Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 10:48 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It would probably draw more interest from Canada than football. The fact that the majority of Buffalo's population gain have been 3rd world refugees probably would help also.

One of the first articles, he talked about building a separate stadium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Any international match would almost certainly be held at the new Bills stadium, not the potential new stadium for this planned minor league soccer team

I just looked up a list of 'friendlies' being held on US soil in 2024...Mexico is playing New Zealand at the Rose Bowl in September. That would probably be a lot of fun to attend...moreso even than an American game due to the passion of the Mexican supporters. I do kinda like the current American team, at least based on what I saw at the past World Cup...they have some interesting younger players. That said, I'm more tempted to infiltrate the Mexican fanbase at the Rose Bowl, hah
To the first part, any major sports event in the Buffalo area gets quite a few Canadians from the NFL, NHL(about 15% of Sabres season ticket holders/attendees also come from Canada) and in this case international Soccer.

@Matt, I agree that a US/Canada friendly(Soccer is actually the first organized sport I played growing up, believe it or not) would make sense in Buffalo for the reasons mentioned above. What would be interesting is for those that may have ties to both countries, to see where their allegiance would lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 11:52 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To the first part, any major sports event in the Buffalo area gets quite a few Canadians from the NFL, NHL(about 15% of Sabres season ticket holders/attendees also come from Canada) and in this case international Soccer.

@Matt, I agree that a US/Canada friendly(Soccer is actually the first organized sport I played growing up, believe it or not) would make sense in Buffalo for the reasons mentioned above. What would be interesting is for those that may have ties to both countries, to see where their allegiance would lie.
Hah, why would I not believe that soccer was your first organized sport? If you're under a certain age, that's a pretty common experience. I never got the impression that you were an octogenarian or anything

Old 04-10-2024, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 2,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

One thing with the friendlies, while the Bills stadium is a fine venue, I'm just not sure there's enough homegrown interest to fill it yet, so then we look at what teams we can draw and if we have the hotel capacity to hold them. I'm just not sure the numbers work out, similar to why we'd never host a superbowl even if we had a dome.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:37 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmosquitox View Post
One thing with the friendlies, while the Bills stadium is a fine venue, I'm just not sure there's enough homegrown interest to fill it yet, so then we look at what teams we can draw and if we have the hotel capacity to hold them. I'm just not sure the numbers work out, similar to why we'd never host a superbowl even if we had a dome.
I think the difference with a US/Canada friendly is that you would be able to get a good Canadian fan base within a short to reasonable drive to the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area