Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,098 times

Advertisements

Similar to what Joe Moving suggested, you can also check into the Waterbury area...right off 89, might be able to find something in town or something larger/more rural just outside of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 PM

167 posts, read 246,955 times
OK so I'm reading this and am getting a little worried...
I am French-Canadian living in New Orleans and in the next couple of years I'd like to move my family closer to home (hence Burlington, VT). We make very little money (paying $750 for a decent 3 bedroom here! Could go as high as $1000, no more), we don't have a car and rely on bikes and buses. I guess we'd have to live close to downtown or in a neighborhood where things are close... Is there such a thing or I should just forget about it and stay in my ghetto N'awlins? lol

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
OK so I'm reading this and am getting a little worried...
I am French-Canadian living in New Orleans and in the next couple of years I'd like to move my family closer to home (hence Burlington, VT). We make very little money (paying $750 for a decent 3 bedroom here! Could go as high as $1000, no more), we don't have a car and rely on bikes and buses. I guess we'd have to live close to downtown or in a neighborhood where things are close... Is there such a thing or I should just forget about it and stay in my ghetto N'awlins? lol
Cost is/could be a concern for you. If you want to move north to be closer to family, don't move to Burlington. You will pay more for less in my opinion. Rents tend to be higher for less apartment and you will not have access to grocery stores that are affordable. The only option in the downtown area is the co-op, and you will go broke with a small income very fast. Depending on your family size and number of bedrooms you will need, rent is going to be your biggest concern. I'm sure you will want to live in a decent apartment? The averages for multibedrooms is going to be over $1000. If you want a three bedroom, expect to pay closer to $1500 in the Chittenden County area. You also may have to break down and start driving. Public transportation in Vermont is nothing like you will find in the rest of the country. In fact it's very limited with no service on some days and limited hours. Some people can manage to get around without cars, but they are typically single people. Driving will also give you the option to live in more affordable sections of the state.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 PM

Thx 68vette. I've done some researching on craigslist and there seem to be some affordable apartments out there (even downtown area) but smaller (2 bedrooms instead of 3, which we can do since we only have one child. The music room can wait hehe). We'll definitely start with a small place until I find a (good, I hope) job...

A lot of people think that the coop is expensive but it's like everything, you got to be wise about it and shop in season and sales. I shop at the coop here and always find great deals! But I also go to different grocery stores for different things... I'm sure there isn't a save-a-lot around hu? lol. We also buy frozen meat on bulk about once a month and it's a saver! Anything you know around that do that?

I never had a vehicle, don't even own a license but I guess we'll have to work on that! Also I've been trying to figure out where else we could move and really the only other options are NYC and Boston. And it's much further and not cheaper, so Burlington it is

Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 AM

Have you thought about just moving back over the border? I have read several of your other forum posts. It sounds like expenses are a concern for your family. I think if you try and fool the Canadian health system for insurance, you may find yourself in big trouble if you are caught. I think you really need to put a lot of thought into your decision with moving and expenses. It's is a well known fact that Vermont has one of the highest cost of living in the US. If living over the border is not an option, you should seriously consider the other side of the lake. The Plattsburgh NY area has a significantly lower cost of living and would be just as close to Canada.
I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to be careful with rental prices being cheaper, especially downtown. There are some good deals out there, but most of the the low prices are for a reason. Burlington is not a dangerous place compared to other cities. The problem with Burlington is it's a big collage town with housing that lacks proper upkeep. Cheaper prices in Burlington typically mean, it's not in desirable section of town, it's in an area with mostly collage students, or the apartment is in rough shape. It can also be a combination of all these. Do not go by pictures. Typically the landlords will take pictures of the best features. The only way to get an accurate description is to visit in person. Housing in the Burlington area is competitive. The nicer places at cheaper prices can be very competitive. We have one of the lowest housing stocks in the country and typically you will need to be here to get a decent place. My stepson just got a new place and it took about three months. Getting an apartment is very similar to getting a job. They interview, check references, etc. and then choose the best candidate.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Damn, it doesn't sound very appealing lol. Nope, can't live in Canada. As far as quality housing, let me tell you where we are living right now. New Orleans. 7th ward. Drugs, guns, cockroaches, mold, hurricanes. And great things of course. I do know that craigslist is not reliable, but when I said "cheap" rent I meant a $1100 600 feet square downtown apartment. It's not cheap and it's not big, but it seemed quite decent (to our low standards). To begin with anyway. Expenses are a concern, but it always is, and always will be, everywhere. I am glad that you are warning me but I'd rather hear about how to get where I'm going rather than how not to move there.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:55 AM

221 posts, read 346,023 times
My number one advice for you would be to buy a car(and get a license)...it doesn't have to be expensive(we got a 2001 jeep grand cherokee as soon as we landed, only 83,000 miles on it, hardly no rust, great condition, passed the score with flying colors for 5,500) and then find a cheaper apartment 15-30 minutes away from Burlington. The other option is to get something a little more expensive in Burlington and just ride bicycles like alot of people do. Price Chopper isn't a horrible store and they have some good sales at times and Hannaford has decent prices(compared to what I'm used to). I only really go to the coop when I need certain specific things they only have there.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
Damn, it doesn't sound very appealing lol. Nope, can't live in Canada. As far as quality housing, let me tell you where we are living right now. New Orleans. 7th ward. Drugs, guns, cockroaches, mold, hurricanes. And great things of course. I do know that craigslist is not reliable, but when I said "cheap" rent I meant a $1100 600 feet square downtown apartment. It's not cheap and it's not big, but it seemed quite decent (to our low standards). To begin with anyway. Expenses are a concern, but it always is, and always will be, everywhere. I am glad that you are warning me but I'd rather hear about how to get where I'm going rather than how not to move there.
I'm not discouraging you to move. You seem to have financial concerns and as someone who is already here, I'm trying to give you some advise. You are not going to have lots of better paying lobs to choose from when you get here. It's part of the problem rural states have. The NY side of the lake is much more affordable, especially if you are not wanting to get a vehicle. If you get a vehicle, this opens more options. You may think rent is the only high expense you will come across in the greater Burlington area, but it's not. Your electric, heat, food, etc is all going to be much higher than where you are right now.
Before you plan on moving anywhere, you need to get a job in that location. Moving, especially to Vermont without a job and having a family is not a wise decision. Once you have a job, then decide on where to live. If you end up in a minimum wage job, you won't be able to afford much. If you get a well paying job, then the doors are open.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Getting a well paying job would be hard to do, I have lots of experience in all kinds of jobs and am a hard worker but do not have special skills aside from managing a team, speaking French and such (nothing really outstanding, although I do plan on going back to school but have no idea what to do. I did 1 and a half year of translation in a university in Canada but Idk yet if it would be possible for me to finish and if it would be worth it).

Living in Plattsburgh is a good idea though, I hadn't thought of that, but how is the job market there?
One of the reasons to move to Burlington aside from being closer to family, is for my musician of a husband to maybe get a band together and/or get gigs. But it's probably something possible everywhere.

Anyway. Another shooting last night in the Great New Orleans. Right around the corner. Heard it. The guy, he's dead.

Thanks for helping me seeing clearer! I guess sometimes you really want something no matter what the consequences would be. We'd love to get a car but in NOLA the insurance is ridiculous. So we'll save and get something wherever we go.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Darky, would you consider St. Albans? Even closer to Montreal and a very cute old town. Smaller than Burlington, but more affordable. It would be better if you had a car...I have no idea what the public transportation system is like there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT