There were still some crime issues through 2022, but I haven't felt unsafe or seen any tents, homeless, or garbage on the streets and it seems fairly clean and safe as of late. Someone else's mileage may vary but I have been going frequently every week. The hole in the ground finally has some crane and construction activity. The Lake Champlain waterfront is as beautiful as it has always been.

For things to do, I'd say rent a bike (or bring one) and ride the Burlington Bike Path along Lake Champlain up to the Causeway in Colchester. It's a fantastic ride with impressive lake and mountain views and some parts have the lake on both sides.

The downtown restaurants are touristy but that's not always a bad thing. Folinos pizza is good, also recommend Gaku Ramen. I haven't been yet but for elevated dining, Hen of the Wood comes highly recommended by many. I love Chicken Charlies in SB. Downtown Winooski has a few good pubs and restaurants and the riverfront there is a nice walk. Oakledge Park and North Beach Park are worth stopping at for lake views and recreation. It's a small city so, include some activity in the nearby Green Mountains and take a scenic drive out to Smugglers Notch or Stowe.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 364,885 times
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet.

There is the ECHO Center

https://vermont.com/activities/echo-...ake-champlain/

Old 06-29-2023, 09:20 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Interesting choices. I’ll check them out in about two weeks.

Right now I’m considering the Champlain Valley Dinner Train and the Spirit of Ethan Allen III on Lake Champlain. Has anyone done those? What were your impressions?

Old 06-29-2023, 09:44 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I was on the Spirit of Ethan Allen, but it was a long, long time ago. We enjoyed it and learned a lot of history.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Interesting choices. I’ll check them out in about two weeks.

Right now I’m considering the Champlain Valley Dinner Train and the Spirit of Ethan Allen III on Lake Champlain. Has anyone done those? What were your impressions?
Would definitely recommend the Spirit of Ethan Allen, very scenic cruise on beautiful Lake Champlain. There's a bar and lounge onboard and they narrate the scenery and history around the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT