Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM

65 posts, read 204,641 times

Advertisements

Hi, just thought of recommending this..because I was really excited when I read about this..I didnt know there was something so close by. On days when I don't want to drive down to Shea, it may save me time...though of course it may not be as grand as Shea.

Lancaster Opera House:

Cooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:36 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks2010 View Post
Hi, just thought of recommending this..because I was really excited when I read about this..I didnt know there was something so close by. On days when I don't want to drive down to Shea, it may save me time...though of course it may not be as grand as Shea.

Lancaster Opera House:

Cooks.
It looks like a nice alternative for those in the Eastern suburbs of Buffalo. I think villages with older movie theaters, should capitalize off of them and use them for events, the arts and for movies.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Ckthankgod, it is far more than an "old movie house". it is a unique full theatre with balcony seats which are not movable ( you cannot move a balcony) but a main floor of modern chairs which can. No matter where you sit, due to the rise on the stage toward the rear, you can see the performers. While they do show movies, it was intended as a performance theater and -- according to neighbors who have lived here generations -- it had vaudeville shows in "the old days". I was told it was used for many other uses during other periods -- like Red Cross during WWII (I can't verify that; I can see how it was used, esp. if for supplies)

There are shows that are matinee, evening, some where the tix are a bit more, only it pays for a dinner first, or one time, we went and had lovely pastries at an intermission! It is, totally unique.

Shows are excellent, diverse, much less in cost than "downtown". Plus, you can park -- free (north of the Town Hall on the side street is a large lot). You also are not hustled by vagrants or worse

It isn't just for the "eastern suburbs"; if you haven't been there, you need to go. It is a good price for a fun night out and you just need to see if it is a traveling production ( just in a smaller venue) or local talent. If you stick to the city, you will miss a wonderful gem of area theater.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Ckthankgod, it is far more than an "old movie house". it is a unique full theatre with balcony seats which are not movable ( you cannot move a balcony) but a main floor of modern chairs which can. No matter where you sit, due to the rise on the stage toward the rear, you can see the performers. While they do show movies, it was intended as a performance theater and -- according to neighbors who have lived here generations -- it had vaudeville shows in "the old days". I was told it was used for many other uses during other periods -- like Red Cross during WWII (I can't verify that; I can see how it was used, esp. if for supplies)

There are shows that are matinee, evening, some where the tix are a bit more, only it pays for a dinner first, or one time, we went and had lovely pastries at an intermission! It is, totally unique.

Shows are excellent, diverse, much less in cost than "downtown". Plus, you can park -- free (north of the Town Hall on the side street is a large lot). You also are not hustled by vagrants or worse

It isn't just for the "eastern suburbs"; if you haven't been there, you need to go. It is a good price for a fun night out and you just need to see if it is a traveling production ( just in a smaller venue) or local talent. If you stick to the city, you will miss a wonderful gem of area theater.
Wow! So, this place has a long and interesting history. I wonder if people even think about it as an alternative as much as they should? Looks like it is and has been going strong for a long time.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
It is wonderful. Also, it used to be available to be rented -- had a friend's daughter who got married there about 12 years back. It is a gem.

One bad thing -- checked the website and saw the renovations ( an addition to Town Hall is going in by the rear door) will stop the use of the elevator for a while ( it says to July 10th). It is a long climb to the Opera House on the second floor, since the exterior entrance in front is also a long flight.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I'll second that it is a great place to go for a show. I have seen a number of quality stage shows there over the years. It is a nice place, not too big which gives it some intamacy and no bad views of the stage.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:36 PM

I was looking for something else, when I came across this thread and this may be a hidden gem in terms of the arts: https://www.lancasteropera.org/

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...bn0c?entry=ttu

Old 03-27-2024, 04:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Nice of you to resurrect this 14 year old thread. I would not call The Lancaster Opera House an undiscovered gem. It has been there over a hundred years and is well known throughout the area.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Nice of you to resurrect this 14 year old thread. I would not call The Lancaster Opera House an undiscovered gem. It has been there over a hundred years and is well known throughout the area.
Are you upset about it? Have you been there before?

Old 03-28-2024, 12:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Why would I be upset? I have been there a couple of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area