Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 PM

30 posts, read 14,813 times

Advertisements

I think Ali would have had no problem in beating Tyson. Ali would have taken what punishment Tyson gave him in the first few rounds, then worn him down and toyed with him.

I also disagree Tyson was a coward. He used what he had to the best of his ability. He was not pretty, he was not articulate, he was not a role model, and because of that, I think folks think ill of him (i.e., he was just too ghetto for white people). On the other hand, Ali and others were "pretty" and made for good television. They knew how to use PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:02 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Tyson is overrated. He fought scrubs. Not his fault but the hand he was dealt most of his career. He lost every fight against quality opposition.
Spinks and Green werent scrubs
Berbick wasnt a scrub

It would be different if it was a 20 year old Tyson vs a 20 year old Holyfield, or a 20 year old Lewis, and you know it

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'd add a prime Riddick Bowe. 7" height advantage, 10" reach advantage, 50 lb advantage. As unfair as this comparison is when factoring in the sheer size difference I don't see a prime Tyson standing much chance. Same with both Klitschko, probably. Too much size given away coupled with not enough tomato can lack of talent. But pound for pound, Tyson may be the best heavyweight in history - certainly somewhere at the top of the heap.
You act like Tyson was some scrawny little guy. He was a bulking, muscular machine. He might have been short, but there's advantages on the inside. He would be quicker with the uppercut once inside. Quicker to the body.

Your whole idea that no pro athletes are cowards is ridiculous. We definately don't agree there. He even stated himself how growing up he was bullied and that he was always afraid. Most boxers or fighters have fear. Thats not what I mean by being a coward. A coward in Mike's case was when things got tough, he lacked the mental fortitude to stay in the ring and continue to fight. The biting of Holyfields ear was not about being a sore loser as you say. It was an honest fight or flight moment. Holyfield was giving it to him and Mike got scared. You can debate this forever, but I stand by my assessment. He was a bad mother f'er when guys were scared, as most bullys are. When guys showed that they weren't afraid, he became a different fighter. It does sound harsh, and again, nobody was as exciting in their prime to watch. But Tyson had a bully complex, and deep down he was a fighter who struggled with his demons/ fears. Every fighter has fear. But every fighter doesn't let it get the best of him like Tyson did.

I think deep down Mike suffered from depression and low self-esteem. He did not have the wherewithal to overcome those demons without that father figure like Cus Demato to guide him. So much talent, but he did not have the mental strength to overcome all of those obstacles. He had a very rough beginning, so I'm not blaming him for not being able to overcome those challenges. Most people would not have been able to overcome all of those internal issues. But that's also why everyone can't be a Muhamed Ali.

Flip side to all of that is look what having heart did to Ali in the long run. He took one too many punches.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
You act like Tyson was some scrawny little guy. He was a bulking, muscular machine. He might have been short, but there's advantages on the inside. He would be quicker with the uppercut once inside. Quicker to the body.

Your whole idea that no pro athletes are cowards is ridiculous. We definately don't agree there. He even stated himself how growing up he was bullied and that he was always afraid. Most boxers or fighters have fear. Thats not what I mean by being a coward. A coward in Mike's case was when things got tough, he lacked the mental fortitude to stay in the ring and continue to fight. The biting of Holyfields ear was not about being a sore loser as you say. It was an honest fight or flight moment. Holyfield was giving it to him and Mike got scared. You can debate this forever, but I stand by my assessment. He was a bad mother f'er when guys were scared, as most bullys are. When guys showed that they weren't afraid, he became a different fighter. It does sound harsh, and again, nobody was as exciting in their prime to watch. But Tyson had a bully complex, and deep down he was a fighter who struggled with his demons/ fears. Every fighter has fear. But every fighter doesn't let it get the best of him like Tyson did.

I think deep down Mike suffered from depression and low self-esteem. He did not have the wherewithal to overcome those demons without that father figure like Cus Demato to guide him. So much talent, but he did not have the mental strength to overcome all of those obstacles. He had a very rough beginning, so I'm not blaming him for not being able to overcome those challenges. Most people would not have been able to overcome all of those internal issues. But that's also why everyone can't be a Muhamed Ali.

Flip side to all of that is look what having heart did to Ali in the long run. He took one too many punches.
For you to judge Mike Tyson a coward, your life must be a towering list of achievements. Please share them.
It's all relative, compared to fighters like Lewis he's a shrimp. Compared to your normal guy he's huge. Sorry I had to spell such a simple concept out to you.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
For you to judge Mike Tyson a coward, your life must be a towering list of achievements. Please share them.
It's all relative, compared to fighters like Lewis he's a shrimp. Compared to your normal guy he's huge. Sorry I had to spell such a simple concept out to you.
Ok, you're right and I'm wrong. And yes my lifes a complete mess and I'm a nothing human being, (like wtf) because I said that Tyson was a coward. Great reasoning skills.

Because you apparently lack the skills for an honest debate. I'm out of this thread. Learn how to agree to disagree without having to make it personal, it will help you in the long run.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, you're right and I'm wrong. And yes my lifes a complete mess and I'm a nothing human being, because you apparently lack the skills for an honest debate. I'm out of this thread. Learn how to agree to disagree without having to make it personal, it will help you in the long run.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Bye.
You're kind of like Mike in a way. Nothing but a bully. Someone doesn't agree with you and then you attack them. You are really displaying such maturity. What are you twelve? Pot meet kettle.

Grow up kid.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You're kind of like Mike in a way. Nothing but a bully. Someone doesn't agree with you and then you attack them. You are really displaying that maturity. Pot meet kettle.
Thought you left?

Old 07-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thought you left?
I'll leave when I'm good and ready. Grow up kid.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I'll leave when I'm good and ready. Grow up kid.
Ok, stick around - keep making comments about sports legends being cowards to show your stupidity. Superpansy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing