Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 07:26 AM

19 posts, read 6,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I love that you are such a supporter of Buffalo but how often do you actually go to the places you post about? Even before we moved - I hadn't been out to Walden Gallery in years when I would normally shop there at least once a month. It became unsafe be it the parking lot or the inside with gangs of kids roaming about and fighting.

My cousin lives in Cheektowaga and they've had more than a couple of migrants found on front lawns in the morning sleeping of a night of drinking. They are talking about moving. Another friend who lived near St Joe's hospital moved years ago.
Get a load of this guy afraid to leave his house. I've never been afraid anywhere in Cheektowaga. Stop being a coward. The Buffalo area is one of the safest in the entire nation ya nerd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 08:51 AM

3,591 posts, read 3,098,871 times
My SIL had a couple of younger contractor guys at her house in our North Buffalo yesterday, who were from Orchard Park, and they said my SIL was "lucky"" to get them because they weren't "as afraid" to come to Buffalo as other crew members who "didn't want to get shot or robbed."

She even pointed out to them that they would have many more job opportunities in the neighborhood if the other suburban contractors weren't going to serve the area, but even these guys deferred, basically saying that they really never wanted to come up here at all.

Understand, that our neighborhood is full of people, young children out playing, couples pushing baby strollers, etc. It's also a mixed neighborhood, of all incomes, classes, backgrounds, etc, and in high demand by renters and home owners with families. Lots of improvements being done on properties.

I have many other stories of suburban people reactively fearing the city, many who pass the fear onto their children or others who have had limited experiences in Buffalo. It's a knee-jerk reaction among so many suburbanites and nearby rural people (and I saw the same thing in Houston). I would say that 99% of the people I hear fearing or badmouthing the city don't live in the city limits, never lived in the city limits, or haven't lived in the city limits in decades.

I think that fear seems to be extending into Cheektowaga, as the city-adjacent side have many of the same attributes as nearby Buffalo. How long before Lancaster mothers are warning their children against socializing with Cheektowaga kids?

Old 02-05-2024, 11:19 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
My SIL had a couple of younger contractor guys at her house in our North Buffalo yesterday, who were from Orchard Park, and they said my SIL was "lucky"" to get them because they weren't "as afraid" to come to Buffalo as other crew members who "didn't want to get shot or robbed."

She even pointed out to them that they would have many more job opportunities in the neighborhood if the other suburban contractors weren't going to serve the area, but even these guys deferred, basically saying that they really never wanted to come up here at all.

Understand, that our neighborhood is full of people, young children out playing, couples pushing baby strollers, etc. It's also a mixed neighborhood, of all incomes, classes, backgrounds, etc, and in high demand by renters and home owners with families. Lots of improvements being done on properties.

I have many other stories of suburban people reactively fearing the city, many who pass the fear onto their children or others who have had limited experiences in Buffalo. It's a knee-jerk reaction among so many suburbanites and nearby rural people (and I saw the same thing in Houston). I would say that 99% of the people I hear fearing or badmouthing the city don't live in the city limits, never lived in the city limits, or haven't lived in the city limits in decades.

I think that fear seems to be extending into Cheektowaga, as the city-adjacent side have many of the same attributes as nearby Buffalo. How long before Lancaster mothers are warning their children against socializing with Cheektowaga kids?
Explored Buffalo over New Year's weekend, during an extended business trip to WNY. I was impressed by progress made down by the water, much needs to be done with infrastructure and streetscapes downtown and radiating from downtown, but I was shocked at the investment of recent years.

We took my aunt on a tour of some of our family roots in Buffalo. Ended up in Black Rock and over by Niagara Blvd. On the way back to E. Amherst we stopped at the Wegmans near Hertel, the place was mobbed with folks from every background under the sun. I was very pleased to see that, and how great the general area of Hertel looks east of there. Also stopped at a photography store on Elmwood which was worth the effort.

I'd live there, Black Rock and east of there off of Hertel. Good people, quiet streets, etc.

From there we went over to Century and around St. Aloysius church, stays quiet. Cheektowaga needs some investment and updating, but it brought back great memories. Buffalo continues to be a downright easy city and metro to get around in. Easy commutes on already-existing infrastructure.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:55 PM

275 posts, read 286,585 times
We moved in August of 2020 but have many friends / family in the area. None of talked about an increase in crime or anything negative (other than weather lol).
I lived there for 25+ years and never felt unsafe. Maybe we were just lucky? We were in the Cleve Hill district so close to Harlem Road.

Old Today, 07:24 PM

93,854 posts, read 124,582,792 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRIf3B2yAAE

Just to add, parts of Cheektowaga are also in the Depew, Lancaster and West Seneca school districts: https://tocny.org/services/residents/education/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area