Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times

Advertisements

I had forgotten that there is little to no traffic in this forum. Will I get into trouble if I re-post this in the main religion forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 10:03 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I had forgotten that there is little to no traffic in this forum. Will I get into trouble if I re-post this in the main religion forum?
if you prefer to have it in the religion and spirituality section instead, then you can ask the mods to move it

Old 05-24-2021, 07:45 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
There is Buddhism subforum for reason, I guess.

I can only say that, there are Four Noble Truths and The Eight-fold Path. What else is needed? Why seek someone's opinion on what Sukyamuni said? Go for the original.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Find somebody alive. Be careful that its not just a positive feedback loop an d that is is actually looking how consistent the sayings are with observation. But usually rational people can sort through the noise pretty quickly.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:50 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
There are penny a bunch worth of "alive" talkers. Or, book sellers. Or, presenters. Qui bono.

Unfortunately, there is one irreplaceable feature about true guru or mahatma or bodhisatva (and by that, I am referring to a type of a human being, not to specific faith. Some religions simply do not have proper terms). That feature is personal aura, energy, that magnetic force, touching disciples souls. Finding THAT person is surely beneficial. But, as goes it, if one is ready - master will find HIM. That is how the world machine operates. Otherwise, as OSHO said, after Jesus walked on sand, all you have left, is dead footprints in it, that disappear with few gusts of wind.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:04 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There are penny a bunch worth of "alive" talkers. Or, book sellers. Or, presenters. Qui bono.

Unfortunately, there is one irreplaceable feature about true guru or mahatma or bodhisatva (and by that, I am referring to a type of a human being, not to specific faith. Some religions simply do not have proper terms). That feature is personal aura, energy, that magnetic force, touching disciples souls. Finding THAT person is surely beneficial. But, as goes it, if one is ready - master will find HIM. That is how the world machine operates. Otherwise, as OSHO said, after Jesus walked on sand, all you have left, is dead footprints in it, that disappear with few gusts of wind.
Interesting quote.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

To me, "charisma" ... we have to be able to filter out "charisma".

Are we mature enough to do that. lmao ... right after we filter out ourselves ...

Old 10-07-2023, 07:35 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Oh yeah, good old Surya Das. He could make a mountain from a mole hill w/ one hand tied behind his back. There is only one step to enlightenment....sitting meditation.

Chanting could do it too, that's really the same as meditation, but it suits some people more. I like the way your whole body is into the chants vs just your mind during sitting meditation, but one is not better than the other. Most Zen centers use both, and they're the most highly disciplined of all the Buddhist lineages. You don't get there through good deeds or any sort of mumbo jumbo. Gotta put the time in on the cushion or chair.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:06 AM

27 posts, read 6,191 times
Except for wealthy people for whom karma yoga is critical, there really are only three steps to enlightenment: meditate, meditate, meditate.

Last edited by Vid333; 11-11-2023 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism